PDA

View Full Version : .22 Mag. Henry

blixen
04-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the .22 Magnum Henry lever action with the octagon barrel? I'm curious about the Henry's accuracy in that cartridge. I've owned a couple Henrys and they've been tack drivers in .22LR and .17hmr.

I've also owned various .22 WMR bolt actions by Savage, Marlin and even a couple Mossberg Chucksters-- and they've were mediocre accuracywise. At best, 1 inch groups at 50 yards. (If I'm expecting too much out of .22WMR, please tell me.)

I wondered how the Henry .22 mag compares. Thought it would be a good jack rabbit rifle and .22WMR is easier to come by around here than .22LR.

snowwolfe
04-30-2016, 10:36 AM
I own one. Only made a few trips to the range with it over the last couple of years. Works fine, feeds and ejects with no issues. It is like most levers, don't try to work the lever like a wussie. Mine wears a 3x9 Weaver AO rimfire scope. I only tried one type of ammo in it and had no issues getting 5 shots under an inch at 50 yards. I suspect if I experimented more with it could find an ammo that could do better.
Also, the thin forearm makes it more difficult to rest properly which might be an issue to discovering its true accuracy potential. Non issue when shooting offhand.
Good rifle at a good price.

blixen
04-30-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks! Very helpful.