PDA

View Full Version : First attempt

drifterdon
05-03-2016, 12:29 AM
I made up some Simple Lube today using 50% beeswax and 50% Sta-Lube High Pressure Moly Graph. I came out a little softer than I expected. Would another couple ounces of beeswax make it a little harder? I don't want to get it too hard though. Has anyone else had any experience with this formula?

Thanks

noisewaterphd
05-03-2016, 09:28 PM
I've never made the Simple Lube recipe, but yes, more beeswax will stiffen it up.

runfiverun
05-03-2016, 11:05 PM
that's not simple lube.

it is a simple lube though.
just add some more beeswax, I generally shoot for 35% grease and let everything sit overnight.
I can adjust after that.

drifterdon
05-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Thanks runfiverun,
After another search I see there is a lube called "Simple Lube".
Maybe I should have said "A" simple Lube instead of "some" simple lube. It is real simple as far as many I have read about go.
Thanks and I will add some more beeswax to get closer to 35/65 and seen how that works out.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-04-2016, 09:03 AM
Drifterdon, welcome to the forum.

I have used a homemade lube (called Lith-Bee) given to me from a fellow CB member . It was made with 50% Lithium grease(a soap-based one, but brand was unknown to me) and 50% beeswax, which would be similar to what you made. Yes it was softer than I like, it made a mess of my fingers while reloading ammo, and it smelled like a grease fire at the shooting range. I didn't like it, I didn't try to modify it, I just offered it to another member to use.

Some people like a softer lube, I recognized your recipe (it's Glen Fryxell's recipe) and I know Glen has posted it's his preferred recipe and has had success with it.

a PDF file, From the "files" folder at a public group on facebook called, Cast Bullets & Bullet Casting, posted by Glen Fryxell, September 15, 2015 at 9:50am

Moly lube recipe

Made another batch of moly grease bullet lube today, and thought I'd share the details as I get asked about this on a regular basis. First off, my lovely wife bought me a 2-quart aluminum pitcher at some clearance sale (I think she paid $1 for it). Using our kitchen scale, I weighed out 14 ounces of yellow beeswax (in chunks). Next, I went outside to our propane grill and fired up the little side burner that is supposedly there to heat sauces on (all I have ever used it for was making bullet lube), and placed the beeswax over a medium flame (in the pitcher). While that was melting, I took one 14 ounce tube of Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Moly-Graph All-Purpose Grease and removed both end caps. Using a butter-knife (dedicated to this purpose), I scooped out the grease into the pitcher. After all the grease was in the pitcher, I used the knife to stir the mixture until all the wax had melted. Then I turned the heat off, covered it with aluminum foil,and let it cool. All told, it took me about 10 minutes to make almost 2 lbs of bullet lube.

drifterdon
05-04-2016, 10:44 AM
Thanks JonB, Yes it is Glen's recipe. I have yet to try and lube some bullets with it. maybe when applied it will be better since there is so little on the bullet compared to a container full of the stuff. I will find out later today.

gwpercle
05-04-2016, 12:32 PM
My long time favorite is made up of:
3 - parts beeswax.
1 - part lithium grease (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) but any good lithium grease will do.
Works great for handgun velocities. Soft but not too messy. A touch of paraffin can be used to harden, I have been using it since the 70's in an unheated Lyman 450 .
Add some more beeswax ( maybe a dab of paraffin too) and see if that helps. Lube making involves a bit of try and see to get the consistency you want.

Gary