PDA

View Full Version : even more newby question....

ssn vet
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I was using the Lee sizer die last night for the first time.....

I initially pushed through gas checked and pan lubed bullets, cast from a 312-155 mold. Though the bullets were well lubed and many had wax smeered up beyond the lube and crimp groove, they seemed to be going through rough and dry. Some even had a shaving of copper pressed into the lube when they came out.

So I figured that the Lee set up may be specifically inteneded for use with the liquid alox they sell, so I tumble lubed a small batch and tried sizing again.......same story.

I'm just wondering if that small copper shaving may cause a problem???????

---------------

Is the LLA supposed to be that thick and goopy when it dries? Looks pretty discusting.....not uniformly coated and not uniform thickness where there is lube.

I shook it up well and it had the consistancy of maple syrup.

I've never put ammunition this crappy looking in any of my firearms.

--------------

I've read a myriad of bullet lube recipees on this site and they are usually extolled as "performing well with no leading". But what I don't understand is what ingredients do what? Does carnuba wax stiffen the lube and makes it dry harder?

Knowing what the purpose of the various ingredients would go a long ways towards targeting my own experimentation.

------------

thanks in advance for any help.

docone31
05-12-2008, 10:12 AM
The Lee Sizing dies, which I use exclusively, work with both LLA, and the goop I make for lubing. It is messy, to say the least.
I wipe the bottoms of the gas checks before loading. I get lube on my fingers, die, it is just a sticky, mess. However, the sized, lubed bullets do work.
I have found, a small lip on the bottom of the groove where the gas check goes can upset the gas check going through the die. I just scrape off any sprue plate drags before putting on the gas check. I have also found, lube on the gas check groove prevents full seating.
I have not had shavings cause a problem during firing the bullet. They just seem to go for the ride.
Remember, the shavings are also sized if they are in a groove. They do not seem to act as an obstruction.
The shaving was likely to have come from the previous gas check. It might have been a little off level when it went into the die.

leftiye
05-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds like you might have a rough die. Maybe try polishing it a bit?

454PB
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Are you sizing nose first?

What you describe is unusual, and normally caused by NO lube. The gas check needs to be fully seated on the boolit base before sizing, and I do that by placing it on the boolit, placing the boolit in the die opening (nose up), then giving it a light tap with the press ram before pushing it through.

I don't apply the LLA until after they are sized. I use resizing lube to lubricate them before sizing, it's far less messy. You only have to lube every third boolit or so.

ssn vet
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Are you sizing nose first?

yup....I snapped on the gas checks by hand and pushed them hard against the edge of my table, then pan lubed them and then sent them through the Lee sizing die nose up.

I use resizing lube to lubricate them before sizing, it's far less messy. You only have to lube every third boolit or so.

That sounds like an excellent idea. What sizing lube are you using?

Calamity Jake
05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Hornday One Shot works pretty good for a boolet sizing lube with the LPT dies.
Just spray a small bowl full and go to sizen.

454PB
05-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I use Smiling Mink boot waterproofing for everything, sizing, case reforming, swaging, boots, chapped lips, etc. It's about like Imperial sizing die wax, but costs about one tenth the price.