PDA

View Full Version : H@R first range trip 38-55

lonewolf5347
05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
The gun did well for the first range trip,I had a few loads made up all using 262 grain soft lead boolets with a BHN of 13.
I set up at 70 yards and added a small 1x4 scope just to see how the gun will group I have no intention in using a scope but will be switching back to a peep sight.
I tried IMR 26.0 out first all group excellent 1 1/2" maybe 15 rounds total
next out IMR 27.5 not bad but did have a fly er or 2 in the pattern
28.0 grains IMR right back to a nice 15 shot group 1"
I loaded a few with 10 grains of unique powder gun did not like the powder at all
I was surprise no problems at all with empty shell or action popping open: I have say I did close the action very gentle and it lock up fine
The IMRr and the cast 262 wheel weight air cooled but even at 28. grains of powder showed no leading at all.
I think it will be a excellent whitetail gun for the up incoming season and I love the recoil.)NONE)
bullshop did the cast at .380 and he does a excellent job:Fire:

Buckshot
05-11-2008, 02:54 AM
.............Sounds like a fine first outting. Yup, ole Bullshop does a fine job doesn't he!? Which IMR powder were you using? Your load sounds like maybe 4198?

...............Buckshot

lonewolf5347
05-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Imr 3031

05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
The gun did well for the first range trip,I had a few loads made up all using 262 grain soft lead boolets with a BHN of 13.
I set up at 70 yards and added a small 1x4 scope just to see how the gun will group I have no intention in using a scope but will be switching back to a peep sight.
I tried IMR 26.0 out first all group excellent 1 1/2" maybe 15 rounds total
next out IMR 27.5 not bad but did have a fly er or 2 in the pattern
28.0 grains IMR right back to a nice 15 shot group 1"
I loaded a few with 10 grains of unique powder gun did not like the powder at all
I was surprise no problems at all with empty shell or action popping open: I have say I did close the action very gentle and it lock up fine
The IMRr and the cast 262 wheel weight air cooled but even at 28. grains of powder showed no leading at all.
I think it will be a excellent whitetail gun for the up incoming season and I love the recoil.)NONE)
bullshop did the cast at .380 and he does a excellent job:Fire:

Ole' Bullshop and Co.... fine folks. Make some excellent bullets too.
Like Buckshot, I would have guessed 4198 but hey, use what works. You might try 4198 or Rel. #7. They seem to be very good in the 38-55.

You are lucky and have a luxury to be able to shoot .380 bullets. (What's your groove diameter?) I shoot two different original Wins in 38-55 and both have chambers mis-matched to the groove diameter :confused: No clue why Winchester did that other than they may have not been worried about the Nth degree of accuracy back then as we are today or were using very thin walled brass??? The grooves in both guns are very close to .380 but even with fairly thin-walled brass the chamber/neck diameter will only allow .3795 bullets. Took all I had to fine tune loads for them to shoot accurately.

Anyway nice to hear of the fine results

lonewolf5347
05-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I did slug the bore can't remember off hand but starline brass made a big difference and let me chamber the larger cast boolet

OBXPilgrim
05-11-2008, 08:29 PM
I shoot two different original Wins in 38-55 and both have chambers mis-matched to the groove diameter

Seems the oversize bore must be more of a standard with 38-55 guns - there's a couple threads already about H&R's with oversize bores. Surely Winchester didn't do the same thing!!

Lonewolf- that's good shootin'!! No recoil to boot, huh? Glad that didn't bother your neck after the surgery. Sounds like it's much better.

05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
OBX,
The two Wins are very early model 1894 rifles. Wish it weren't so but 'tis true. Don't have any single shots in 38-55 nor any Aitch&Auras but have followed those threads with interest. By using very thin walled brass and gas checked bullets sized right to .3795 I can get close enough to the groove diameter so both guns shoot very well- lucky in that respect. Even .379 bullets were at the margin and most showed some instability. The .377s and .378s were grossly unstable with some punching nice bullet profiles showing nearly 45 degree yaw on the target. If the groove diameters were even .0005 larger they'd both likely be wallhangers. I even tried very soft alloys and BP in the hopes that they'd bump up and do OK. That was a no go! I can relate to those who have guns with .380 groove barrels and .377 chambers- they may have to get the chambers reamed or barrels replaced I guess to have much hope for decent accuracy. :mad: