PDA

View Full Version : loose hand guard cap on AR15

rodsvet
05-05-2016, 01:10 AM
I have 4 M4's from various makers and all have hand guard cap movement at the FSB. Has anyone spot welded the cap from the inside to the front sight base? It seems like a quick fix that would be invisible and could be removed later with the sight base if needed. Anyone??

bruce drake
05-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Why do you think you need to tack a weld on? If the FSB base is properly located the handguard cap should be snugged down on the shoulder of the barrel and the FSB should be snug against the cap with limited play. You want it (the cap) to have just a touch of play to allow for the hand guard to click into place easily . If you don't like the play in the cap, purchase a free floated handguard where the cap has no influence on the handguard at all.

Bruce

waksupi
05-05-2016, 02:23 PM
Some rifles require a bit of slop to allow for expansion as the barrel heats up.

Mk42gunner
05-06-2016, 12:36 AM
The funky coil spring under the delta ring should put enough tension on the hand guards to hold them in place. There may be some small movement, but they shouldn't rattle.

If it really bothers you do as Bruce suggested and go with the free float hand guards.

Robert

BeMan
05-09-2016, 07:34 AM
Midway did have the Hogue free float hand guards on clearence for $19.95 about 2 weeks ago and I bought 2 of them for my rifles.

rodsvet
05-09-2016, 08:08 PM
I have Magpul SL and really like them as opposed to the aluminum stuff. A small spot weld from inside to the rear of the FSB stops all movement and is easily reversible by removing the FSB and lightly grinding off the small weld. I just wondered if any one here had done it. Rod