PDA

View Full Version : Unskived 3" 12 gauge hulls for Tri-Ball loads

RMc
04-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Those who load their own 3" 12 gauge TriBall rounds know that unskived hulls give the best results for round or flat edge roll crimps.

Now Grafs has unskived Cheddite 3" hulls in stock...thought you would like to know.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/22500

mac60
04-28-2016, 05:58 PM
I thought the Tri-Ball used a star crimp.

jmort
04-28-2016, 06:47 PM
I just use the Precision wads recommended by Mr. Gates

RMc
04-28-2016, 11:49 PM
I thought the Tri-Ball used a star crimp.

3.5" TriBall loads are Fold Crimped.
3" TriBall loads are Roll Crimped.

mac60
04-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Maybe that's why the 3" Tri-ball didn't work out for me. I experimented with it several years ago with a fold crimp - didn't have a roll crimp tool and didn't figure it would matter one way or the other. Results were dismal - maybe that was a contributing factor.

jmort
04-29-2016, 06:14 PM
3.5" TriBall loads are Fold Crimped.
3" TriBall loads are Roll Crimped.

Ralph Mc knows more about this than anyone other than James.

Let's talk about Dixie Tri-Ball for a moment. As you know, I have put various recipes here on Cast Boolits for reloaders (they buy few factory rounds) and have had trouble in the past by loaders wanting to use components other than those I have listed.
Now.....the first Tri-Ball loads were with Blue Dot and they worked very good. Over time we were able to buy Primex 513 and since it was a all-temp powder, we moved to that.
We have seen very little difference when sub'ing the following:
(1) Hulls...Fiochhi, Cheditte, Federal (as long as they were not tapered hullls)
(2) Very little difference in primers
(3) Most important to use the Precision "orange "wad
(4) Very little (if any) difference if heat treated balls or not....as long as they are as hard as at least 10 to 1 (lead.tin). Only those with antimony can be heat treated. Some of the best balls can be made from melted high antimony shot!
Now....Primex 513 is getting hard to get and we are now testing Primex 516 (Lil'Gun). 28 grains of Blue Dot equals 28 grains of Primex 513 equals 32 grains of Primex 516 (LiL'Gun)....all are the same volume for crimp index with a rolled crimp and pressure.
When our testing is done and I am satisfied with all the results....I will post the revised recipe....don't ask me yet! And don't ask we about other components either.
At present we are working very hard to keep up with nationwide orders on Dixie Tri-Ball!!!!!
Regards, James

OK! Here is the exact recipe for the Tri-Ball in 3 1/2" hulls.....note I sat exact!
(1) Cheddite 12 ga 3 1/2" primed hull.
(2) 32 grains (3.4 cc Lee Dipper) Alliant Steel powder.
(3) The Precision Reloading Orange (TUPRW123) wad.
(4) Most Important!....a 20 ga overshot disk in the inside bottom of the Orange wad. If you do not do this, the wad base will blow!
(5) Three .600" hard cast round balls.
(6) Buffer
(7) Important!....a 1/8" pure cork wad over the buffered balls
(8) Fold Crimp
This load runs about 1175'/" and patterns excellent!
Regards, James