PDA

View Full Version : source for buying lead/tin mixtures for casting

hank woll
04-26-2016, 05:38 PM
where is there a good trusted source for lead and alloys??-thanks

Half Dog
04-26-2016, 06:29 PM
I've always purchased from members here. I haven't been disappointed yet.

imashooter2
04-26-2016, 07:08 PM
Depends on what you are looking for. Most folks want cheap, and cheap means scrap alloys that are usually just a guess as to composition. Most "pure" lead sold here is really just soft lead from pipe, roof jacks, etc. that is probably pretty close to pure but could contain small amounts of calcium, arsenic, antimony or who knows what else. Likewise most tin is from scrap solder or pewter.

For real pure metals, you have to buy virgin alloy from a foundry like Rotometals and pay the price.

For the vast majority of casting, scrap materials are just fine and a caster would be hard pressed to tell the difference between them and virgin metal.

bangerjim
04-26-2016, 08:22 PM
PM me. I have a bunch.

noisewaterphd
04-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Check local classifieds and scrap yards.

Visit the swap and sell section on this site. (or PM bangerjim)

And finally you have places like Rotometals: http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

shooting on a shoestring
05-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Rotometals.
They have a good deal on tin in small pieces cut from wire. It's very easy to handle.
i really like their superhard antimonial lead. They also have lead/tin alloys.
They have free shipping on some quantities.
I've made a couple of buys and was very pleased with price/product/service.

hank woll
05-25-2016, 07:12 AM
what do you have and how can i get in touch with you??-email perhaps

RogerDat
06-02-2016, 06:53 PM
what do you have and how can i get in touch with you??-email perhaps
Click on the persons name in the box to the left of their post, drop down list offers some choices, click on Private Message. Allows you to post a message directly to another member and they can respond directly back. People arrange sale of items using Private Message or PM's so they can exchange addresses, email, or phone numbers without putting it out for the entire internet.

Members are a good source, based on price, generally much cheaper than "factory new" and many members have a long reputation of integrity in their dealings with other members. I don't buy much lead that way but brass, dies, molds, accessories I have bought, I sometimes sell or trade lead and casting alloys. People do deals for hundreds of dollars with other members in the swapping and selling forum sometimes. Do a search for a members name in straight shooters and deadbeat forum. Nice group when dealing with members but reputation is like virginity you only lose yours once. Then it is gone for good.

Banger may be a little crazy since he doesn't Always agree with me but other than that he is pretty ok guy. Whatever you can't get from him you can find in Swapping and Selling forum or for factory new certified alloys buy from RotoMetals who are a site sponsor, they have a link at the top of pretty much every page in the forum, you will probably pay around 2X the price that members sell to each other at for the Rotometals stuff, but it will be exactly what you expect.

Scrounging for scrap is fun, can get some great deals BUT it takes time, and there is a lot of guess work and learning curve to translating your found goodies into bullets. Starting with nice clean stuff and reasonably well known stuff from members is an advantage because it takes most of that guess work out of the process. Folks are generally selling the same stuff they use and know what it is good for and how to use it for what use case.