PDA

View Full Version : How to get them to shine?

bichettereds
04-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Hi guys.

I just started casting so forgive the stupid questions. Today I was casting a couple dozen pure lead bullets to use for slugging my barrels and they came out really shiny. The bullets came out really shiny. Is this a result of them being pure lead? The alloy I usually use 95-3-2 (lead, antimony, tin) or a Lyman #2 replicate and they usually come out very dull. It doesnt bother me, Im just curious what causes the difference.

Im wondering if its temp difference, but in both cases I had my Lee Pro set at #7. Ive tried anywhere from about 6.5 to 8 without noticing a difference really.

amc401
04-27-2016, 08:56 PM
I think its because your mould is on the cool side, the more your mould heats up you will notice the shine will go away.

454PB
04-27-2016, 10:08 PM
The antimony causes dullness, and oxidation forms quickly. If you want them to shine, wipe them with a piece of cloth. Of course that is much easier to do once the boolits are in a loaded round.

stubbicatt
04-28-2016, 07:04 PM
The antimony causes dullness, and oxidation forms quickly. If you want them to shine, wipe them with a piece of cloth. Of course that is much easier to do once the boolits are in a loaded round.

...and cooled to room temperature! ;)

OP, I just wipe them down with a Brawny paper towel once loaded up in cartridges. Gets the sizing wax off too at the same time.

Ricochet
04-30-2016, 09:53 AM
They come out much shinier with antimonial alloys if you water drop them from the mould as quickly as the sprue solidifies and is cut. The grainy crystals that make it dull form during slow cooling.

Bent Ramrod
04-30-2016, 12:33 PM
The pure lead boolits you are casting should quickly turn a dull gray sitting out. At least mine do so. Often I get a partial dull gray and partial shiny portion on the pure lead boolits or round balls I cast, right out of the mould. But they all turn gray in short order.

If you want shiny boolits, use lead/tin alloys. They cast at lower temperatures, hence no oxidation, and they don't have a crystalline makeup like the antimony alloys.

Good to see you back, Ricochet! Do you still play that tricone National?