PDA

View Full Version : Small all rubber butt pad

abunaitoo
05-05-2016, 09:57 PM
I'm looking for a all rubber butt pad for a Rem 514 I'm playing with.
Can't find anything small enough.
I know I'm going to have to shape it.
Most of them have a metal plate molded in them for support.
The plate is to big for the stock.
Looking for something all rubber without the plate in it.
Anyone know of a place I might be able to find something like this????

waksupi
05-06-2016, 12:00 AM
Call Brownell's gunsmith hot line, ask them.

bullet maker 57
05-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Did you try Gun Parts?

sav300
05-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Try a cheep pair of foot thongs,think yankees call them filp flops.Cut to shape

fecmech
05-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Kickeez makes smaller pads that might work for you. You can grind them down very small as the base plate is not metal.

victorfox
05-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Lol i liked the flip flop idea! I also liked the name "foot thong". Here in Brazil they are called "lambreta" in the north (lambreta means those old small motorcycles eg Italian vespa) and we generally call them the brand name Havaianas (mean Hawaiians).
I replied this before but don't appear. Try airgun buttpads. My 177 is about the size of my pump .22. My .22 airgun buttpad is almost as big as my 12ga's.

leadman
05-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Boyd's gunstocks uses some thin pads on their stocks. might try them.

olafhardt
05-06-2016, 06:59 PM
I have done several out of shower shoe soles. The first on a 30 06 was in the 80's and it is still in use. I find the Stanley Sureform tools helpfull in shapeing them. I glue them on with Shoe Goop or other good rubber cement. For a thin one I would look at slip resistant rubber shelf lining.

MaryB
05-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Tick Bite Supply makes a pad for the mosin that is all rubber that could be sanded down to size...

Frank46
05-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Sims also make slip on recoil pads in small, medium,and large. The small will fit 870 pumps, most marlin lever actions and a bunch of others. Put one on one of my 870 pumps and does make a difference when firing buckshot or slugs. Wally World usually has these in stock at the gun dept for about 23.99. At least our local one has them. Frank

clearcut
05-06-2016, 11:17 PM
I call them Chinese safety shoes but they make great butt pads.Get them at the $1 store yup for a buck.

CC

HangFireW8
05-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm looking for a all rubber butt pad for a Rem 514 I'm playing with.
Can't find anything small enough.
I know I'm going to have to shape it.
Most of them have a metal plate molded in them for support.
The plate is to big for the stock.
Looking for something all rubber without the plate in it.
Anyone know of a place I might be able to find something like this????

Pardon me for being blunt, but how do you expect any help without giving us the dimensions?

country gent
05-07-2016, 10:13 PM
There are some very good 2 part polyuretanes that are easy to work with can be colored. Tey are available in diffrent hardnesses and also adhere well to metal or wood. In a bind or lacking what you want A few wraps of tape around butt stock with desired thickness above stock. Mix pour and let cure. Most are whitesh clear color but can be colored also. I believe pint kints are available, we had quart and gallon size at work

abunaitoo
05-09-2016, 03:11 PM
I first thought of doing this, but shipping the stuff is not worth the cost.
I used to buy it off of ebay. Seems it cannot be mailed anymore without going through all the hazmat BS.

There are some very good 2 part polyuretanes that are easy to work with can be colored. Tey are available in diffrent hardnesses and also adhere well to metal or wood. In a bind or lacking what you want A few wraps of tape around butt stock with desired thickness above stock. Mix pour and let cure. Most are whitesh clear color but can be colored also. I believe pint kints are available, we had quart and gallon size at work

abunaitoo
05-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Pardon me for being blunt, but how do you expect any help without giving us the dimensions?

1 1/4" wide
4 1/2" tall
1/4' thick.

country gent
05-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Didnt realize it required hazmat. We used it at work for some parts and for moulds for others. I had a supply on hand when I was working. LOL. I believe it is used by some doctors for moulds for things also. You might check and see if there is a shop in your area doing polyurethane casting.

abunaitoo
05-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Didnt realize it required hazmat. We used it at work for some parts and for moulds for others. I had a supply on hand when I was working. LOL. I believe it is used by some doctors for moulds for things also. You might check and see if there is a shop in your area doing polyurethane casting.

Used to be they would mail it to us.
Someone decided it should be hazmat, so now it is.
There are so many things that used to be good to ship, that are now hazmat.
Hazmat charge is not the problem. It's the "special handling" charge that's a killer.

country gent
05-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Yes those shipping and handling charges are a pain and sometimes dang expensive. It would be more like plastic than rubber but died accraglass ( liquid not the Gell) die black or the desired color might also do what you want. If you want a color other than black or brown most canoe shops have dye kits in stock so patches match the canoe being repaired. A hobby type store may have a rubber/polyurethane casting material also.