PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry Advice

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 03:57 PM
I have a booth reserved in our little towns community days coming up in middle of May to help spread the word a little more that I do custom leather work. I am focusing on belts, holsters, and mag pouches, and so would like to open carry my SAA while attending the booth to help display my work (holster and belt). I am 26, have never carried in a public place, and so am looking for advice from you experienced ones.
Yes open carry is legal in Washington state inside and outside of city limits.
Thank you for your input.
Todd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragon813gt
04-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Make sure it's holstered securely and don't look nervous. If you are nervous you are going to make others nervous. It's not a big deal to open carry. Be prepared to answer questions about it. Most people don't know anything about the legality of it. So know the laws and be prepared to educate others.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Load 5 not 6 and be aware of your surroundings. Normally I would say open carry is a bad idea for anyone other than a LEO, but in this case you are likely to get some good business. By any chance do you have a link to some of your work? I wouldn't mind a fancy open carry rig myself for special occasions.

toallmy
04-28-2016, 04:27 PM
What he said . Show us some if your work .

Mica_Hiebert
04-28-2016, 04:31 PM
Just remember if you don't have a ccp in WA you can't have a loaded gun in your vehicle so it will have to be unloaded while driving to the show unless you have a ccp in which case disregard.

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Thank you guys for your comments so far! As to pics, here's a few. I don't have a website as yet. This post was not to gender business but thanks for the inquiries. Keep the advice coming! I agree wholeheartedly about not being nervous, and while its new to me, I feel good about it.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/c5f735101b1c545f02c66ff5b2a7cca8.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/c008291e2fe50e03cb15f8ab12877610.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/3af0e7df76469e47490f594a7d0a3edd.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/dc6047d1bb6e39166077d2d53ce21ddc.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/c4230eb538d577a6ea1cea8a4b53451f.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/b41b17ffb916555b2cfcd030c3ed66d1.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/e537ddcd5c8ee54fa32066cd2376b0e6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/f57c3a6f4b084f5fd4305f46e97ff1c4.jpg

kenyerian
04-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Very nice !!

big bore 99
04-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Fine workmanship on all.

jcren
04-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Beautiful work. You should look into a vendor status here.

jonp
04-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Nice work. I sure could use that last holster for mine

M-Tecs
04-28-2016, 06:20 PM
If you are going to be in crowded area's where you can't see who is behind and besides you I would not carry the SA loaded. I would carry a concealed loaded firearm. For open carry in a crowd I want a retention holster. Keep the hammer strap on.

Nice leather work.

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Load 5 not 6 and be aware of your surroundings. Normally I would say open carry is a bad idea for anyone other than a LEO, but in this case you are likely to get some good business. By any chance do you have a link to some of your work? I wouldn't mind a fancy open carry rig myself for special occasions.

If you are going to be in crowded area's where you can't see who is behind and besides you I would not carry the SA loaded. I would carry a concealed loaded firearm. For open carry in a crowd I want a retention holster. Keep the hammer strap on.

Nice leather work.

Last one for a F.A. 22lr? The old belt buckle one?. It needs that big handle. Hadn't seen one of those since the 80s until a guy at the range shot one, this year. Decent accuracy @ 5. Be sure to leave it parked on an empty spot.
Yes, for demo purposed, unloaded.
If I were to carry in Texas I'd go the shoulder holster route. Most here use the belt/flap waistband holsters. You can remove it easily.

I've been wondering whether to carry it loaded.. I don't have another handgun to carry concealed and I don't plan to let anyone handle my pistol. So for those reasons I'm leaning towards 5 loaded hammer on number 6.
I like the idea of a belt flap holster so it is easily removable but I don't have one and we'll see if I find the time to make one.
I will leave the gun holstered and hammer loop on at all times.
Yes I believe that last pic is for a Freedom Arms .22 revolver. That was a fun gun to shoot! Friend of mine who runs the auto supply house here owns it.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160429/53e4000af9c985aa86068d4bbaac8b84.jpg

crowbuster
04-28-2016, 09:26 PM
You may want to wear your holster or belt as well around the shop to get a feel for it before going to the show.

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 09:31 PM
You may want to wear your holster or belt as well around the shop to get a feel for it before going to the show.

I have been wearing it some when working around home, been getting used to it a little more.

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 09:32 PM
The original had a snubby 22 s, longer 22lr & 22mag. One finger handle. Can you just 'carry' a 45 cap pistol for demo?

I suppose I could..do they even make the steel ones like they used to?

bedbugbilly
04-28-2016, 09:35 PM
First . . . nice work! Those items really look nice!

I know nothing of WA's gun laws so will just bring a couple of things up that may or may not apply.

I'm licensed in AZ and MI. Open carry is very common around whee I am in AZ and most folks think nothing of it. MI also has open carry but I rarely see it. While your state may allow open carry . . . are there any restrictions as to where yu cannot carry at all - either concealed or open carry - in regards to being around alchohol (not saying you have a alcohol problem :-) ) best in regards to being in an area where it is served? I'm thinking a food concession that sells liquor or a beer tent at the event? Or in an area where a certain number of people congregate (again, don't know how large the event is or how many people in what size area. Is the event being held near a church or school and is there a law which restricts a person from carrying on those properties or within a certain footage away? Might be foolish question but then again, LE may interpret the law in their own way.

If you are going to open carry to display what you make, and personally I don't see a problem with it . . . is it really necessary to carry your handgun loaded? Those that are interested in your work as well as some who are not that familiar with guns/leather are going to be curious about not only your leather . . but your SAA as well. And you are bound to get some who would like to look at and handle your SAA and I know that you would not want to hand them a loaded gun.

If you have any questions about the legality (as far as the circumstances of the event) or advisability of it, check with the LE who covers the event or jurisdiction and explain what you do and that you'd like to open carry as a way if showcasing your work.

I have had many booths showcasing my work/products ad just such events and no matter how well you think you are watching things . . . even if your wife is helping and keeping an eye on things, you can be busy talking with a person and before you know it, you are missing something from your table that someone with light fingers feels they need more than you. Even if the handgun is holstered and on your hip, I'd have it secured to your holster as there is always some jerks out there who may think he's being smart by trying to pull it from your holster while your attention is elsewhere. You may pan on being behind your table but somewhere along the line, you'll be leaving your booth and be out in the open.

While you maybe "can" open carry legally, you also must think of your own liability and try to prevent anything that could put you, your family and your assets at risk. Just for those reasons alone, I personally would not open carry a loaded hand gun at such an event. If you felt the need to have cartridges to show how a SAA is loaded or to show those who don't know anything about firearms how a SAA works - then load up some "dummy cartridges" - either with spent primers or no primers and use those. At the Old Tucson Movie Studio out here in Tucson, they sometimes have various events for such things as fast draw, etc. but their requirement for someone to walk around in cowboy dress and leather is that all cartridges in the belt must be dummy - either with no primers or spent primers.

Good luck with the event and I'm sure you'll get some good exposure and quite a few orders!

country gent
04-28-2016, 09:40 PM
Another thing with confidence is not "checking" on the pistol every 10 mins, reaching down to see if its still there. A lot of new ccw holders make this mistake while getting used to carrying. Put it on adjust it up comfortable and forget about it. Reaching down to adjust or check it just draws attention to it and to you.

1989toddm
04-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Bedbugbilly, thanks for the thoughts! It is in a park, not a park for children, just a grassy stretch that is fenced in for use for functions like this. Not close to churches or schools. I didn't ask a LEO today in town about open carry in city limits and he said statewide I am fine until I conceal it. Now like Mica_Hiebert said, it is illegal to haul it in the car loaded without a CPL. I don't believe there will be alcohol there but not positive.
Good point about enthusiasts being interested in the gun as well. I will think about that. I would never ask to handle a gun that someone is carrying unless they offered it to me. I don't think it is respectful of others property. Now I may offer it to someone to hold if it is empty and I believe they are competent.
Good thoughts!

BigMagShooter
04-28-2016, 10:05 PM
find out first if you are ALLOWED to open carry at a "fair" or "gathering" or what the local ordinances really say.

personally I would not carry any fire arms, just wear your leather.

when you are dealing with the public you want to be able to focus on your leather work not the firearm.

if you are not used to carrying a firearm, you will be focused on your firearm, where is it, what's going on etc... you need to be focused on selling your wares.

if you do take firearms I personally would leave the ammo home, why? you'll be taking that gun out a lot to show off your leather, worst thing to do is handle a loaded firearm in a public place when you don't have to.

good looking leather in the pics you posted.

runfiverun
04-28-2016, 11:30 PM
lot's of good advice.

definitely wear it like it belongs there and don't be checking it all the time.
you know it's there, act like it is normal.
if someone wants to see it take it off and roll it up and show it to them, then put it back on like it's a hat.
you can fiddle with it after they are gone.

a simple thonged loop over the hammer is enough retention, if you want a strap then use a snap and make sure it fits and matches the tooling of the belt or holster.
add a piece of liner behind the snap inside the holster and stitch it to look like the webbing or whatever stamping you use.
remember it's the details that sell.

RP
04-29-2016, 12:06 AM
A lot of people when using a carrying a pistol on their side tend to rest their hand on the butt. Just watch a policeman it just seems to be natural for your hand to end up resting on the pistol. Yes I know a lot of police do this for other reasons which I have no problem with.

kentuckyshooter
04-29-2016, 03:51 AM
I have been known to open carry on ocasion. My advice would be know the laws inside and out. You would be surprised how many ''gun people'' are compleatly ignorant about the laws of where they live. If you dont have a concealed carry permit tuck your shirt. The last thing you want is for it to accidently become concealed. As mentioned be confident in what your doing. And if your gona open carry open carry. If your takeing it as a prop take it as a prop. Pulling a loaded gun in public even for show and tell can land you in hot water. Its called brandishing. Not trying to sound like a jerk here just trying to keep you out of trouble with the fuzz.

Wayne Smith
04-29-2016, 08:03 AM
Ditto. If you are carrying it is loaded in your mind anyway. It is not removed from the holster except when NEEDED! If someone wants lessons in how to handle a revolver arrange to do that separately and at a different location. Never combine two things - you are there for one purpose only and it is your complete focus. If they want to see your work it is there on the table.

osteodoc08
04-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Using an airsoft replica for the open carry holster might not be a bad idea while still carrying concealed. Then you could demo the holster without causing alarm.

shaper
04-29-2016, 08:27 AM
Where is Zillah? I have a grand son in Eatonville. He is required to carry for his job and is looking for that perfect holster.

1989toddm
04-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Where is Zillah? I have a grand son in Eatonville. He is required to carry for his job and is looking for that perfect holster.

Google says he is 3 hrs from me. Zillah is southeast of Yakima 15-20 minutes, south central part of the state.

flyingrhino
04-29-2016, 09:20 AM
I love your leather work. Do you have a web site? As another suggested, you should check into vendor status.

SteveS
04-29-2016, 09:48 AM
I like the idea of open carry and think you should go right ahead and do it if, one of your goals is to educate people on open carry. You will probably get some questions and you should be ready to talk knowledgeably about it.

It might be just me but I would never hand my gun, loaded or unloaded, to a stranger. If asked, just say 'I really can't. You understand.' and move on.

Have a holster just like the one you are carrying on the table so you don't have to take yours off.

You might want to get in touch with Dave Atkinson "The Yankee Marshal" on YouTube. He lives in Washington and open carries on the second of every month as an educational exercise. He will probably have some good tips for you.

1989toddm
04-29-2016, 11:01 PM
I love your leather work. Do you have a web site? As another suggested, you should check into vendor status.

I do not have a website. Am on Instagram and Facebook, but plan to get a website up in the future.