PDA

View Full Version : well there was success in the beowulf project.

Lloyd Smale
05-02-2016, 02:12 PM
Shot my group by mold with w different hps and the solid version using 2 different alloys and came away with two useable loads. One I really like was the large hp cast out of 1/3 ww 2/3 pure. It shot 2 1/8 at a 100 yards for an average of two 5 shot groups. The solid version cast out of #2 water dropped did a bit better at right at two inch. Both plenty accurate for what that gun is used for. Best load is still with the reineer solid at 1 1/8 and the reineer hp at 1 1/2 but they cost money and are lighter and seem to hit my steel targets with not near the authority of the coated cast. Ive probably put 200 rounds down range in the last couple days with it and not a bit of leading in the barrel. I fooled with these same bullets a year or two ago and didn't get near as good results conventional lubesized. As a matter of fact the groups with the soft alloy were about twice what they were coated. Found out though that these bullets still need there gas checks. Without them the soft alloy wouldn't even consistently hit the target and the water dropped bullets were making about 6-8 inch groups. Kind of comical shooting it. both days I had the 9mm ar15 and a 223 that ive been playing with and my buddy showed up and helped me burn off some leftovers and he about went slack jawed the first time he shot the spinner with the beo. It about lifts it off the ground. Again id like to thank smoke and the others who helped me and put up with me through this. You taught an old dog a new trick!!!!

greenhornet-1
05-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Tell us moor about your molds. I just finished up a wulf and was looking for a mold to cast and coat so i could afford to feed this thing!

Never mind, I see it was a group buy mold. Still need info on that mold anyway!

Electric88
05-11-2016, 07:07 AM
Were you using the MiHec 502-385? It looks like a sweet mold. I haven't started reloading for the Wulf yet (time escapes me), but that is a mold that I will be using for sure.

greenhornet, you might try sending a pm to MiHec and seeing if he has any extras. It's been a little while now, but he may still have one or two laying around.

greenhornet-1
05-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Thanks 88, I'll check them out!

Lloyd Smale
05-12-2016, 06:16 AM
that's the mold

Were you using the MiHec 502-385? It looks like a sweet mold. I haven't started reloading for the Wulf yet (time escapes me), but that is a mold that I will be using for sure.

greenhornet, you might try sending a pm to MiHec and seeing if he has any extras. It's been a little while now, but he may still have one or two laying around.

Electric88
05-12-2016, 06:31 AM
Awesome Lloyd, glad to hear you are getting great results! I had picked up the mold in the last group buy, but just haven't been able to set aside to do the casting (I'm actually just getting into casting, so the little free time I do have is spent reading about it and getting ready!) I'm excited to use this mold for the Beowulf, as well as the S&W 500.

Keep up the good work man!

greenhornet-1
05-13-2016, 02:07 PM
I sent MiHec a PM hut hav'nt heard back yet. I hope he has one!

Electric88
05-13-2016, 02:12 PM
Sometimes it takes him a little while to respond. Don't worry, send him a reminder PM in a couple of days if you haven't heard back yet.

Smoke4320
05-13-2016, 03:42 PM
That's wonderful to hear Lloyd ..
Another convert .. Brings a smile to my face :)

I just love getting out my 458 socom AR and Blasting away at about 21 cents a round ( not counting the case cost)
.13 Powder, .03 primer, .05 bullet (liberal on that cost)
using RCBS 300, 98 2 mix and no gas check up to approx. 1575 FPS very very accurately

Lloyd Smale
05-14-2016, 07:16 AM
yup there a real hoot to shoot. Guy couldn't probably shoot 500 in a day but they will sure put a smile on your face when they smack things!! thanks to you I can take advantage of some cheap bullets for mine now. Maybe it will see a lot more shooting. Ive got a pretty good stash of renieers but they can be spotting for availability a lot of times so I'm hesitant to go and shoot them all up.

xacex
05-19-2016, 12:23 AM
I have had good luck with that bullet powder coated as well. So far reloader 7 gave the best results but I would like to just try the 10x once or twice. More than adequate I would say for deer or elk to 200 yards. Glad to hear another success with that combo.

Lloyd Smale
05-20-2016, 06:21 AM
I wouldn't be afraid to tackle ANY game animal in the US with that setup. Even big bear.
I have had good luck with that bullet powder coated as well. So far reloader 7 gave the best results but I would like to just try the 10x once or twice. More than adequate I would say for deer or elk to 200 yards. Glad to hear another success with that combo.