PDA

View Full Version : .41 mag Red Hawk

Big Dipper
05-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I bought a used Red hawk in 41 mag. I slugged the barrel (.410) now I would like to slug the cylinder. How do you do it? Do I remove the cylinder and drive a slug through the forcing cone? Do I need to remove the extractor and drive a slug through the back to the forcing cone? I am going to need some dies and a mold, probably a Lee tumble lube type. I have .44 mag dies, molds and sizing dies and top punch I hope to trade or sell to fund the .41 stuff.

runfiverun
05-01-2016, 09:35 PM
most use a pin gauge.
but just poking a 411 diameter boolit through will work.

contender1
05-02-2016, 09:26 AM
As noted,,, a pin gauge is what most folks use to check the dimensions of a cylinder, if they have one. Next, as noted,, a selected bullet is use, and if it fits, snugly, yet can be pushed through with the eraser end of a pencil using light pressure,,, you have the dimension. Driving a soft slug through one isn't necessary, and if not properly supported,, could possibly cause some damage to the cylinder.

Big Dipper
05-02-2016, 12:52 PM
I am glad I asked. Thank you. I used the slug from the barrel and inserted it in the chambers. Why didn't I think of that. I wasn't too comfortable with taking the cylinder out and beating it with a mallet.

Piedmont
05-02-2016, 08:10 PM
I use a slightly oversized roundball because I don't have pin gauges. There is less friction this way than pounding a soft bullet through because there is so much less surface area.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Now that you have your first question answered,
let me give you my opinion on Lee and 41:

As you may know, they only have the two designs in 41 and neither are offered in a 6 cav...which is a bummer. I'd recommend buying a NEW lee mold for $20 instead of buying what may be someone else's troubles. I really like the 195gr (non TL style), but beware if you find a older used mold, they are notoriously undersized. I have a one with the new style blocks, and it casts great and drops 'em at .4125
All I can really say about Lee's TL designs, is I don't like them, I'd rather tumble lube a standard lube groove boolit.
that's my 2¢

TL410-210-SWC
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90335.jpg

410-195-SWC
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90330.jpg

41mag
05-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I have both of the Lee molds and find them to work just fine for general all around shooting. I have lubed them both with 45/45/10 and with Carnuba Red and still got good results with most loads.

I do admit that I usually don't run them to the upper limits, but with a mid range load with one of the Accurate powders like 5,7, or 9, or with something like Unique or 2400 they work very well.

Recently I have powder coated up a bunch of the 215 TL ones but haven't had a chance to try them out. I figured those would be the ones I would work up to the upper end with. If you PC them they hold the powder GREAT if cast just a touch frosty. Once sized to .411, they look like they would hold up to any load.

I have to throw in here that my favorite has become the MP 412 or 413 in the 640 designs. Either of these shoots exceptionally well up tot he top end loads I have tried either using Carnuba Red or PC'ed. The oldest of three grandsons (14) and I were shooting the 220gr version out to 150yds last weekend with fairly decent results considering neither of us had done this before.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=167591&d=1462492279

We both had a ball and I now have around 250 of them coated up and ready to size for loading this weekend. Those grandsons have a way of pushing me to get things done....

osteodoc08
05-09-2016, 12:24 AM
I have to agree. I really love the 640 MP designs and hav bought several of his molds lately.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-09-2016, 08:24 AM
the Lee 41-195 over 5 grains of RedDot is a fun load to shoot