PDA

View Full Version : Lynotype Mixture

Jim Thompson
05-11-2008, 11:54 AM
I bought a lot of lynotype (900) lbs years ago and paid about .50 a pound for it. I also have wheel weight metal that I got for free. I've mixed it about 1/3 lynotype to 2/3 WW metal and have shot it in 9MM for years. I also shot straight lynotype in my .44 Mag. Do you think I'm using too much lynotype in 9MM or not enough? Is there a better recipe out there?
Thanks

leftiye
05-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes. Way too much.

One of the standard recipes here is 50/50 WW/pure. It's about (if you have 4% antimony wheelweights) BHN11 or 12 air cooled. It heat treats to BHN22, plenty hard even for rifle up to about 2000fps (with a good lube). Expands well, too.

I use it in everything (I don't load HV rifle, can't figger out why I'd want to do that). I do load 9mms at about 1000 fps. I like to heat treat them for the 9mm, though I don't think it is really necessary (relatively high pressure, and pretty fast powders). I'm working on using some slower powders for in the future. Also going to try wax dipping the noses ("bullet tips", but not like evil bay) in maybe carnauba, or Lee mule snot. To help cycling, and engraving.

There are 2% antimony wheelweights out there. Test your hardness of your wheelweights to get an idea what you have. 2%antimony wheelweights will be about 10 or 11 BHN already. Use them straight.

With linotype to harden that's 3 parts pure to 1 part lino for about the same alloy.

HeavyMetal
05-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I think your mix for the alloy your using in the 9mm is about the same as I use for just about everything. Of course this depends largely on what type ( alloy) your WW really are.

I do use a much harder alloy for my 30-30 contender and 7.62 X 39 boolits.

As far as striaght lino in the 44 mag? Unless your really pushing the envelope, like in a contender or a rifle, I don't see why the same alloy your using for the 9mm won't get it done for you.

All the type metal's are getting harder to find, so anything you can do to stretch your supply will save you money in the long run.

I'd try a few different blends and suggest you read the section in Lee's reloading book on cast bullet alloy's and the correct pressure's they will operate at. That whole section can be an eye opener.

runfiverun
05-11-2008, 01:12 PM
i shoot straight ww with 1% tin in both of these at power, and have no problems
and 2 parts ww to 1 lino,not depleted, up to 2300 with g/c in rifles.

jhalcott
05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Jim what are you shooting at ? Steel targets ,paper or live game? I use straight WW for most of MY hunting, Linotype for strictly high speed target work. Mystery metal (?) is used for plinking. One thing about Linotype is it gets a bit softer as the tin is burned out from reuseing it. It SHOULD be 22BHN but I've seen it as low as 18 BHN. Still hard enough for target bullets though!

Jim Thompson
05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
It's all for target shooting at the outdoor range.

LarryM
05-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey Jim, any interest in parting with some of that Lino? I get to Tulsa a couple of times a month and would pay a fair price for some.

Larry

FISH4BUGS
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
.......5 lbs ww to 1 lb linotype. I was told somewhere in the distant past that this gives the equivilant to Lyman #2 alloy. Works for me in all my loads, including sub machinegun loads in 9mm, 380 and 45, full house 357 and 44 (gc) loads and low speed 38's et al.

Lloyd Smale
05-14-2008, 05:34 AM
my favorite alloy is 5050ww/lino but lineotype has got so hard to find that the only place i use 5050 anymore is the big guns like the linebaughs and in rilfe loads. Even some of my rifle loads have been replaced by #2. Mostly what i use linotype for now is making batches of #2. It does well for most casting but weve done enough penetration testing to know that 5050 is hard to beat. Its more is more maluable (spelling) the straight linoype which is a slight disadvabtage in pentration but carrys slightly more weight that about makes up for the slightly softer bullet. Ive punched 5050 bullets through 4 buffalo now and a couple black bears and deer and it never let me down. Main problem is im down to about a 1000 lbs of it and i have to be very conservative with using it as most of my sources have dried up. Ive blasted a couple tons of it into dirt and wish i had it back. Anymore my blasting bullets are made from ww with about 3-5 percent tin added.

VTDW
05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
I have begun scaling back my mix from 50/50 WW/Lino. I am down to 20% Lino - 80% WW and when water quenched and aged for a week give me 28 Bnh using a Cabin Tree tester. I shoot my loads pretty stiff in my .444s as they have MG barrels. No leading yet.

I have way more WW than Lino on hand.

Dave