PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my Sig p938

LUCKYDAWG13
04-26-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm having some issues with my Sig p938 yesterday when I was at the range after about a hundred rounds the magazine would drop out in my hand and the slide will not lock back 50% of the time at first I thought I was hitting the magazine release button but that was not the case it didn't happen all the time but enough to where I can't trust anyone else have any issues with their Sig p938

Mk42gunner
04-26-2016, 05:13 PM
I have only looked at those in a gun shop, never fired one; but it looks like a shrunken 1911, right?

If so, it sounds like a couple of problems, maybe just one that is causing both issues. The magazine dropping out could cause the slide not to lock, but check your slide stop and magazine follower anyway.

The magazine dropping prematurely could be a bad mag catch, bad mag catch spring, or a worn notch in the magazine itself.

Does it do it with all magazines?

Robert

LUCKYDAWG13
04-26-2016, 07:13 PM
yes it's sorta like a little 1911 and yes it does it with other magazine's as well I gave Sig a call today it's going back home on there dime
it's a nice little pistol i like it a lot just thought i would see if other P938 owners may have same issues

Mk42gunner
04-27-2016, 01:13 AM
From what I read, it sure seems that SIG takes care of their customers, unlike a few others we could all name.

Let us know how it turns out.

Robert

gray wolf
04-27-2016, 10:41 AM
It may be a stretch for you but here is what happened to me.
May help someone, The hammer strut broke in half on my 1911.
OK no big deal, call Springfield and they sent a new hammer strut.
Ten minutes and all fixed, right ? wrong.
While I had the pistol apart I thought hey ! I need a little more pressure on my thumb safety so I replace the spring in the plunger tube, wow that's better, stiffened up the thumb safety.
the safety was just right, a little stiffer.

MAGS would not lock back on last round, W T H now?

What happened is this, the stronger spring in the plunger tube puts pressure on both sides <---->, the thumb safety and the slide release.

The added pressure on the slide release along with a slight burr on the surface that contacts the slide caused the slide
lock/release not to rise up quite enough to lock the slide back.

Replaced the old plunger tube spring and took some 600 paper to the top of the slide release and WA/La all better.

Always something new to be learned, I hate sending guns to the gun clinic.

May help someone.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-09-2016, 06:01 PM
update i got my P938 back today had to take day off of work so i could sing for it when FedX came so as long as i had the day off went up to my range to try it out still not fixed slide will not stay back after last round has been fired not happy with Sig at all you think they would test any way it's going back to sig
just venting right now that it's costing me another vacation day

Geraldo
05-09-2016, 06:58 PM
Are you sure you're not riding the slide release? If you're not, it's either the mag not bumping the slide release, or an issue with the slide release itself.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Are you sure you're not riding the slide release? If you're not, it's either the mag not bumping the slide release, or an issue with the slide release itself.

yes I'm sure i put over 1k down range when i first got it with no issues at all same grip thumbs up I was using Factory ammo too and 3 magazines
it just burns me that it was not fixed right the first time and that i need to use my vacation time up

palmettosunshine
05-10-2016, 10:47 PM
Hey Lucky, Go to SigTalk and search for P938 issues. Yours sounds a lot like a MSH (Main Spring Housing) issue. Don't know when yours was made but there were issues with the early ones.
Click on Sig pistols and there is a subforum for 238/938. Prepare for hours of reading but remember, there are thousands of satisfied owners that don't post.

swmass
05-10-2016, 11:19 PM
My buddy works in a gun shop and says he has gotten a few back with that problem recently. He also carries that gun and has never had an issue. Ive shot it a few times and the slide never stays back since I ride the slide pretty hard and hit the slide lock. He also has a mag that doesn't hold the slide back for him, the other mag that came with it always holds the slide back for him.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-11-2016, 07:14 AM
I gave sig a call they were vary nice and helpful on the phone their customer service is great now i just hope that it gets fixed 100% this time

Moonie
05-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Sig should make it right. Wife's first pistol is a 938, the purple one. We had a few issues with jams in the first hundred rounds but it's been flawless since. Granted we only have a few hundred through it.