PDA

View Full Version : repairing lee 6 cavity sprue handle + mold handles

DerekP Houston
05-06-2016, 11:11 AM
Just looked over my favorite mold and noticed I have cracked the both wooden handles on it. Anyone have a favorite method for repairing these? I figure an epoxy or glue filling might work but you guys might have some more experience.

Thanks!

Walter Laich
05-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Do the handles have the metal ferrule on them? That will go along way in deciding the repair.

I've epoxied all my Lee handles on as I was tired of them falling off all the time. Did the sprue handle, too.
One thing you might want to watch for is the heat softening the epoxy. I used JB Weld and haven't had any problems.
might want to find a piece of tubing and cut some ferrules if yours doesn't have any.

I've also made new ones using my wood lathe.

good luck

DerekP Houston
05-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Do the handles have the metal ferrule on them? That will go along way in deciding the repair.

I've epoxied all my Lee handles on as I was tired of them falling off all the time. Did the sprue handle, too.
One thing you might want to watch for is the heat softening the epoxy. I used JB Weld and haven't had any problems.
might want to find a piece of tubing and cut some ferrules if yours doesn't have any.

I've also made new ones using my wood lathe.

good luck

JB weld was my initial thought, thanks for confirming. Cypress TX you are just up the road from me! These all have the ferrules on them, I will epoxy them up this evening and let it cure over the weekend. Indeed the handles started slipping/falling off first and then one bad move cracked it.

Jal5
05-06-2016, 01:55 PM
The ones I have had to modify all used JB Weld and had no further problems.

country gent
05-06-2016, 05:15 PM
I use JB Weld and pin them when the glues cured. I work enough glue into the handles holes that it sqishes out when assembled together and clamp them in place while curing. I also clean excess with still soft. When cured it locate a pin hole .060-.090 dia thru handles and tangs then pin with a brass pin. peening riveting ends over on both sides. If handles are cracked pressing and clamping the handles should push epoxy out the ends and thru the cracks making a strong joint repair. The pins help with holding and keeping the handles from lossening.

John Boy
05-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Wrap the wood tightly with brass wire - cover with an insulating material ... and next time, bring the mold up to temperature before strangling the handles to cut the sprue.
Still not broken - a vintage approx 1980 Lee 6 cavity [smilie=1:

Dusty Bannister
05-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I use high temperature silicone sealant instead of epoxy. Still gives a little flex and plenty of grip to prevent the handles coming loose in the future.

leadman
05-11-2016, 08:41 AM
The metal of the older molds that the handle slide on is pretty smooth. I use a Dremel to grind some of the metal at the corners to give the epoxy and area to flow into and this locks the handle in place when the epoxy sets up. The newer handles have something similar according to Andy Lee.