PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for globe sight installation?

stubbicatt
04-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Say fellas, I just bought a MVA front sight for my 1904 Winchester for use against marauding steel silhouettes in the lever action silhouette game.

After the tang sight was installed, I had to crank in about 3 minutes right windage to center up the groups, using the original brass or bronze colored standard front sight. In the best of all possible worlds, I would install the replacement sight in the front dovetail in such a manner as the windage on the rear would "zero" out. I reckon fire 2 or 3 shots, and then adjust front sight left or right as needed to center up the group without shifting the rear sight left or right.

I understand the concepts and methods of drifting the sight in the dovetail until it centers up. What I am unsure of is how to either make reference marks on the barrel and sight to accomplish this, or maybe use the tail of my caliper or something to make those micro fine adjustments in windage on that front sight, so that I can get it to zero out. I'm sure open for suggestions of what has worked for you in the past.

Regards,
Stubb.

Calamity Jake
04-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Use a piece of masking tape and a sharp pencil to make your witness mark.
Place the tape on barrel then up the back of the sight make the mark then cut the tape
at the base of the sight.
Remove any oil so the tape will stick good.

country gent
04-25-2016, 05:16 PM
You can put a piece of tape on the barrel and 2 madks at each square edge of the sights base this will show much like a vernieer does. Use a very sharp pencil for this. The problem with the calipers is there isnt a square edge or surface to measure from the radious of the barrel dosnt give a real good refrence point A indicator sets c-clamp and a 1" travel indictor can be used give veed anvil and clamp pad several layers of cloth tape to avoid scratching Level top of reciver in a vise and then the rod on the indicator c-clamp set indicator at .500 with stem against base of Globe ( a flat spot) Then tap wha you need onto the front. Front sight moves in the direction of correction needed. Error " X sight radious " . distance "

phonejack
04-25-2016, 06:52 PM
I use fingernail polish for a witness mark. When I'm thru, polish remover takes it off.

stubbicatt
04-26-2016, 07:55 AM
Thanks fellas. I have a supply of that white medical tape that is a little bit stickier than masking tape, so I reckon that is what I will use.

Regards,
Stubb

country gent
04-26-2016, 10:34 AM
As long as a very sharp pencil will make write on it with a crisp clean line your good to go. Another trick to get the finest line possible is after the pencil sharpener use a piece of 600 grit sand paper backed by a piece of flat metal or wood and tune up the point to truly sharp, the finer the line the easier to see small movements

Dan Cash
04-26-2016, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=. Front sight moves in the direction of correction needed. Error " X sight radious " . distance "[/QUOTE]

Front sight moves in opposite direction of correction

country gent
04-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Opps sorry got it turned around Dan

stubbicatt
04-27-2016, 08:12 AM
I dunno. It has always been confusing to me to adjust the rifle to the sights, so I just adjust the sights to the rifle. It is easier that way for me. If it is shooting left, either drift front sight left, or back sight right, so the sights line up with the rifle.