PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this barrel?

Traffer
05-02-2016, 11:22 PM
I am going to try building a break barrel rifle. I would like to build a 25-20 but not set on that yet. I see this barrel on eBay and the seller cannot identify it. Does anyone know what it is or can you tell me what bullets will work with that bore? Thanks. PS, one pic shows what I think is a gas hole. Is this barrel for a AR style rifle? Maybe a 6.5 Creedmore?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rifle-Barrel-6-6mm-wide-bore-20-5-8-long-/121968400276?hash=item1c65e21794:g:~VEAAOSwYmZXHlH z

fryboy
05-02-2016, 11:29 PM
No clue but the 'enhanced' word of " vintage" scares me because the feller doesn't have a clue ( honestly ) being with "some vintage parts " doesn't make it any more vintage than your kids if they visited great great grandma in a care home ....

Traffer
05-02-2016, 11:57 PM
No clue but the 'enhanced' word of " vintage" scares me because the feller doesn't have a clue ( honestly ) being with "some vintage parts " doesn't make it any more vintage than your kids if they visited great great grandma in a care home .... It doesn't look vintage to me. I don't care, the newer the better. I just need something that I can rechamber to a mild 25-26ish caliber round. It is the bore diameter that I need to know about. If this would work for a 25-20 I will scoop it up. For that price I will gamble.

Traffer
05-03-2016, 12:03 AM
​Here are some of the pics from eBay.167494167495

Rojelio
05-03-2016, 09:43 PM
It's a Swedish mauser barrel. 264 bullets will work. Also, that's not a gas hole it's where the set screw for the rear sight went.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Yes, it looks like a Mauser contour, and Swedish is extremely likely, although it isn't quite the right groove diameter. I rknow that we can expect this particular seller to get that right.

You could probably use it, but there are all sorts of potential snags. I think you could easily load your own .25-20 with slightly larger bullets, in ordinary dies but probably requiring a special mould and expander button. A button made for 6.5mm could be reduced slightly if required, by spinning in a drill between successive grades of abrasive paper. But you would need a chamber reamer with a pilot that accurately fits the bore, and that means special order or a detachable pilot. The twist will be too fast for a .25-20, which shouldn't be harmful with jacketed bullets, but probably would with cast. It looks like the barrel has been standing on a damp floor, and rust pitting may have extended enough into the chamber to produce hard extraction. For your cartridge you would obviously be amputating the whole chamber, but I would prefer to see whether rust has reached the rifling. With eBay you can probably return it, but it can be a hassle.

You have to reckon up how much your time, trouble, other investment and a good rifle action are worth to you, and whether you would really want to do all that with a barrel that might not be quite right. It might be worth paying more for a barrel of known specification.

Traffer
05-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Thanks, With the bore being a couple of thousandths too big for the 25-20, I'm just going to pass. Like you said many potential snags with this one.

flounderman
05-04-2016, 08:10 PM
I can't see the chamber but if it is a 6.5 jap it wouldn't be just flat, but recessed and an extractor cut. It looks like a commercial barrel rather than a military. The jap was a straight tube without taper or shoulders.