PDA

View Full Version : Ringed barrel?

wonderwolf
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I have a Ruger 45LC blackhawk that I've been running various test loads out of for a few months now. Nothing seemed wrong with it until I let a friend run the last of an allotment of a load I did not like through it to just to make some brass and so he could have fun shooting it. The loads were 8 gr of unique with a keith 250gr 9 gr of unique with a 200gr semi wadcutter. I discovered the gun really just likes 2400 and have run 18gr 19gr and 20gr of 2400 through it with a keith 250. But only 200 rounds in all were run through the gun 100 being the 9gr unique and 200swc load.

I cleaned the gun today and it seems as though there is a slight ring about 1/2" from the forcing cone of the gun. its very slight but it is there. I don't know which load might be the culprit but I do know the 2400 loads did speak up when I shot them. primers looked good though. This RBH is not a safe queen it is a drag and beat up gun for backpacking and such. I'm just want to understand what caused the ring as I 've never run into anything like it with a revolver.

Ricochet
05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Most common reason for a ring is a bullet hitting some sort of obstruction in the barrel. Stuck bullet, cleaning patch, whatever... They don't always burst, especially with moderate pressure & velocity handgun loads, and where the bullet velocity at impact with the obstruction is fairly low as it is early in the barrel travel.

It's fairly easy with a revolver to miss a "squib" load as the gas coming out the cylinder gap still makes a "POP!" Just doesn't make any recoil, and it's not as loud as normal. If you don't immediately stop and check the bore, but cock or squeeze the trigger to fire again, the next bullet knocks the stuck one out but will likely bulge the barrel.

wonderwolf
05-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Perhaps my light loads were a little too light. I've settled on 2400 as a powder and that kieth 250 as my main bullet so I'll just be sure to not load light ones. I know with each shot a bullet left the barrel as I was watching my friend do the shooting. And non of them sounded off from the others. But I guess stranger things have happend. Shouldn't hurt anything in the long run I guess. Cept bug me that I let something like that happen.

dubber123
05-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Perhaps my light loads were a little too light. I've settled on 2400 as a powder and that kieth 250 as my main bullet so I'll just be sure to not load light ones. I know with each shot a bullet left the barrel as I was watching my friend do the shooting. And non of them sounded off from the others. But I guess stranger things have happend. Shouldn't hurt anything in the long run I guess. Cept bug me that I let something like that happen.

It is just as likely NOT a "Ring" per say, but rather a TIGHT spot where the threads in the frame have constricted the bore. I have found this to be a very common ailment in revolvers.

The barrel is pretty thin inside the frame, and it is a tight "crush" fit to the barrel threads. When the barrel is threaded in, it actually squeezes the bore down a bit. Firelapping is a good remedy here.

slughammer
05-12-2008, 05:24 PM
If it is a ring, you should be able to see it, or at least measure it with a micrometer.

I was slugging my GP100 yesterday and could feel a slight barel constriction at the front of the frame, then a free spot, then a tight spot again in the forcing cone. That was going "tight-free-tight" all in the distance of 1/2-3/4 of an inch.

smokemjoe
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I ringed my 9MM Sten, write up in the F.S. last month or back one. Mine looks like broken glass in a ring . Stuck bullet just in front of the lead. If you have a ring your very well know it.It still shots the same. Just not good for your pride. Joe

Wicky
05-12-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a ruger 22 mk1 with 3 rings in the barrel and it still shoots way better than me - 342/400 at 25 mtrs and only cost $100. Also when I was a member of the local pistol club both our club 38s had rings, from squib loads - 3 bullets stuck at once!!, and the both shot OK.
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the gun doesn't shoot and make sure your loads are sufficient to clear the barrel.

yeahbub
05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
This is not uncommon in revolvers that use a 60 deg thread form. They're cranked in there extremely tight and sometimes the threads deform along the profile of the thread surface and cause a constriction, sometimes they stretch the threaded shank and cause a "wedding band" of a loose spot. I have a SBH that I sent back for the latter problem which I could definitely feel using a paper clip. They replaced the barrel, but I wondered if they would torque the replacement in as tightly as the first and send it back looking the same. It turned out okay.

targetshootr
05-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Yep, a tight spot. I put a barrel on one of my 45 Blackhawks with too much torque and it caused a ring so off it came. Send it back to the factory for a free fix.

wonderwolf
05-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Ah ha, it is a high spot...don't know why I didn't notice it before. K I don't feel so bad now and I can go back to loading some more 2400 bear stopping loads and shot loads for snakes for this summers hiking trips the girl and I are planning.

leftiye
05-12-2008, 11:02 PM
If it's like the tight spot yeahbub, and target shooter are talking about, a pass or two over the barrel shank threads with an adjustable die set light, and tightened as necessary should take most, maybe all of that out. Available at Brownell's (about 80 dollars though). Too bad them thangs don't have standard threads! Also, you can clean that up some with fire lapping (lots cheaper) with lead boolits.

wonderwolf
05-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I'll leave it and do some further accuracy testing. My goal is to be able to have a 250gr keith bullet worked up for bears and shot loads worked up for snake. Or medium SWC loads for the snakes. Although there is a chance the girlfriend would need to use the gun so I'm thinking just shot loads for snakes.

Now my Q is since the bullet is traveling though this tight spot what happens after my WW water quenched bullet gets past that tight spot? Does it slug up or what? I've only run about 500 rounds of ammo through this thing. And I'm rather surprised I didn't see the tight spot till just this weekend and I've had the gun since last summer/fall

dubber123
05-13-2008, 03:52 AM
[QUOTE=wonderwolf;338006]
Now my Q is since the bullet is traveling though this tight spot what happens after my WW water quenched bullet gets past that tight spot? Does it slug up or what?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats the biggest reason I mentioned the firelapping. There is a good chance your loads DON"T fully slug up after the restriction, especially if they are hard, and water quenched WW's are PLENTY hard.

I think this is the biggest reason alot of revolvers will lead just after the forcing cone. My 625 is particularly bad, and I need to firelap it. Removing this restriction is reported to help with velocity, accuracy and fouling.

wonderwolf
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
I actually have a 625 that leads pretty bad at the forcing cone as well!