PDA

View Full Version : What did I score?

allen16323
05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Was wanting help identifying this lead. I was given 2 bars roughly 22-24 # each with open eyelet at one end and half egg shaped. Researched and have been told it Linotype. Is this assumption correct? Can't get the pic to load sorry, from description can anyone help?

Hickory
05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Put it on a bench with about 1/4 of it hanging over give it a good hard whack with a hammer.
If it breaks and shows crystal formation it's line-o-type.
Or you can suspend it with wire and tap it with a hammer if it rings it maybe line-o-type.

fryboy
05-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Good chance but ..I myself have seen the lino ingot molds for sale for cheep ( that's cheaper than cheap ) conversely you can just break off a ear but ...unless you know what you're looking for you may still be in the dark,the crystalline texture mentioned above is a good indicator but once again it won't tell you if it's fresh lino or depleted or somewhere in the middle ,if it breaks and looks like stated the odds increase dramatically that it is ( clear as mud huh ? Lolz )

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-02-2016, 07:36 PM
That sure sounds like your ingots were made from a Linotype melter and poured into a linotype ingot mold...as shown below....and I'd bet it's a 50% chance the metal is linotype.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/StanDahl/Smelter.jpg

If I were you, I'd cast some boolits with this metal you just got, and measure the hardness. That will give you a real clue, as to what alloy that might be.

allen16323
05-02-2016, 08:43 PM
I am betting it is line-o-type because it has been sitting on a work bench shelf in a basement for the past 35-40 years. Was the gentleman's fathers old stash that gave it to me.

runfiverun
05-02-2016, 09:02 PM
should weigh right at 25 lbs.
smack it on the curb out front once or twice if it's lino it'll break.
when I want chunks off mine I use a hatchet and 2 2x4's
lay one of the flat edges up and hit it with the sharp point, do the other one across from it.
roll it over to the rounded edge up and smack it with the flat side of the hatchet.
it'll break right on the cuts.

Ural Driver
05-02-2016, 09:08 PM
I thinks its just some old scrap metal........could be something hazardous.....really.....you probably should send it to me so I can dispose of it for ya.[smilie=l:

allen16323
05-02-2016, 09:14 PM
I thinks its just some old scrap metal........could be something hazardous.....really.....you probably should send it to me so I can dispose of it for ya.[smilie=l:

Well I will save you the chance of contamination. I will break it down into small 309 diameter pieces and bury in at about 100ish fps.

Ural Driver
05-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Ok, but if you get so much as a hangnail anytime in the next 47 years, don't say I didn't try to help......[smilie=l: