PDA

View Full Version : And another one bites the dust!

snuffy
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
While shooting in an IDPA shoot on Saturday, my shooting buddy asked to borrow some of my 45 acp loads. These are my lee 6 banger 200 RF boolits. Tumble lubed but not sized, they drop at .453. I was also shooting them. The alloy is 17# of near pure lead, 3 # linotype. He liked them so much, he asked to come out and cast some to load for himself.

I had the pot hot by the time he got here, so I sat down and run 4-5 pours while he watched. Then he took over, and I watched as a smile slowly spread across his face!:-D He then asked about if I had a 9mm mold. Silly question!:mrgreen: The lee tumble lube TC 125 grainer, 6 banger got started to heat up on my propane camp stove. # hours lated he had a nice pile of both the 45's and the ,355's. I gave him a couple bottles of LLA and explained how to coat them.

During the conversation, he said he was going to look into getting set up to cast his own. It just happened I have an old 10 pounder lee production pot doing nothing,(my new one is a pro 20). Well, he left with it, those 2 6 bangers, and enough lead to get started casting.

He's hooked!:drinks: He is about 30 YO, so another young,(well compared to this old coot), caster has joined our ranks.:Fire:

PS, I'm the guy that got him started loading too.

billyb
05-12-2008, 01:48 PM
That is a neat story. Some one that enjoys a hobby and brings a new fellow into the hobby.I have not had any luck getting anyone into casting but i have several younger club members getting started reloading. Bill

NSP64
05-12-2008, 01:57 PM
There are a few people at work that I chat with about reloading, some ask questions. I am casting a few boolits for them to reload, maybe this fall I'll reel them in.[smilie=1:

beagle
05-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Them yougins' don't never listen to what old guys say until it bites them in the butt./beagle

454PB
05-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Bless you for introducing a new guy to casting (and handloading)!

Down South
05-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Sounds like a great time. I have folks over from time to time when I'm smelting or casting. They usually like to take over and cast or smelt themselves.

Bigjohn
05-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Snuffy; what did you use for bait?

Send him to the forum.

I no longer use commercial cast boolits in any of my firearms; UNLESS their free.

John

birddog1520
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Good job Snuffy,

I wish I would have had someone to show me about casting when I was younger I probably would have started long before I did.

Randy, The Birddog.

RustyFN
05-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Way to go Snuffy.:drinks:
Rusty

454PB
05-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Hey Rusty, is that you in your avatar? It looks a lot like a young Frank Zappa.