PDA

View Full Version : S&W K-22 front sight

roysha
05-04-2016, 12:28 PM
I have an old 5 screw K-22 with a 6" barrel that shoots about 4" high at 18 yards. The rear sight is down tight on the frame. The front sight is pinned so I assume it is replaceable. Does anyone know where I can find a higher front sight with the patridge post. I really don't want to start beating up on this gun because except for some blue wear and just overall age related color change, it is in excellent condition. However, I would change out the front sight if I could find one high enough.

This is with Super-X and Wildcat ammo. I suppose I could try some other ammo but it shoots this stuff quite well except for the high POI. I have LOTS of both so would prefer to use it if I can.

Dan Cash
05-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I would investigate a lower rear sight blade first. I think Smith made them in 3 heights.

376Steyr
05-04-2016, 05:04 PM
I wonder if somewhere along the way either the front sight or rear sight have been changed already. If the front sight doesn't look to have been filed on, I suspect the rear sight blade may have been changed out with an incorrect one.

I remember seeing a chart for S&W rear sight blades, using model numbers and barrel lengths, but I don't recall where I saw it. Brownells catalog maybe?

Scharfschuetze
05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Some quick math indicates that you'll either need to raise the front sight or lower the rear sight blade about .052" to zero up at 18 yards.

If your rear sight blade is high enough, some judicious file work should get to your zero. Use a caliper to keep track of how much you take off and confirm with rounds on a target.

The rear sight blade replacement suggestion is a good one.

Here are some S&W rear sights:

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Smith+%26+Wesson+rear+sight+blad e

Forrest r
05-04-2016, 06:02 PM
You should have a .146" rear sight leaf and a .325 high partridge front sight.http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/sightbladeheight1.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/sightbladeheight1.jpg.html)

The model 17 data on the above chart is the same as your 5-screw. For awhile I had a 5-screw and a 4-screw k-22. I sold the 5-screw and kept the 4-screw k-22. The sights were identical on my post war 5-screw and my 4-screw. I just measured my 4-screw to make sure the #'s are correct. After measuring:
Rear sight blade ='s .146"
Front sight blade ='s .325"

Hope this helps.

Nueces
05-04-2016, 06:42 PM
That's a very cool chart, Forrest. Thanks much.

Kirk Miller
05-04-2016, 10:58 PM
I just went through this myself. I needed narrower front sights on all of my revolvers. Stupid old eyes anyway! On the recommendation of a member of another board, I found " Dawson Precision". They have different heights, widths and styles for most handguns. Service was great, shipping fast and product is super.

Hope this helps.
Kirk

roysha
05-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Thank you all for the information.

I measured the rear sight and it measures .106, or so, therefore I believe someone must have filed down the front sight for whatever reason. My K-22 has a 6" barrel and I see according to the chart posted above that the .106 sight is listed for 3" & 4" barrels but not for the 6". Guess I'll just live with it until I run across a front sight that is taller.

sarge901
05-07-2016, 02:30 AM
I had the same problem with a 617. Called Smith & Wesson- they sent a new, higher front patridge blade. No charge. If you have the sight measured- height above the ramp- it'll speed things along. If that fails- Hamilton Bowen sells front sight blanks that will enable you to shape your own.