PDA

View Full Version : I held an M1A Polymer stock and came to a decision.

Captain O
04-25-2016, 11:35 PM
This is the way to go. The .308 Winchester (7.62 x 51) is a far better choice than the 5.56 x 45 (a.k.a. Jeff Cooper's "poodle shooter"). The polymer stock certainly makes a difference when it comes to carrying this "full sized battle rifle". It beats the #ell out of carrying the heavy wood stock of the old M14 of "our war", without sacrificing accuracy and power. It is time to begin saving for both the M1 Carbine as well as the polymer stock M1A. I'll have the best of both worlds. :guntootsmiley: :Bright idea: :2_high5:

Life is good, long live The Republic. Down with tyranny!

"Political Correctness is Fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

country gent
04-26-2016, 10:41 AM
I always though t the militaries "plastic stock for the M14 was kind of springy to get best accuracy out of. I did bed a couple up for guys and they shot acceptably but not on the order of the better wood stocks bedded and properly fitted. Just my 2 cents worth here. Both of my M1As have bishop heavy walnut stocks and krieger full heavy barrels, tuned bedded and NM sights.

TenTea
04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
The original USGI synthetics have a more slender wrist than most any of the walnut stocks and are easier for me to reach the trigger, comfortably.
I always thought the synthetics were more comfortable because of this fact.

Gunor
04-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Captain O - what plastic stock did you touch? USGI or ...?

I was looking for maybe replacing my stock and ....wondering on a good choice. I already have wood and plastic - USGI stocks for it...

Quickdraw4u
04-26-2016, 01:18 PM
I have had a couple of walnut stocked M1a's. I cried every time I would nick them. I finally went with the Springfield Stainless NM with the black plastic stock. Not only is all weather, but I have yet to mark the plastic. It is not springy or flexible. Not traditional but I like it a lot better!

historicfirearms
04-26-2016, 02:04 PM
I'm going through stocks on my new scout squad. It came with the sai plastic stock. It's good, I like the sharp checkering, slenderness, lock up, and soft recoil pad. I hate the look and the magazines are a tight fit. I've got a USGI beech stock that weighs ten ounces more than the plastic one. Looks good, lock up not as tight, and slipperier to hold not being checkered. I also have a USGI fiberglass stock that is good too. It's slightly heavier than the wood stock believe it or not. Lock up is good and it's checkered. Just not sure I like the looks of it.

Captain O
04-26-2016, 03:59 PM
It was a Desert Sand colored fiberglass stock. (Pretty much a "standard issue" unit). I threw it up to my shoulder and felt right at home.

376Steyr
05-17-2016, 06:12 PM
I have a USGI green "plastic" stock on mine, which I don't think Springfield offers anymore. Steel buttplate for keeping a cleaning kit in it (and also makes that vertical butt stroke more effective when bayonet fighting) and a slim profile with non-slip surfaces where they need to be. I like it.

M-Tecs
05-17-2016, 06:58 PM
The USGI "plastic" stocks tend to have POI shifts as the temperature changes. Wood or fiberglass don't have this issue. Probably not an issue for most but never could get them to work for NRA Service.