PDA

View Full Version : Bowen sight's

LUCKYDAWG13
04-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Talk about a fast turn around I ordered a set of sights from them on April 25th I got them today April 29th :guntootsmiley: 167279167280

Nowherefound
04-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Mind if I ask if that is the Rough Country or the New Model Field? Ive had a "New Model Field" sight for my SBH on order since October.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
WOW on order for 6 months :groner: I got the Rough Country I put the same set on my 7 1/2 SBH right around the first of the year
liked them so much that my 4 5/8 41 magnum B/H had to have them too when you get your set you will love them

Mal Paso
04-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Those Rough Country Sights are Great!

I ordered a firing pin from them last week, shipping was faster than I expected and reasonable.

I was considering subscribing to their newsletter. Handloader got bumped in the last Credit Card change. This might be more interesting. http://www.classicarmsjournal.com

LUCKYDAWG13
04-29-2016, 09:13 PM
that reminds me my subscription to Hanloader is up too and yes Those Rough Country Sights are Great!

RedHawk357Mag
04-30-2016, 01:18 AM
That wasn't my experience with them. Ordered a set for a GP100 and a set for a RedHawk at the two month mark I canceled my order. On a positive note my card wasn't ever charged which I do admire. Unfortunately I still haven't found a quality aftermarket sight which is a bummer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LUCKYDAWG13
04-30-2016, 07:41 AM
The first one that i ordered took about 6 weeks to get so i new going in that there might be a long wait but i think it was worth it 167301167302

ole 5 hole group
04-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Bowen's rough country style sights are great but I prefer his target style sights myself - I do have both styles.

The price difference isn't all that much (they are way over-priced to begin with) between the two and sight adjustment is much easier and a bit more precise as well with the target style sights.

Nowherefound
04-30-2016, 04:12 PM
I was just about to ask how adjustments went on the rough county and maybe try and switch my order... Just confirmed that I should stick with the target style. I've been thinking about cancelling my order but seeing that sight picture... (shrug) I really want 'em.

Mal Paso
04-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I blew $19.95 of the cash mouldering in my Pay Pal account on the Bowen Journal. http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/ Fantastic article on handgun sights this quarter with great photography but you can't download or print anything for future reference. This may be a deal breaker for me.

A lot of the material I knew. He did have a trick with the front sight that might be worth $19.95.

Don Purcell
05-01-2016, 09:42 AM
Mal Paso, I signed up for the Journal last night so if I don't like it then it's YOUR fault. Actually I think it looks pretty good and since Hamilton Bowen is behind it, it probably will be. Got several chuckles on Hamilton's article on the .577 revolvers. I like his style of writing, humorous and informative. Seyfried's article on the .577 rifles was very good as usual. The first article that Ross ever submitted was to The American Rifleman and it was about using paper patch and cast bullets it his Rigby .577.

Mal Paso
05-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Mal Paso, I signed up for the Journal last night so if I don't like it then it's YOUR fault. Actually I think it looks pretty good and since Hamilton Bowen is behind it, it probably will be. Got several chuckles on Hamilton's article on the .577 revolvers. I like his style of writing, humorous and informative. Seyfried's article on the .577 rifles was very good as usual. The first article that Ross ever submitted was to The American Rifleman and it was about using paper patch and cast bullets it his Rigby .577.

Do I know you? My friends all say it's my fault. The photography is very good as well. What Hamilton said about Revolver Sights was what I had thought but with depth. Every one of my revolvers came with a Red Ramp Sight and in each case the front sight was the first thing to go. I recut a Hi Viz steel Patridge to fit the Anaconda. The 629 has a Cylinder & Slide Improved Ramp (almost vertical) front sight and the Bowen Rough Country in back. My regular load is six clicks up from locked down at 25 yards.

Should we share the Journal or leave it as a nugget down in Wheelguns....? :smile:

Don Purcell
05-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Just keep it between us old codgers, let the younguns' work for it like we had to. Know what you mean about the red ramp front sight (Haven't read Hamilton's article yet). Years ago there was an article in American Handgunner about replacing the red with the color blue. A friend of mine has painted some of his front sights blue and it works well. I would give my eye teeth for Seyfried's Single shot .461 Gibbs.

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2016, 07:49 AM
I agree totally.
Bowen's rough country style sights are great but I prefer his target style sights myself - I do have both styles.

The price difference isn't all that much (they are way over-priced to begin with) between the two and sight adjustment is much easier and a bit more precise as well with the target style sights.

C. Latch
05-05-2016, 08:20 AM
I have the rough country sight on my .45 and have had -0- problems with the adjustments. Easy-peasy.

Brownells stocks Bowen sights and if you order from there you'll have them in a week.

ole 5 hole group
05-05-2016, 12:00 PM
As far as Brownell's having Bowen sights - that was true a couple years ago, not today. Bowen is the only place I know of that is selling the sights??? The rough country adjustments aren't problematic, as long as you have a 1/16" allen wrench handy if you want elevation adjustments but the target style is much faster and better for precision in a lot of instances.

Nothing wrong with the rough country and you can get everything dialed in for a certain load, dead-on but it usually takes a bit more time to do so. When going from a 240 grain to a 300 grain bullet, I find the target style more to my liking.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-05-2016, 12:59 PM
If the target style had the white outline I would have gotten that it is easy for me to see with
The outline

ole 5 hole group
05-06-2016, 10:54 AM
I find a narrower front sight working better for me. I'm using 0.100 thickness currently and find I probably should go to 0.085 but anymore nowadays, I find hitting a 3" target at 25 yards off-hand not too difficult and missing a 4" target at 50 yards consistently is just the way it is today.

W.R.Buchanan
05-07-2016, 01:32 PM
I love them too. Got them from Brownell's. With a Weigand Front Blade with a white line the sight picture is excellent.

I think this is probably the best sight picture there is.

Randy