PDA

View Full Version : 8mm/303 wildcat or whatdahay

Bullshop
10-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Got a great buy on a pretty nice 303 at the gun show last week end for $50.00. Yup real nice and it has the micrometer rear sight too. He wanted $70 but snapped up my offer of $50 bout as fast as snake tung flicker. I kinda figured there would be something ammis but figgured the clip and sight was worth $50. Finaly shot it today and found it shoots my perty little .314" 165gn Saeco's sideways at 20 yards. HMMM? WHATDA!!! OH! thinks I it must be cleaning rod where at the muzzle, right? NOPE! WHATDA!!! Lets try a slugg through, OK WHATDA!!! .3135" x .3196" Cool I got me a 8mm/303 wild cat for 50 bucks. Anybody else lucky enough to have one of these or did I get the only good one. One more strange thing besides having an 8mm barrel is it has an 03 Springfield front sight. Yea WHATDA, thats what I said too!
BIC/BS

Four Fingers of Death
10-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Got a great buy on a pretty nice 303 at the gun show last week end for $50.00. Yup real nice and it has the micrometer rear sight too. He wanted $70 but snapped up my offer of $50 bout as fast as snake tung flicker. I kinda figured there would be something ammis but figgured the clip and sight was worth $50. Finaly shot it today and found it shoots my perty little .314" 165gn Saeco's sideways at 20 yards. HMMM? WHATDA!!! OH! thinks I it must be cleaning rod where at the muzzle, right? NOPE! WHATDA!!! Lets try a slugg through, OK WHATDA!!! .3135" x .3196" Cool I got me a 8mm/303 wild cat for 50 bucks. Anybody else lucky enough to have one of these or did I get the only good one. One more strange thing besides having an 8mm barrel is it has an 03 Springfield front sight. Yea WHATDA, thats what I said too!
BIC/BS

There were a number of rifles dropped by Aussies, New Zealanders and British soldiers in the Darfanelles (Anzac Cove) and other places. Some of these were converted (this was not normal, but these rifles were dropped in Turkey, so they didn't have to send them home). There were also a number converted to 8mm Mauser I'm told. I think you would be stretching the friendship there though. It may have been a stateside home made job using an old surplus Bbl also, especially seeing it has an 03' sight.

What is it? sounds like a No1 Mk111.

45 2.1
10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
That might not be a conversion. Alot of oldtimers talked of the early Lees having large bores they could use 32-40, 32 special or the 0.318 8mm bullets in. Take a fired case, remove any crimp left and measure the inside neck diameter. You can probably use a large sized down 32 special or 8mm bullet with the LEE collet dies to feed it with little alteration. Easy size down with a custom LEE push thru sizer or just hone one out yourself.

Bullshop
10-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Yup shure nuf I tried some 200gn .323" and they fly point on and plumb center. Tried two, one from LBT and one from NEI, both 200gn. They seat snuggly in fired cases, and the bolt closes with a bit of resistance. I think if I size to about .321" and turn about .002" off case necks all should be well. Not sizeing cases at all should make em last a goodly long while.
Mick
There are no mk numbers on the reciever but it is the same as my no4 mk1 Long Branch. The only thing I can find on the reciever is England on the right reciever ring, and on the left rear where the but stock joins there is a KC over 24010 and thats all. On the left side of reciever in line with the stripper opening about center on the flat there is a single threaded hole surrounded by a slightly larger counter sink. There is no thumb safty, the entire assembly is mssing, but the half cock works fine. On the front sight I dont know what it is, but it works fine. It looks like a Springfield type, a wrap arround band with a slot in it and a pin through the slot. This one is fitted with a very well flattened penny. I pulled the good micro rear sight and put on one of the two position type and filed the penny til we were hitting center at 100 yards with the lower battle sight up. Well she's up and runin, and soon as I can get a .321" die and turn a couple .000" of the necks she will be hunt worthy again. Bet that fella is thumbing through that $50.00 I give him and thinking theres a sucker born every minute.
BIC/BS

Four Fingers of Death
10-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Yup shure nuf I tried some 200gn .323" and they fly point on and plumb center. Tried two, one from LBT and one from NEI, both 200gn. They seat snuggly in fired cases, and the bolt closes with a bit of resistance. I think if I size to about .321" and turn about .002" off case necks all should be well. Not sizeing cases at all should make em last a goodly long while.
Mick
There are no mk numbers on the reciever but it is the same as my no4 mk1 Long Branch. The only thing I can find on the reciever is England on the right reciever ring, and on the left rear where the but stock joins there is a KC over 24010 and thats all. On the left side of reciever in line with the stripper opening about center on the flat there is a single threaded hole surrounded by a slightly larger counter sink. There is no thumb safty, the entire assembly is mssing, but the half cock works fine. On the front sight I dont know what it is, but it works fine. It looks like a Springfield type, a wrap arround band with a slot in it and a pin through the slot. This one is fitted with a very well flattened penny. I pulled the good micro rear sight and put on one of the two position type and filed the penny til we were hitting center at 100 yards with the lower battle sight up. Well she's up and runin, and soon as I can get a .321" die and turn a couple .000" of the necks she will be hunt worthy again. Bet that fella is thumbing through that $50.00 I give him and thinking theres a sucker born every minute.
BIC/BS

Goos to see it working out. Sorta equivalent to an 8mm/06 I suppose. Great woods gun.

If you ever strike the robbin bathtub (my mom's polite way of saying the illegitimate B word) again, don't forget to tell him how well it worked out.

Bullshop
10-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Mick
Yes she is working good. Shot some today with .323" NEI 195gn FNGC and 42gn old H 4831 and on the money at 100 yards. I get 3" verticle string but it aint the gun its my old eyes just cant tell when that post front is just touchin the target. This boolit seated to crimp groove is engraving half the first drive band on a chamberd round, and the bolt closes slick as a cow pickin her nose. I see a .321" die is standerd from Lyman or RCBS so I gota be nice to Mama.
BIC/BS