PDA

View Full Version : NOE--so far so good!

rhill
04-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Just got done casting 250 boolits with my new NOE .311-150 for my blackout. These boolits look better than anything I have cast, EVER! My Lyman and Lee molds make boolits that are nowhere as good looking. All four cavities run a consistant .315 and 153gr. with the occasional 154gr. in the batch. Was hoping to try them as cast, but I think .315 is a bit large. That's ok,sizing them to .311 just guarantees consistancy. Going to first try them sized .311, one batch tumble lubed, one batch run thru the Lyman sizer with carnauba red, then do the same sized to .309. Hopefully that will give me a starting point to find a load this rifle likes.

gwpercle
04-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Congratulations on your successful NOE session.
I also had been a Lyman and Lee caster , too cheap to spend a lot of money on a mould.
Until last Christmas , then the wife got me an NOE 4 cavity for 9 mm Luger as a present ... casting with it was a revelation ! SWEET ! Casting with it was a joy , it made me smile.
I had to order my favorite 38 special /357 magnum mould when I spotted it " in stock" . I actually could not stop myself !
Bottom line...if you can't cast good boolits with an NOE mould , you need to find another hobby...go play golf.
Gary

shredder
04-30-2016, 07:10 PM
Yup. That sounds just like what I posted after I got my first mould from NOE. They sure are a cut above what I had been using too.

rhill
04-30-2016, 07:15 PM
I already have 9mm, .357 and .45auto, 45Colt moulds picked out, just need to decide which first and save up some more money. I guess I am old fashioned, I hate to charge things unless I can pay off the bill when it comes in. Which mold in 9mm and 357 do you have, and do you like them or would you get a different design if you could do it over?

Screwbolts
05-01-2016, 08:22 AM
My only suggestion with a NOE mold is get the 5 cavity version, the pile of boolitz builds even faster.

Ken

TXGunNut
05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Yes, there really is a difference. I like my Lyman and Lee moulds but have noticed a few are getting replaced by NOE moulds. May need to list a few on S&S to make room for more NOE moulds.

dragon813gt
05-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I ditched all my Lee molds during the post Sandy Hook panic. Made a tidy profit and got rid of all the problems. A mold from any of the custom makers is money well spent. I never had a Lee mold work out of the box and they always gave me trouble. That's why I sold them off.

I waited a long time to buy a NOE mold. I think I have more of Swede's molds that any of the others. If Miha would make his quicker he might be in the lead ;)

gwpercle
05-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I already have 9mm, .357 and .45auto, 45Colt moulds picked out, just need to decide which first and save up some more money. I guess I am old fashioned, I hate to charge things unless I can pay off the bill when it comes in. Which mold in 9mm and 357 do you have, and do you like them or would you get a different design if you could do it over?

In 9 mm I have the NOE 358 - 124 - TC - GC 4 cavity aluminum.
The 38/357 is NOE 360 - 160 - WC (360432) 3 cavity aliminum.
I had tested these designs in 2 cavity Lee and Lyman (360432 Lyman discontinued now) and knew I liked them, especially the 38 design, These boolits in a NOE mould are more than liked...I love them and would NOT get a different design ! I'm a dipper - pressure caster, the 4 cavity is a tad heavy, the 3 cavity is just right and I can cast surprisingly more with it. The 4 cavity casts a bunch but it's at my hand /arm strength limit.
Gary