PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga. 3" Tri-ball range results

mac60
05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Had a little free time today, so decided to revisit the 3" Tri-ball load. My previous attempt at this were a dismal failure, so I just let it go. I changed the way I put them together and results were slightly better. What I'm hoping for is some advice on what I may be doing wrong. At any rate - components were as follows:

Hull: Fiocchi
Primer: Fiocchi
Powder: Blue Dot (27.5 gr. weighed and trickled)
Wad: Precision Reloading TUPRW123 with OS20 in wad under balls - wads dusted with mica. Petals slit with razor knife all the way down.
Projectile: 3 .600 RB (cast in Lee mould - dia. .600-.601). Cast of WDWW.
Crimp: Roll crimped with PR tool in drill press - OS12 over balls.
Buffer: PSB 2.2 cc. dipped with Lee scoop - vibrated in using media tumbler while holding balls in place with dowel.

I had 4 rds. (I only had 12 balls left). Targets were set a 40 yds. The first shot produced these results on target.

The spread is about 7 3/4". The bead was centered on the black - I thought maybe I had something and proceeded to fire the other 3 rds. The second target had 1 hole in the black with the other 2 off target (spread maybe 16-18 ins.). The other 2 targets were complete misses. I looked around and found 3 of the wads about 5 paces or so ahead of the firing line.

Am I allowing buffer to get under the bottom ball? Any thoughts?

Edit: They were shot through a Mossberg 500 with factory Mod. choke.

victorfox
05-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Mac, not Wanting to be a prick but i think you should have started a bit closer then finally at 40yd so you could have ideas of how stuff was shooting (eg low? To the left?). I tried such a longish shot this weekend at about same distance and was lucky to get somewhere in target. The shot went about 2ft low and more or less 9" right to where I was holding.
I can't comment on the load because I have no experience but i guess the boys will chime in and suggest a hard card below the ball.

mac60
05-02-2016, 09:01 PM
The center of the pattern is 5" high and 3" right of POA at 40 yds. I can deal with that later. There was an overshot card under the balls. I'm just curious as to what is causing the blown wad.

RMc
05-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Mac60,

The key to loading TriBall is having solid contact between each part of the payload.

Here is an alternative assembly method that has worked quite well:

-After seating the 20 ga OS card in the wad drop the first ball in and press it home firmly.

-Pour PBS buffer in until the first ball is almost covered - lead center clear.

-Insert second ball and pour buffer in until that ball is almost covered - lead center clear.

-Insert third ball and pour buffer in until the top ball is almost covered - press down firmly.

-Insert 12 ga OS wad and press in place.

-Roll crimp.

You will notice this approach does not require vibrating. PSB buffer flows readily w/o vibrating.

I believe the problem many are running into is vibrating the buffer in. Somehow, the buffer gets under the bottom ball - this sets the stage for wad failure.

Try this approach and let us know how it works out.

Also:

Regarding POA and POI with TriBall:

Try patterning from a standing rest, that is get a short ladder and place a single sandbag on top. This replicates to a degree how the shotgun is held in field shooting.

The long barrel time combined with heavy recoil tends to make the gun rise up and to the side slightly just before projectile exit - when fired from a conventional benchrest.

I find little or no difference in point of impact between patterning with a standing rest and shooting from a field position.

-

mac60
05-03-2016, 10:21 PM
RMc - Thank you so much for your reply. I will definitely heed your advice as to assembly. I fired all 4 offhand (unsupported). I have to get more balls cast up, but as soon as I get a chance I'll post the results. There is land just a few miles from the house I might have access to next year that is just crawling with pigs - they sometimes get a dozen or more on game cam pics.

victorfox
05-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Hi Mac. I see your point. In the previous answer I meant a card under the wad. Have you checked some old threads by vdeomemories, turbo1889 and others? I remember seeing them put a 20ga I think nitro card under most of their ball loads. Hth

mac60
05-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Hi Mac. I see your point. In the previous answer I meant a card under the wad. Have you checked some old threads by vdeomemories, turbo1889 and others? I remember seeing them put a 20ga I think nitro card under most of their ball loads. Hth

I miss ajay's input greatly. I have read most of what he contributed here - turbo's too. I think a hard nitro card would be counter productive in Tri ball. What is recommended is an overshot card - which I had under the balls. RMc seems to think maybe allowing buffer to get under the bottom ball is somehow contributing to the wad failure you see in the pics - which in turn I believe is responsible for the large spread. There aren't many that have more knowledge or experience with the Tri ball load than him, so as soon as I can I'm gonna get some more balls cast up and give his recommendation as to seating the balls a try. I'd very much like this to be successful. If I could get a consistent spread of 6-8" at 40 yds. I'd be satisfied.

victorfox
05-04-2016, 06:41 PM
I'm in your shoes with my own load attempts. Keep going brother!

Blood Trail
05-05-2016, 01:06 AM
I don't think your first ball is seated tightly in the bottom of the wad. I had the same thing happen with my blue rigid sabots from BPI and also my triball 12 ga version. I bought some cork overshot cards to place in the base of the wad.

Have you tried any other chokes besides mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpileri
05-05-2016, 09:17 AM
When I load mine, I take a rounded dowel and really push that hard card into the bottom of the wad, making it take a concave shape. The first ball sits on that.
Ive never had a blown wad w my Tri-Ball loads.
(Although, I am lazy and am about to order more from Dixie since they work great)
C-

mac60
05-05-2016, 08:04 PM
I don't think your first ball is seated tightly in the bottom of the wad. I had the same thing happen with my blue rigid sabots from BPI and also my triball 12 ga version. I bought some cork overshot cards to place in the base of the wad.

Have you tried any other chokes besides mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blood Trail - I thought sure I had the balls seated firmly in the wad - it's possible I didn't though. I had high hopes of getting this done with what I have on hand without ordering more components. I thought of 20 ga. felt - which I do have on hand. Doesn't the cork raise the top ball way up above the top of the wad? What thickness are the cork wads you're using? I haven't tried anything other than mod. in the Mossberg - I thought about trying the factory full choke. They have me bowed up at work and I can't even find the time to get more balls cast up. They'll ease up on me sooner or later. Everything is on hold till I can cast some balls. I'm getting top notch advice here and plan on putting it all together sooner or later. I appreciate you chiming in though buddy.

cpileri - I just dropped the bottom ball in the wad on top of the os card and pushed firmly with a piece of dowel. I do see the advantage of the concave shape for the bottom ball to rest in. I'm making some kind of fundamental mistake, but can't figure out what it is. I appreciate your input.

Blood Trail
05-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Blood Trail - I thought sure I had the balls seated firmly in the wad - it's possible I didn't though. I had high hopes of getting this done with what I have on hand without ordering more components. I thought of 20 ga. felt - which I do have on hand. Doesn't the cork raise the top ball way up above the top of the wad? What thickness are the cork wads you're using? I haven't tried anything other than mod. in the Mossberg - I thought about trying the factory full choke. They have me bowed up at work and I can't even find the time to get more balls cast up. They'll ease up on me sooner or later. Everything is on hold till I can cast some balls. I'm getting top notch advice here and plan on putting it all together sooner or later. I appreciate you chiming in though buddy.

cpileri - I just dropped the bottom ball in the wad on top of the os card and pushed firmly with a piece of dowel. I do see the advantage of the concave shape for the bottom ball to rest in. I'm making some kind of fundamental mistake, but can't figure out what it is. I appreciate your input.

James at Dixie Slugs recommended a cork or nitro card under the base ball. I reload them for 12 ga so I have no idea what size will be need for 20. I'd be curious to see how yours shoot through a full choke.

mac60
05-06-2016, 06:00 PM
I'm reloading for 12 ga. 3". The overshot card I'm putting in the wad under the bottom ball is 20 ga. What exactly is recommended? A 20 ga. overshot card or an over powder nitro card?

RMc
05-06-2016, 06:12 PM
A 20 ga. overshot card

mac60
05-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Ok - I thought I had it right. I might have time today to cast some balls.