PDA

View Full Version : Dillon RL 550b

clum553946
04-28-2016, 03:17 PM
I just purchased a new 550 & was wondering if anyone has the problem of spent primers falling into the primer bar & jamming it? Not a big problem to clear, but annoying when you have to stop & fiddle with it.
Thnx, Chris

r1kk1
04-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Nope.

R1kk1

Quickdraw4u
04-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Make sure there is not grease under the primer bar, clean it with gun scrubber, try a little dry graphite powder under the bar (avoid oil). Make sure the spring is on correctly and has tension. Look under the stage, watch carefully as you deprime and see where it is escaping. You might need a little bending of the moveable chute. Primer bar is supposed to retract out of the way before the primer falls. Chute moves up to catch it after the primer bar retracts. Also make sure the correct size primer bar is installed. Sounds obvious but I have done it. Hope this helps.

bgw45
04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
The pivot pin on three chute may need tweeting so the chute does not bind.

With as many autocorrect issues I'm suprised you understood.

Chris C
04-28-2016, 04:51 PM
I've loaded thousands of rounds on the 550 and ever had a problem with the spent primers sticking anywhere. Might check for cleanliness around the point of exit.

jsizemore
04-28-2016, 05:04 PM

I had this happen with mine when new. A bit of tweaking and breaking in with very little trouble since. A little walnut media from the primer would foul things up some too. Tapping the empty case mouth down on the bench before putting it in station 1 helped some too.

fred2892
04-28-2016, 06:05 PM
I've had this happen on both my 550s. It was caused by the jaws of the primer catcher sticking in the open position and allowing the spent primer to fall straight through onto the primer arm track. Simply take the primer catcher apart and nip in the angles to prevent binding. Its only thin sheet steel and you can do it between your finger and thumb.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

LUBEDUDE
04-28-2016, 08:20 PM
If the jam is caused with small primers, check the primer tube inside the blast tube/shield and make sure that it is not for large primers. If so, the small primers may be semi tumbling before dropping into the primer cup on the slide bar.

Gar
04-28-2016, 08:53 PM

^^^^^^^^^ This is one of the major causes.
I pulled out the cotter pin pivot and replaced it with a finishing nail, no problems since.

hp246
04-28-2016, 09:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^ This is one of the major causes.
I pulled out the cotter pin pivot and replaced it with a finishing nail, no problems since.
I had the same problem. I replaced the pivot pin with a paperclip.

clum553946
04-28-2016, 11:02 PM
Thnx all of you for responding. It was the cotter pivot pin that was too tight & held the jaws open. I knew a bunch of you would have helpful insight as the 550 is new & I'm used to my 650! Also, gives me more insight on the machine! Thnx all of you once again!

runfiverun
04-29-2016, 12:58 AM
you probably bent the little cotter pin and the primer catcher isn't opening and closing properly.

it has to be straight, and the edges of the catcher have to be open enough to swing freely.

ph4570
04-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I replaced the cotter pin with a small machine screw. The dead primer catcher is one of the less thought out aspects of these machines but can be made relatively reliable.

Kevin Rohrer
04-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I have that problem occasionally. It has to do w/ the primer chute jaws not opening. I replaced the cotter pin with a bent paperclip and have had less problems.

oldcanadice
04-29-2016, 04:01 PM
This can also be caused by having a long decapping pin adjusted too far out of the sizing die. The primers then pop out sideways above the primer catcher. Don't ask me how I know.

Garyshome
04-29-2016, 04:07 PM
Nope I deprime on a Lee ss press then tumble and reload. Keeps the Dillon clean.

VHoward
04-29-2016, 04:12 PM
Nope I deprime on a Lee ss press then tumble and reload. Keeps the Dillon clean.

This is what I do even though I have an XL650. Decap with a universal decap die, then wet tumble with stainless steel pins, then reload after the cases are dry.