PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Cylinder

Pine Baron
04-27-2016, 04:54 PM
I posted this on 1858remington, so I apologize if any of my friends there are seeing this again here.

Here's the problem:
I lost my outdoor shooting spot to those cursed land developers.
Until I find an outdoor range that doesn't require an arm and a leg to join or isn't closed all the time, my only option is my local indoor range (where everybody knows my name) BP NOT allowed.
Considerations:
Weapon of choice, 8" 1858 Remmy Lyman (Uberti) mfg. mid 70's, shoots .454 RB over 30 gns. Pyrodex, #11 caps.
Limited and I mean LIMITED funds.
Solution:
Howel R&D .45 ACP conversion cylinder
Why?
Less expensive, less intrusive (no cutting or loading gate installation)
.45 ACP, because I have the reloading dies already and a ton of brass
I plan on reloading .454 RB over Unique or Red Dot until I can afford a proper mold, etc.
What do you all think? Be brutal I can take it.

Outpost75
04-27-2016, 05:11 PM
.45 ACP with wadcutter power level, 200 grain bullet and 4 grains of Bullseye or 5 of Uniqueworks fine. Full hardball equivalent 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of Unique, 230-grain bullet, at 18-20kpsi will loosen up the soft steel frame.

Pine Baron
04-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Thanks Outpost,
Round Ball is IIRC 142gns. So I think I would start less than 5 gns. Unique and work from there. My question is .45 ACP is usually .452 dia. boolit. Will .454 give me problems with chamber? keep in mind it's a revolver cylinder, so I'm not concerned about cycling an action or magazine feed problems. Just wondering if anyone has tried this?

bigted
04-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Nearest I did in mine was trail boss in the Schofield cases with a .454 200 grain roundnose boolits. Then I went to a casefull of 2F GOEX behind a .454 round ball just feel enough to crimp over the equator of the ball.

These shot wonderfully and we're accurate as well

country gent
04-28-2016, 01:36 PM
Start light and work up to an accurate easy shooting load. Look in several manuals and get starting loads there. I would look at bullseye 231 red dot unique for powders and loads just nder starting loads. Untill you get the cylinder and can test a round in it you really wont know for sure but .002 on the round ball should work okay. Another step will haelp with this if needed. The 45 acp is a tapered case so either adjust die up or make a spacer to raise it up some and run rounds into it with decapping stem removed. Set correctly you can just squeeze the mouth down to what you need. The extra .002 dia on a round balls dia is a very small amount of actual surface area. Seating the ball just over the half way point and the second sizing should form a size the ball to have a small driving band around the center.

Pine Baron
04-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys,
Good advice. Until I get a proper boolit, I'm going for it.

bigted
04-28-2016, 07:31 PM
Guess I have not heard of the ACP conversion cylinder.

My 45 Colt cylinder does very well with the ( long) Colt cartridge as well. If you have not ordered it yet I would recommend the "long" colt cylinder. It will be more versatile in the long run and a fair mold from Lee will be under 20 bucks. Same for the Lee dies for loading.

My concern for the ACP cylinder is the the
451/.452 diameter and the 1858 should take the .454 inch boolits. Something to check out before yankin the trigger on an order if you haven't done so yet.so

Pine Baron
04-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Yup bigted, that is my concern. I was hoping that someone may have tried it. Countrygent kind of convinced me. I'll wait and see if someone else chimes in and get a consensus.

johnson1942
04-28-2016, 10:05 PM
get the howell coversion cylinder as i have for my ruger old army. you just have to drop your loading lever and pull it forward and the cylinder comes out. i can reload my ruger old army about as fast as some one with a loading gate and a rod to push the empty brass out. i use 18 grains by weight of blackhorn 209 powder 2, 60 thousands fiber wads, and a .454 round ball that is roll crimped over the end. very very accurate. i would never ever use pyrodex or real black as for the cleaning. blackhorn 209 cleans easy and never fouls up the gun so it doesnt shoot. my 45 long colt ruger old army shoot holes in holes.

45 Dragoon
04-30-2016, 11:10 PM
I believe the groove dia is .452. Mine shoots .45C very nicely (don't have an acp cyl for the Remie). My El Patron (Uberti) handles .45acp very well! (Ruger cyl fitted)

Mike

bob208
05-02-2016, 01:04 PM
I have one with the .45colt cylinder because that is what was in it when I bought it. I shoot my colt loads with bullets sized .452. it shoots good with no problems. the .45acp cylinder would work for you. less powder and lead. I read the manufacturer recommendations they said lead only in the acp cylinder with standard velocity loads.