PDA

View Full Version : Discovery .177 or .22 ???????

jcwit
04-25-2016, 12:23 PM
I am looking at purchasing a Benjamin Discovery, my main purpose for it would be casual target shooting & plinking.

I wish no suggestions for any other model as with my health the way it is I see no reason to spend the amount others cost.

All of my other air guns are springer or air charged.

Now for the feed back.

Ballistics in Scotland
04-25-2016, 12:52 PM
As long as those are your uses for it, and you don't have a belt of brushwood or cultivation up the middle of your garden which compels you to do it at long range, there is no reason to go for anything but the .177.

I don't suppose you are limited by legislation like in the UK, where there is a limit on energy for it to be uncontrolled, that means that the same gun will have a much higher velocity, and flatter trajectory, in the .177 version. But I would expect that technical considerations mean the Benjamin is at least part-way to that situation. The .177 pellets are cheaper and easier to carry in large numbers, and an air rifle ricochet, while close to harmless in either size, is less likely to alarm people.

sixshootertexan
04-25-2016, 12:58 PM
.177 for target shooting. No need for higher power if your just punching holes in paper or tin cans.

TCLouis
04-25-2016, 01:37 PM
I have the 22, but for a pesting first, then function for paper punching.

That said I would recommend the .177, and somewhat wish I had one, desire the 177 enough that I am contemplating buying a barrel and probe and converting to .177.

You speak of health issues, are you going to be able to pup yours up, or are you going to buy a tank for air supply? I find it takes about 75 pump strokes to bring the gun back to full pressure from where the accuracy starts to drop off.

With the Disco one can go to the lower priced aluminum SCUBA 3000 psi tanks and still have a decent number of refills on the rifle.

Air guns are like 22 rimfire in that the guns ability to produce precision downrange is based on the guns preference for ammunition, in the airguns case, for a certain pellet. A lot of this issue will be the distance you plan to shoot. There are lots of pellets available in 177, I just hope you are lucky enough to find one of the cheaper ones that shoot well.

jcwit
04-25-2016, 02:19 PM
My health issues do no effect my ability to pump the rifle up, but my time is starting to run short. Dr. says 2 years at the most last time I saw him, will be going again in May and that is when I'll decide to buy one or not. Kidneys are failing.

jcwit
04-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Well I have a Benjamin Discovery in .177 with the hand pump on the way from Wal-Mart.

Came to $382 bucks and took out a new W/M credit card to get the $25 discount. Plus it came with a tin of Crossman pellets 750 and 3 packs of targets. Free shipping to the local store with free P/U.

Not a bad deal IMO.

TCLouis
04-30-2016, 11:08 PM
I think that is less than I paid through Amazon. You will be happy with it, I like mine!

jcwit
05-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Good to hear. Scheduled to arrive this Wend.

PerpetualStudent
05-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Looking forward to hear how she shoots. And also how handpumping a PCP works out for you.

Great deal by the way. Especially with the current price of .22lr, you'll beat the price of buying a new gun and plinking ammo within 500 shots. I might have to break down and get a PCP when it comes time to teach my daughter.

Silverboolit
05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I have the Disco in .177 and love it. I do use CO2 and not HPA. I got a 20=24oz. CO2 tank that the paintballers use and the adapter hose to charge the Disco with. Not quite the FPS that you would get with HPA, but the cost is very reasonable to get set up with.

cbashooter
05-02-2016, 10:10 PM
They are fun.I'd recommend a tko on the end.it really makes them quiet.