PDA

View Full Version : 38/56 BP boolit

Bear Tooth Billy
04-30-2016, 08:59 PM
I'm messing with an original Win. 1886 in 38/56, I got some boolits from Buff arms. 250gr. .379". My first loads were
on top of 56 gr swiss, 11" group at 50 yds. Next load was 51gr 2f Swiss and .7cc dipper of psb, much better, 2" group
at 50 yds. After about 5 shots the group got bigger as I think it's fouling out, no lube ring on the end of barrel. I slugged
it and it measured .380". So I think I need a bigger bullet .381" ? with more BP lube. Any suggestions on where I can get
boolits or a mold for this project. A big lube bullet would probably have enough lube but will it shoot out to 200 yds. I was looking at accurate molds but I want to make sure I get enough lube capacity for my 26" barrel. I want to use this for
NCOWS long range competition. I'll probably upgrade to a Marbles tang sight and aperture front sight.. Thanks for your
advice.
Billy

sharpshooter3040
04-30-2016, 10:26 PM
This is not a long range rifle the twist is too slow for one. 265 grain bullet moving around 1800 is about all you are going to get. 100 yard accuracy is very good with my old 86.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chill Wills
05-06-2016, 10:01 PM
I shoot one of these in 200meter silhouette matches. They have plenty of accuracy if the old rifle has much of the rifling left in it.
One thing, ....check your muzzle for cleaning rod wear. Accuracy sometimes gets cleaned right out of these old rifles by some old cowboy meaning to do the right thing. In that case a gunsmith can line it or if it is not to bad maybe just backbore and re-crown. Save the length of the barrel at all cost when making the repair. I know mine is on its last legs and I have a 38-56 chamber reamer ready for when the time comes to line it.

About the molds.
I have a gas check 6 cavity mold from when Walt ran NEI and it produces 379" sized bullets. Maybe larger if I tried. Buy they work in my '86. Your barrel might be just a tad bigger or you should try what you have in softer alloy.
Old West Bullet Molds out of Fruita, Colorado makes a few bullet molds for the 38 cal lever rifles. I have one of his plain base .381" 3-cavity molds 265gr. that I like a lot. The jury is out on which the rifle likes best, unsized or sized to .379" I cast then out of soft BPCR backstop scrap and they shoot well.

Bernie at Old West does not have much of a website but he is worth looking up and calling. He is a dedicated shooter and can help with a good mold.
-Michael Rix