PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations are in Order

Artful
04-26-2016, 06:05 PM
Arizona CBA Military Rifle Match at Ben Avery Range in Phoenix (24 April 2016)

https://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulletin.net/filedata/fetch?id=6230&d=1461696806&type=full

Finn SAKO M39 with an original Weaver T-6 scope (largest power allowed).
The load used was; Norma cases well fire formed and NS'd, WLR Primers, 28.5 gr of milsurp IMR4895, a 3/4 gr Dacron filler and a Lyman (newer production mould) 314299 cast of #2 alloy WQ's sized .314 lubed with 2500+ with Hornady GCs.

The match was shot on NRA 100 and 200 yard reduced 600 yard targets.
We shot two 10 shot groups for group and two 10 shot strings for score at 100 yards on the 100/600 reduced target and the same at 200 yards on the 200/600 reduced target.

Shooting mostly against M1903 and M1903A3s. I won the grand aggregate for group and the grand aggregate for score which makes me the Arizona Military Rifle Cast bullet Champion for 2016.

The displayed target was shooting the 100 yard target for score shown and
had put 3 shots at the top of the X ring.
I thought I should go down 1/4 moa as the group was literally "bug hole".
A little voice I the back of my head said not to but I did anyway......
put the 4th shot in the X ring at 6:30 and congratulated my self......
until the 5th shot........
it's the low barely a 10 at 7:00....
.......that little voice in the back of my head said; See Stupid
.......moving the sight moves the center of the cone of fire not the strike of the bullet
........went back up 1/4 moa and put the last 5 in the "bug hole"
.......go figure
.........still a very good score of 100 with 7 Xs

......After that string the wind started giving us all fits. No wind flags were allowed, no measurement of wind is allowed and there is nothing, nada, zip to judge the wind by on the Ben Avery BR range.

As the match director said; there are no BR records set at Ben Avery

........I am very inclined to not disagree

Guess who shot the above target and won accolades shooting against other cast boolit shooters ....

Half Dog
04-26-2016, 06:18 PM
I'm impressed. That is great shooting.

Artful
04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Indeed it is - I'm happy when I do that with SMK's

Maven
04-26-2016, 06:30 PM
Excellent target, Artful!

Artful
04-26-2016, 07:37 PM
It is but it's not mine - care to guess who shot it?

runfiverun
04-26-2016, 08:39 PM
the load description is a dead giveaway, no need to mention his name.
odd he changed his alloy from ww's and 2% Tin, to the same alloy I use for target shooting though.

Artful
04-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Nice! (But you forgot a pic of the rifle,,,,,:-P)

Here's the rifle he used
https://30eca00a039f-002391.vbulletin.net/filedata/fetch?id=6229&d=1456695264&type=full

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-26-2016, 09:17 PM
Larry.

If you can't figure out the rest, you ain't in touch with real cast boolit shoot'n.

Artful
04-26-2016, 09:39 PM
no need to mention his name.

He who must not be named evidently.

Finster101
04-26-2016, 09:43 PM
I miss Larry's post! He was a wealth of knowledge and funny sometimes too.

Half Dog
04-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Well ok...it seems I missed something. Can you at least PM me so I don't stay clueless?

Artful
04-26-2016, 11:53 PM
PM sent on banned members of note.

Scharfschuetze
04-27-2016, 12:20 AM
I'll be shooting skeet, rifles and handguns with him this summer. I think some Canadian Whiskey afterwards too.

DougGuy
04-27-2016, 12:54 AM
That's danged good shootin' no argumentatives from me!

Artful
04-27-2016, 01:35 AM
I'll be shooting skeet, rifles and handguns with him this summer. I think some Canadian Whiskey afterwards too.

Wait, what was the date of this invite? :bigsmyl2:

PAT303
04-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Pffff,we had two members on here once that would not waste components shooting groups like that,every rifle they had shot 1/2'' ''bug holes''. Pat

Teddy (punchie)
04-27-2016, 06:17 AM
Well lost me !! But still nice group.

w5pv
04-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Doggone good shooting.I am proud to see anyone shoot like that.

leebuilder
04-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Nice shootin! !!!!.
I would be chuffed to bits with a grouping like that.
Be well

Scharfschuetze
04-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Wait, what was the date of this invite? :bigsmyl2:

Art,

It's up in my neck of the woods: Puget Sound area in Washington State. Next year it should be down in your area. We'll have to organize a shoot-a-thon down there in Arizona next year.

Today I'm meeting another forum member for a pistol shoot at my club.

Artful
04-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Give a head's up as to the date and I'll do my best to be there.

RU shooter
04-27-2016, 04:56 PM
Great shooting indeed !!! I swear he uses some special magical Dacron in his load because I never get groups like that :bigsmyl2: . If no one else is gonna give the man credit by naming him I will , Bravo Larry Gibson , the Man helped me out a lot when I first started shooting cast bullets in that same type of rifle in fact .

Tim

Smoke4320
04-27-2016, 06:16 PM
yes a lot of knowledge left with that man..
its sad that there is no plan/method to redeem oneself after a serious breach.. even in society you are supposed have that opportunity

dtknowles
04-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Larry would be a fool to want to come back. He is good where he is. Nice shooting.

Tim

Scharfschuetze
04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
I swear he uses some special magical Dacron in his load because I never get

I've shot that Finish rifle of his. It's a real tack driver.

dtknowles
04-27-2016, 09:48 PM
I've shot that Finish rifle of his. It's a real tack driver.

I bet that you used his ammo, I don't think it is all the gun.

Tim

swheeler
04-28-2016, 09:16 AM
That is some mighty fine shootin' Larry!

Smoke4320
04-28-2016, 12:08 PM
Larry would be a fool to want to come back. He is good where he is. Nice shooting.

Tim

That may be true ..
We were better with him and several others here..

I just know things happen and sometimes the causes are not evident at first and sometimes are correctable ..
Example I had a customer who was an arrogant SO you know for the first 5 to 6 times he came in.
During one conversation he mentioned he was a MS sufferer .. few weeks later he came in a totally different attitude .. Dr had changed his meds and he was a completely different person and has been since..
Once I had a fungus infection Dr have me something that turned me mean as a snake for about 3 weeks .. Wife had to warn everyone as they came in it was the meds talking

osteodoc08
04-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Congrats to him. Miss his wealth of knowledge and how he always answered my simple questions with a depth of knowledge (and humbleness) of a true professor of the craft.

Screwbolts
04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
great shooting, and I know who the banned person is that shot it, some still think he never shot cast competition.

Ken

Scharfschuetze
04-29-2016, 08:46 PM
great shooting, and I know who the banned person is that shot it, some still think he never shot cast competition.

Ken

Ken, I haven't ever noticed that; but if true, I wonder why that is? Jealousy perhaps?

I shot on a couple of military rifle teams with him going back 25 years or so and I competed against him in numerous matches up through the regional level. He is the consummate marksman, gunsmith and sportsman and he was/is always willing to take the time to help a new shooter or fix another shooter's rifle between relays.

I've also shot his cast boolit loads from his different match rifles several times as he has mine. The suggestion that he's never shot in a cast boolit match is pure hog wash and must come from a seriously deluded poster. If in doubt, I invite said poster to look up the results from the recent matches in Phoenix. It's a no brainer.

runfiverun
04-29-2016, 10:20 PM
anyone that say's Larry can't cast or shoot just needs to look up some of his posts.
or needs glasses.

snoopy
04-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Wow, I guess I missed it. Definitely will miss his expertise, a class act as far as I'm concerned.

dtknowles
04-30-2016, 10:41 PM
While I like Larry and respect his ability he had a temper problem, he could not suffer disagreement.

Tim

cainttype
05-05-2016, 10:36 PM
the load description is a dead giveaway, no need to mention his name.
odd he changed his alloy from ww's and 2% Tin, to the same alloy I use for target shooting though.

I was under the impression that #2 was around as a standard long before any of us were casting for anything..
I also seem to remember 45 2.1 and his anti-Larrys all claiming that #2 was too tin rich for "shooting bugholes".
What else???... Oh, yea... Shooting CBA matches, checking match scores, and getting your name on some recognized winner's list seemed to be pretty important stuff, although they couldn't cite exactly where all their competition scores were.

I'm curious what that group has proven after all this time? Have any of them also actually achieved anything match-related since their exit from here?

In truth, I don't really care what any of them are doing, or have done.
I thought every one of them should have been able to proceed in whatever direction they wanted, and share their observations and results here without being confronted constantly.
Why grown men, pursuing the same interests, can't allow others to attempt what they are unwilling to try... and return here to post freely, always struck me as infantile behavior.

We would do this hobby a favor by encouraging experimentation by others with things we are unfamiliar with, welcoming ideas we find odd to be explored by anyone interested. Results from such experiments are a benefit to us all.

HangFireW8
05-08-2016, 03:50 PM
I don't see the point of dragging up past arguments and trying to make points. They're on different forums now, for good reasons, do it there.

If the mods restored all the edited and deleted posts of the band camp, a re-reading of the forum might yield a different opinion of the dearly departed.

In many cases, correct, helpful answers from other folks were drowned out in the bickering, over-explanation, taking sides and self-congratulation.

There is still plenty of expertise here. Maybe now they can be heard, too.

cainttype
05-08-2016, 09:44 PM
I thought every one of them should have been able to proceed in whatever direction they wanted, and share their observations and results here without being confronted constantly.
Why grown men, pursuing the same interests, can't allow others to attempt what they are unwilling to try... and return here to post freely, always struck me as infantile behavior.

We would do this hobby a favor by encouraging experimentation by others with things we are unfamiliar with, welcoming ideas we find odd to be explored by anyone interested. Results from such experiments are a benefit to us all.

Not all of the narcissists, or their enablers, have "departed".
Hopefully, older accepted truths and newer, not-yet-proven, ideas can be better tolerated here in the future by all.
One of those "old truths" is that any person that thinks they already know it all isn't worth much to anybody.

Scharfschuetze
05-09-2016, 12:10 AM
Anyone remember the movie "Kelly's Heros?"

What was it that Odd Ball stated throughout the movie... I think that was: "Why all the the negative vibes man."

Mytmousemalibu
05-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Anyone remember the movie "Kelly's Heros?"

What was it that Odd Ball stated throughout the movie... I think that was: "Why all the the negative vibes man."

"Woof Woof!"

hutch18414
05-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Maybe I missed it but does anyone know what velocity he was getting with that load?

temac
05-14-2016, 01:19 AM
I'm a newbie here but I enjoyed and learned a lot from Larry's post. He seemed very helpful and experienced. Went home last week and bought some Leverevolution to work up some 762-39 loads that he did for another member here. Why did he get the boot?

dtknowles
05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
He took oppositional and argumentative to a new level and made it personal.

Tim

runfiverun
05-14-2016, 01:29 PM
that load turns in about 1925 fps from a 20" barrel, not much more in a longer one.
it's real stable in a bunch of case sizes [308 to 30-06] because of the filler.

Andy
05-25-2016, 08:34 PM
I really learned a lot from larry's posts and the time or two I pmed him for info he was always very helpful, I really wish he was still an active member on this board as it is the only shooting forum I go to and I miss having his input here. His methodology was always very scientific and I appreciated the detail that he described things in. I am glad he is shooting groups like that, hope someday I can do the same.

TCLouis
05-25-2016, 11:26 PM
I invited someone to this group some years ago. He liked what he saw here and posted some of his results using lead projies.
Some here made it their task to attack his posts and results, so he left.
Unlike some I just look at results people post, try to copy those that may be of help and ignore the rest.

If you will notice all of the gun related boards blow up about a month after the close of hunting season.

Many seem to be simply suffering hunting withdrawal and/or cabin fever since both hit during the dead of winter when many can/will not get out to shoot . . .

izzyjoe
05-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Larry was a wealth of knowledge, and will be missed. Everybody has problems, some just keep them hid from everyone!

temac
06-11-2016, 06:48 AM
It's sad to see stuff like that happen. I belong to a shooting range that is governed by a bunch of jack legs that kicked the IPSC crowd off it's range because they were intimidated. Scared they would loose control of the club. Never mind the fact that they never used the place or knew anything about competative shooting much less practice safe gun handling. It was about control, years prior ran the SASS off for same reasons. I'd prefer to unite rather than digress in a power struggle but each to his own. What site is Larry hanging around these days I find his knowledge interesting.

Scharfschuetze
06-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the issues at your gun club Temac. I'm fortunate to belong to the Paul Bunyan Club in the South Puget Sound. Great bunch of guys with action shooting, steel shooting, National Match (the full 600 yard course), NRA bullseye pistol, pistol silhouette, et cetera.

Larry's over at Goodsteel's site. Just Google "Goodsteel" and it should get you a link.

By the way, Larry just won another cast boolit rifle match over at the Phoenix ranges last weekend.

temac
06-12-2016, 01:45 AM
Scharfschuctze, I was in your neck of the woods last June. Spent about a week on standby waiting to tow the USS Jarred to its final resting place. Left SE Louisana through the Canal and up the West Coast into the Sound and up to Bremerton. Beautiful country up there. Had a great time, bet they are still talking on that Navy base about them crazy Cajuns. Wish I had more time to spend there but we couldn't stray to far from our tug. Yeah wish our club could see the forest through the trees but aint many of those old timers left guess we gonna have to outlast them.

temac
06-12-2016, 01:49 AM
And thanks for the info on Larry, I'll check that site.

Scharfschuetze
06-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Temac,

If you get up here again and have an extra day, I'll get you out to the range or perhaps over to Central Washington for a shoot-a-thon over there.

I stop in at the Navy base in Bremerton from time to time to see what's tied up there. I took the family on the USS Missouri a couple of times when it was docked there.

temac
06-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Scharf,
Thanks for the invite, I've since moved to inland tugs and we are running out of Houston. My hitch is up the 15th. I'll be back in to talk with personel about getting back on the offshore side since oil prices are back up. We were tied up untill we went to Seattle and tied back up again so inshore I went. We were supposed to have some more of those Frigates to bring down to scrap don't know what happened with that. It was a 3 month hitch there and back longer than the norm for me. I'll keep u posted thanks for the hospitality.

PS Paul
06-12-2016, 10:20 PM
So were you one of those guys from LA who were buyin' up all the Abita Amber and Purple Haze beer at the BevMo store in Silverdale while you were staying out here?

dtknowles
06-12-2016, 10:34 PM
So were you one of those guys from LA who were buyin' up all the Abita Amber and Purple Haze beer at the BevMo store in Silverdale while you were staying out here?

Be happy he left you the Turbo Dog. Better Abita beer.

Tim

Jake70
06-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Very nice! Congrats!

swheeler
06-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Cleaned there clocks a second time. That 4895 plus Dacron load at just under 1850 fps is a winner, good job Larry!