PDA

View Full Version : 7.7-58 185g lee RN

Toney
10-21-2005, 11:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee cast 185g RN with check
30grains powder pulled from Rom. 8MM surp.
reformed 06 cases
CCI mag LR Primer
OAL 2.925

Ten shot string out of 20" T99
AV 1787 LO 1715 HI 1904 ES 188.7 SD 59.07

Wife shot 10 rounds into 4 1/2" @ 100yards!

Buckshot
10-22-2005, 10:48 PM
..........I have a buddy with 2 superb jap rifles. a 7.7 and a 6.5. He isn't a caster but shoots commercial cast. I've tried to get him to reload for at least the 7.7, but can't get him off his butt.

..............Buckshot

jethrow strait
10-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Timely subject for me Buckshot, could you elaborate on "superb" and the loads that guy likes, even if it's with commercial cast boolits, in the 7.7?

Just as I was beginning to get a bit jaded on milsurp boltguns, I ran into a field capture 7.7, nicely sporterized, highly figured Fajen stock in a restrained classical style, 24" barrel, slide on ramp front with a Williams adj. rear on a heavy steel barrel band, trigger guard reshaped with the long lower tang removed. Even the original Japanese metalwork seemed far superior to what I have seen before. Fine sporter as far as it goes; alas the straight pear-shaped bolt handle and round-knurled safety remain. But, biggest surprise of all, preliminary results with the Harris Load(16/2400 and the Lee boolit)show accuracy rivaling my military cast boolit best---that is the Swedes, Finns, and two-groove 03A3, which for the most part have receiver sights.

Have used reformed 06 brass with no measurable case head expansion at all. Course, I,m only loading em up to 30k or so. Since Graf just got their metric stuff in, I went ahead and ordered some of their 7.7 brass as well.----jethrow

txpete
10-23-2005, 09:33 AM
the lee 185 works great in my jap T 99's.I have been loading up some AA5744 to try next time out.I got some of the graf brass in and good looking brass.
my bring back.
pete
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/txpete/Picture073.jpg

StarMetal
10-23-2005, 11:28 AM
I use the Lyman 314299 in my 7.7 and I use loads I make up looking at the Jap loads and the 30-06 loads in the Lyman cast book. I've shot alot of different rifle powders and used resized 30-06 brass. There were some old timers that said you could never get the accuracy that you can get with 7.7 brass with 06 brass. I say bring them on. Once it's been fired in the Jap and fits the chamber what really is the difference? I've also used my Jap with the Hornady 174 gr roundnose to harvest some deer.

My rifle looks just like txpetes and those are called the Type 99 Short Rifles.

You fellows that have the Japs notice how easy chromed lined bores clean out?

Joe

Buckshot
10-24-2005, 02:54 AM
..........Jethrow, Superb as in never issued and unfired at the time. Friend Larry had 2 uncles in the Pacific in WW2. One was a Marine and the other was in the Army. The Marine uncle latched on to a really nice 6.5mm whose user had gone to visit his ancestors. The Army uncle was in on the liberation of Manila and pulled the 7.7 out of a crate at an ammo dump.

Both rifles have clean shiny barrels. I've seen and handled both. Larry does have some Norma ammo for the 7.7, but just doesn't seem interested in fooling around with them.

...............Buckshot