PDA

View Full Version : I went and did it

IcerUSA
05-10-2008, 09:04 PM
I went back and looked at the Mossberg SS1 but , it wasn't really what I wanted as far as a caliber was concerned and he still didn't have any news as to when he would be getting a Buffalo Classic in.

So on Wednesday I had to go to town (Grand Rapids,MI) to pick up my scrips to send in to the mail order place and had a little time so I stop by one of the sporting goods stores in town (Silver Bullet) and was looking at the stuff on the racks and display cases, finally the counter area gets a few less people around it and one of the guys comes up and starts talking to me , looked at a nice lever gun , import I think , had a thou on it for price , nice looking rifle tho . Looked at Savage's little 22 that kind of looks like a Favorite , quit little bugger .

Then I asked about the Buffalo Classic , whoa , got a quote of $380.00 plus tax for a total of a little over $402.00 , I be danged if I didn't write a check for it and he said it would be here next week by wens day , great , I can do that .

WOW , What did you say Hun , was about the first things out of my mouth this morning when she said that the gun place called yesterday while I was at work and said that my gun was in ................ finally got my 2 cups of coffee in me , got cleaned up and off I go ....gee this is great ....... I get there and of course as usual the counter is full of people ............wait ..........look around a bit........most of the people are gone now and one of the guys comes up and I hand him the sales recite......... he gets another guy and he goes and gets the box........he comes back and puts the box on the counter and opens it....I'm just a lookin and the wood don't look to bad from here...........he takes the bag off the barrel and the paper......nice if I do say so myself.........he has the paper work there and I'm working on one sheet and he's working on the Fed's paper with the numbers on the rifle...........he gets done and hands me it.........feels real good, hefty, not bad on balance eather...........pop it open and look down the barrel......... looks good....flip it and look down the barrel from the muzzle.........still looks good..........close er up , pull back the hammer and pull the trigger......letting the hammer fall on my thumb.....not a bad trigger pull and a good thump on the thumb....this is going to be fun if it can shoot as good as it looks.........Manager walks by and comes to a complete stop , looks at the rifle ........I've talked with him a few times while in there looking around......I hold it out for him to look at and you should have seen the grin on his face.......it was priceless , I don't think he ever seen one before . :)

Well I got home and went to cleaning it , man o man is that some nasty stuff they use to rifle a barrel , scrubbed and patched ........ hmmm.........seems to be a little drag in a couple spots on the patch but it's still durty........brush again and let set for a few mins, patch still dirty and dragging but less , well after an hour or so it was felling pretty good when I ran the patch thru , 6 scrubbings with the brush and about 30 mins of wait time it was looking good . Hope it shoots , wonder how far the sights are off , hope my shoulder can take this thing.........mind going a mile a min .

I load up the truck as I was planning to go to the range today anyway , my neighbor , Ray shows up as he was going to go along to shoot his Handi in 45-70 that we got a couple weeks ago at the gun show , git his stuff loaded in the truck and off to the range we go , he knows I have been wanting the Buffalo Classic but I kept mum about it :twisted: , we get to the range and do a little brass scrounging and unload the truck , chit-chatting , nice day also . I unzip the case and told Ray to take the rifle out.....hehehe.....another priceless moment.....he's all grins .

Now for the biggie , virgin barrel , lead boolits , how is this thing going to shoot with out any work on the barrel ? I have some loads I did up for the GG but not much in the way of a plinker in the bunch........Oh Well , I take a load I had with 31gns of 5744 with the light weight GB 260ish gn boolit , just using a front rest and it was way low , rifle felt good tho , some push but not bad at all. dug around and took a load with a 405 gn boolit with some H4895 behind it..... this is going to hurt....BOOOM......not real bad but you know it had more that the first load :) .
What the heck , I had one load in that box with a 455 gn boolit but I also had it loaded for the GG.....BOOOM......now that is a load , good thing I don't load hot rod rounds as that was up there but manageable .

I had loaded up 27 rounds to do a ladder test in the GG with the GB light weight boolit....I had also moved the rear sight up the ramp to move impact closer to the bull , I started with the ladder rounds , first shot was on the edge of the bull at 50 yds , might be me as open sights any more are not good with my eye sight . Shot the second round and closer to the center of the bull , the bull is 6 inches on this target so I figure not too bad for me , shoot the last round with 26 gns as that is where I started for the ladder test with the powder I had chosen and had .5 gn increments to 30 gns , got to the 27 gn load and the majority of the hits on the bull where still a little low .

OK , moved to the 3 in. bull might be just me and the open sights being low , nope , I had put the post with the ball on top in the front sight aperture and on the 3 in. bull it covered it nicely so the rear sight is still not right but , for me they did preety good for a group , bummer out of the ladder rounds , adjusted the rear sight again and grabbed one of the 405gn boolit loads I had and gave it one last try and it went to center but I pulled it left . bummer .

But man was it fun.... gun shoots good for a raw barrel and now I'll have to get busy and work up a load for the 455gn boolit (460 in my alloy w/lube and GC) I want to shoot in this rifle , I think I got a good one , time will tell .

I'll get a pic up in awhile , heading out to get it cleaned up and to check for leading , but looking down the barrel at the range I'll have to say there isn't much if any leading that I could see in the barrel .

Done rambling like a kid with a new toy .

Keith

IcerUSA
05-11-2008, 12:09 AM
here are some pic's after I got her cleaned up a bit . :) Couple are a little blurry , sorry bout that .

Keith

Bigjohn
05-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Keith, sounds like you have a new "toy" to play with; I hope it's a shooter; good & accurate. :drinks:

Did the tight or rough spots in the barrel clean out with the first cleaning?

Or are they machining faults.

Hopefully you will get it sorted out soon and shootin' small holes (groups).

John.

garandsrus
05-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Keith,

You got a nice looking stock also!

John

IcerUSA
05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Bigjohn (John), I did get the bore to clean up real good after the shoot , think it still had some of the machining lube in the steel and there might have been some surface rust in there , kind of what it looked like as they may use a water soluble machining fluid with a rust inhabiter in it but it does not totally eliminate rust . There still seems to be a slight tight spot (less that a thou) right at the muzzle , might be a slight burr from the crowning or from the dovetail groove but it should work out before long , plus if it don't it might just help a little like on a 22 . :)

garandsrus (John), Yes it does , not AAA wood but it looks good , caught my eye when the guy opened the box when I went to pick it up . :)

Another question for anyone who reads this far down , on the globe front site , which insert seams to be the best over all for use , I had put the post with the dot on top to try first but after shooting it I think I need one of the post only and there are 2 in the package of inserts , a fat one and a thin one , thinking the thin one might be the better of the 2 , but I'm open for advice with the open sights tho . :)

Keith

IcerUSA
06-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Finally got the bore slugged , Muzzle is .456.5 and the chamber end is at .455.5 , muzzle end was slugged with a egg sinked but it seemed hard so it might have sprung back a little , chamber end was done with soft lead wire that I melted down and and made a slug in a 2X4 with a 15/32 drill plus it went into the rifling a litter easier than the muzzle end.
Now the biggie , should I be sizing at .457 or keep using my .460's ? . I do get some leading but it doesn't seem to be stuck to the barrel , more like lead shavings as there is no build-up of lead in the grooves .

Keith