PDA

View Full Version : Colt or Ruger S/A ?

Sam Casey
04-28-2016, 08:39 PM
Working myself up to a classic S/A 22LR. Trying to decide between Older Ruger 3 screw or an older Colt New Frontier. Want an adjustable sight gun w/o all extra safety stuff. The Colts are a bit more expensive and case colors look great, but have had good experience with my older 357 & 41 mag Rugers. Appreciate any suggestions based on experience.

country gent
04-28-2016, 09:30 PM
The Colt new frontiers are becoming a little hard to find ad a good one can be a little pricey especially if it has the factory box both cylinders and the little round screw driver they came with. A realitive has one with fixed sights but it is a shooter and handy. ( we used it for many years butchers pigs and steers). The ruger single sixs are also accurate and reliable easier to find and a better price for a shooter. Another not to be forgoten is the little ruger bearcat. Sized more to the 22 long rifle and just a nice little revolver.

scattershot
04-29-2016, 10:18 AM
Get the Ruger. The Colt is more of a collectors item now, amd the Ruger has more robust
lockwork. Nothing wrong with the Colt, of course, but if you're looking for a shooter you won't be disappointed with the Ruger.

cliff55
04-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Had both. Both good.
Liked the colt Better

Mk42gunner
04-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Had both. Both good.
Liked the colt Better
Same here.

Wish I still had the Colt. The Ruger was an affordable replacement for the Colt and it is okay, but the Colt I had was more accurate than the Single Six.

Robert

contender1
05-01-2016, 09:21 PM
I'd opt for the Ruger as well. Now, many of us who enjoy the Rugers know that the barrel bore diameter was changed SLIGHTLY about serial number 150,000 to accommodate the "new" 22 mag ammo & the convertibles. Many of the pre 150,000 guns are a wee bit more accurate than the later ones due to this. But even after the 150,000 mark,, they are an excellent buy, and you can't wear one out.

GunGuy2756
05-02-2016, 05:21 AM
I would buy the Colt because.....well, it's a Colt.

Clay M
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM
It reminds me of a conversation I had with a gun store owner once about the SAA and the Ruger Blackhawk.
He said," It is like driving a Honda or a Cadillac to Las Vegas. Both will get you there , but the Cadillac will get you there in style."

By the way, I drive a Honda Fit.

Lead Fred
05-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Have not fired a Colt in years, The 3 screw does what I want it to do.
Smooth as silk

Clay M
05-04-2016, 10:29 AM
I have the three screw Ruger Single Six that I got new in the earily 70's. It was my first handgun.
It is not for sale or trade on a Colt.

bob208
05-04-2016, 02:05 PM
my first hand gun is a colt frontier scout. still have it with both cylinders the screwdriver and the box it came in. I learned to shoot single actions with it. I also have ruger single sixes and super single sixes. for shooting I like the rugers.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-04-2016, 02:08 PM
I own both and, in fact I own two stainless Ruger 22s and a Colt new frontier 22. The Colt will outshoot both Rugers. That Colt 22 is one neat little handgun. If I have time later today I may post pictures of the trio. Well, here they are. I included my Diamond back and my S&W 22 Masterpiece & my 38 DETECTIVE SPL. I made the two holsters on the right.

oldred
05-04-2016, 06:15 PM
I bought my New Frontier new in 1976 and wouldn't part with it for love nor money! A couple of the Rugers have come and gone, including a Bearcat a few years ago, but there's just something about the Colt that none of them had. Don't misunderstand I'm not knocking the Rugers but that little Colt is deadly accurate and has the smoothest slickest action I have ever owned, pulling back that hammer and listening to that smooth clicking is just plain music!

Slickest for a single action anyway because my custom tuned Colt Python is the slickest action I have ever felt. If you can find one of the New Frontier Colts at a decent price you will never regret it, absolutely fantastic shooter and not everyone has one!

ShooterAZ
05-05-2016, 06:20 PM
I have both also. My 3 screw Super Single Six was made in 1964. The Ruger is BY FAR the better made six-gun in my opinion. It's also the more accurate of the two as well. The Colt may be more collectible, but if I were to sell one of them, the Colt would go first. I would never sell the Single Six.

smkummer
05-07-2016, 11:59 AM
Just picked up a 5 1/2" Ruger single six made in 1957 3 screw with black stocks. This gun was a memory of when I was a kid and my dad had one. As much as we liked it, we always remembered it "stung" our ears (never used earing protection then). So I compared it to my 6" Colt NF. The Ruger has of course 3 clicks but is heavier to cock. And the gun is heavier as well. So I would go with the Colt but again, pricing may be prohibited on the colt. And the 1982-86 Colt new frontiers are fine as the simple cross bolt safety is no big deal. And one without the magnum cylinder is no big deal to myself as well. I would not pay as much for the very last of the late models when they just blued the frame though. Just picked up this sweet Colt frontier scout "62" (the 62 series has the heavier zink alloy frame over the aluminum of the other scouts). Both the Ruger and Colt were bought for a bargain of $325 ea..