PDA

View Full Version : Which do like to do more?

BBQJOE
04-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Besides shooting, of course.

BBQJOE
04-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Myself, I think I enjoy pouring more.

country gent
04-28-2016, 03:33 PM
I enjoy both casting and reloading. Looking for the best bullet and best load can be a real challenge at tmes.

Chris C
04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Before I can vote, you need a third option: Both!

floydboy
04-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Right now I like reloading more because I can find the time to do it. I can reload in the comfort of the wifes and mine craft/reloading room. We usually go in there in the evenings. She paints or what ever and I fiddle with my brass. It is relaxing and I enjoy playing with my toys. I like casting but never seem to have the time to truly sit down and do it for enjoyments sake. I do it because I need boolits and have set the time aside to do just that. Looking forward to retirement soon and have always thought casting will be a lot more fun when I have the time to get really organized and do some experimenting with different alloys. Right now I find I try and copy what you guys say works and make as many boolits as I can with what time I have. Casting tends to be a chore for me right now. Hopefully that will change.

Floyd

DerekP Houston
04-28-2016, 07:09 PM
Sigh, until my Lee started dripping crazily I would've said pour. Casting has been a PITA, constantly fiddling and twisting the valve stem to stop leaks. Even emptied it out completely and cleaned it with no change. Once I save my pennies for the RCBS pro melt I'm sure I'll be happier than a pig in mud.

Mal Paso
04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
Yep, I think I like pouring more as I have 4 or 6 thousand boolits with no powder under them.:bigsmyl2:

How are you doing Joe?

Scharfschuetze
04-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Both are a means to an end for me. I guess I'd rather reload than pour, but when the alloy and temperature is right, I do enjoy cranking out the projectiles.

Ural Driver
04-28-2016, 11:33 PM
Since I have yet to begin either process, I will vote for.............girls. :redneck:

runfiverun
04-28-2016, 11:54 PM
I just finished a run of 9400 rounds of 9mm which means I had to cast that many.
I mark one eyeballed the pile at 10-k I guess it's a little off.

but casting to me is boring, sometimes I can run on and on for 4-5 or more hours.
other times and a half hour with one mold is enough to drive me nuts.
open/close/pour/count/open/close/pour/count....yawn, yawn.

reloading.
I walk in and run off 1-200 rounds [20 or so minutes] and go do something else, stop in for 5-10 minutes and knock out another 20-30 rounds and wander out again.

it's the thinking about the load development, measuring the gun[s], and designing the molds I get interested in.
sometimes just sitting there staring into space and lost in thought for an hour or more while I work out the gliding angles and load timing details in my head.
then putting them down on paper and getting to try them at the range, and improving on them a little bit at a time.
that is enjoyable to me.

Mytmousemalibu
04-29-2016, 12:45 AM
I really like all of it but sitting at the press is easier on me and when i'm doing load development or case forming, etc, that kind of stuff scratches the nerd itch!

Lot of other related things that I enjoy though like gunsmithing/restoration, cleaning guns, holster making, etc.

Artful
04-29-2016, 03:56 AM
I like to see the nice shiny boolits all piled up but I love to see the nice shiny ammo ready to shoot!

kentuckyshooter
04-29-2016, 04:38 AM
My vote goes to casting. While i enjoy both reloading on a single stage can get a bit teadious at times. On the outher hand melting stuff is always fun lol.

JSnover
04-29-2016, 04:47 AM
Plenty of time to reload these days but it gets tedious sometimes (I'm filling ammo cans). Casting will have to wait.

cephas53
04-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Besides shooting, of course.
Come to think of myself as a strange bird. Enjoy tinkering, loading and casting as much if not more than actual shooting.

Shiloh
04-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Incomplete question.
Shooting the product of your pouring and reloading should be an option.

Shiloh

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I really prefer pouring...I'm in the middle of loading a bunch of 41 mag, and am looking forward to running out of brass, so I can get to pouring some other calibers...Oh, almost forgot, I have a bunch of lube-sizing scheduled next.

mdi
04-29-2016, 12:32 PM
I have waaaay more time for casting and reloading than I do for shooting. It's a toss up between casting and reloading as they go hand in hand; can't reload without casting, and if casting alone I'll just have hundreds of bullets laying around...:-(

RogerDat
04-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Since I have yet to begin either process, I will vote for.............girls. :redneck: Raises a good point, but I have one of those and frankly I'm always having to try something new to get that piece of equipment to function in a consistent manner. Really great when things hum along but trouble shooting problems can be difficult if not impossible.

I think I like.... reloading more because of the finished product going on the shelves. Sort of like putting up vegetables at canning time there is a sense of having something ready for later enjoyment from the work. On the other hand casting is very meditative. Does not require intense focus the way reloading does. Have to pay attention but that boring steady paced repetition is sort of zen like. Very relaxing. And pile of shiny bullets to weigh and stash in the ammo cans feels good, sort of like planting seeds, I get to look forward to the eventual crop of bullets they will become.

1989toddm
04-29-2016, 04:31 PM
I must say pouring..when a mold is running smoothly and boolits are good looking, it seems a shame to stop!! Until of course, my hand is too sore from holding that mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimb16
04-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Yep, I think I like pouring more as I have 4 or 6 thousand boolits with no powder under them.:bigsmyl2:

How are you doing Joe?

Is that all??!!! I have so many that I can't even begin to count. I'd need a truck scale just to weigh them!

Bigslug
04-30-2016, 12:33 PM
Odd thing. . .I really seem to enjoy smelting - at least since the bottom-pour Satan's Little Smelter came home and eliminated the backache caused by ladle-pouring ingots. Something kinda neat about turning mangled, dirty range scrap and wheelweights into shiny blocks of bullets-to-be.

robg
04-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Its the magic of turning out little jewels from scrap before your eyes.

tygar
04-30-2016, 10:18 PM
Since I'm a one hole accuracy nut, I really like to experiment with loads to find the "perfect" one. Don't mind casting. I have many peanut butter jars & cashew cans full of bullets for every mold I have & I'm pushing 75 or so.

05-02-2016, 08:20 AM
I enjoy both casting and reloading. Looking for the best bullet and best load can be a real challenge at times.

^^^^ That's me also. ^^^^ though I like creating the alloy from second hand materials and casting the most.

Rattlesnake Charlie
05-05-2016, 11:54 AM
In order, 1) casting, 2) handloading, and 3) shooting.

I can get lost in thoughts when casting whereas I must remain more attentive to the immediate task when handloading. I have spent 6 hours casting in a single session, stopping only for restroom breaks and refreshments. I must include the size/lube task here too as I can spend several hours at a time with my mind being elsewhere. The "elsewhere" is usually on developing different loads and guns.

Shooting came third only because of the task of hauling equipment to the range, and dealing with weather and distractions (range nazis, ninjas, master blasters, idiots, etc.) at the range. When you haul targets, chronograph, guns, spotting scopes, sometimes even target frames or backing, and maybe even sandbags, it can get tiresome.

drifterdon
05-05-2016, 10:51 PM
+1 Just what I was thinking

TXGunNut
05-05-2016, 11:08 PM
I voted pouring but quite honestly I have to be in the right frame of mind to fire up a pot and start messing with molten metal. Stuff still scares me and if I don't feel like doing it I won't. OTOH when my mind is right and the mould and pour temps are right and the stars are lined up just right it's a wonderful thing. Loading can be like that too but only when the job is done and you have a pile of ammo to find boxes for. The task that remains a chore for me is sizing. Running dry boolits and GC's thru a Lee sizer produces shiny boolits but most other lube/size operations are simply a means to an end......I know, get a Star. Only problem is I'd need several as I size several different sizes of boolits.
Shooting? Yeah, If I don't make myself do that now and then I'll have to buy brass. I hate buying brass. ;-)

onehousecat
05-08-2016, 12:01 AM
I prefer reloading, because I've never been burned while reloading.

Tom W.
05-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Unfair. Depending on whatever whim I have and how close it is until bedtime.......

osteodoc08
05-08-2016, 11:38 PM
Casting for me is a zen like state. The heat from the pot, the smell of the bees wax, the repetition and rhythm of it. I just get in a trance. Reloading requires a bit more attention so I can't quite get into this automatic mode. I'm constantly checking and rechecking especially since my powder measure mishap (where the powder measure came loose and no telling how many squibs I loaded). I still haven't finished pulling all those. May just throw the whole danger thing away to not deal with the headache. It may be $35-50 in supplies but dang it I don't want to pull 400 rounds.

retread
05-09-2016, 12:16 AM

^^^^^^^ second that!!

Walter Laich
05-09-2016, 11:47 AM
I like to do both--just depends on my mood when I pick one

45-70 Chevroner
05-09-2016, 01:38 PM
It's all the same to me. Pouring, loading, Shooting, each one takes a a little different train of thought. The only reason for the first two is the last one. I guess if your objective is to store stuff the first two would be best. Like the one guy said (girls) well I have one of those too, same one for the last 54 years
We really like doing a lot of things together but she thinks I have a sickness when it comes to the first three, I probably do.