PDA

View Full Version : Can I coat store bought lubed boolits?

Smithboy1
05-06-2016, 08:11 AM
I've searched and can't find an answer. I have thousands of store bought lead bullets that have lube in the grooves and have been sized so they are ready for loading. Can I bake them, remove the lube and coat them? Anyone try this? Thanks

JWT
05-06-2016, 08:29 AM
You will have to completely remove the lube before you coat. You will most likely have to size after coating as well. I would use them as-is or melt them before going to the trouble of coating them.

C. Latch
05-06-2016, 08:41 AM
If you can convince yourself that it's a good idea, sure.

bangerjim
05-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Been discussed many times on here.

All.....and I mean ALL......grease lube will have to be totally removed. I use a 2 stage laq thinner bath and then rinse in Simple Green + HOT water then just HOT water.

Works every time - - I have done many MANY hundreds of old dirty greasy chunky boolits for powder coating using this method.

Or just re-melt and cast new ones!

bangerjim

DerekP Houston
05-06-2016, 10:23 AM
I think it would be far easier to just tumble them in some BLL and shoot as is.

runfiverun
05-06-2016, 10:53 AM
if it's the normal micro-wax most commercial casters use just boil them in a pan the lube will float out to the top and form a cake as it cools.
a quick trip through an acetone bath and you'd be ready to coat.

Smithboy1
05-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. After shooting a bunch of coated bullets I have no desire to shoot plain lubed lead since there is an alternative. I'll try the above suggestions for cleaning and then try coating them, hopefully it will work. If not, I'll keep shooting lead. Thanks very much for posting.