PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy an NOE mould!

ChromeArty
04-24-2016, 06:24 PM
Hey folks,

I have an STI Spartan in 9mm I'd like to buy a mould for. I have cast a few thousand with my LEE at this point and it works great... But I'd like a 4+ cavity brass mould from NOE... Just wondering if you have a preferred mould for 9mm I should know about :)

the boolits will also be shot out of a CZ75... But it's all about that STI ;)

gwpercle
04-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Me and my Walther P-38 favored the Lee 356-120-TC , 2 cavity . Wanting to improve on production and experience an NOE quality mould , I went with a 4 cavity NOE # 358-124-TC-GC . I rationalized the purchase because Lee doesn't make a 9 mm GC mould...yeah , that's rational reason enough .
testing shows three different 9 mm's all like this boolit , GC is not realy needed but I got plenty checks and I might try some soft alloy and load them warm. I have three other 9's to experiment with.
That boolit is well designed and thought out, I like it a lot.
Let me warn you , the 4 cavity aluminum is heavier than I expected , a lot heavier , I had to change my mould handling technique or my hands and arm got very tired. (I'm over 60 and ladle cast ).
I don't have a brass mould but it must be heavier than the aluminum....I don't think I could handle it .
I liked the first Noe mould so much that when I spotted my all time favorite 38/357 design in a 3 cavity aluminum mould , and it was IN STOCK I just couldn't stop myself from ordering it. Them Noe 3 cavities are some sweet hearts. The design is NOE 360-160-WC , I love it !
Gary

ChromeArty
04-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Me and my Walther P-38 favored the Lee 356-120-TC , 2 cavity . Wanting to improve on production and experience an NOE quality mould , I went with a 4 cavity NOE # 358-124-TC-GC . I rationalized the purchase because Lee doesn't make a 9 mm GC mould...yeah , that's rational reason enough .
testing shows three different 9 mm's all like this boolit , GC is not realy needed but I got plenty checks and I might try some soft alloy and load them warm. I have three other 9's to experiment with.
Let me warn you , the 4 cavity aluminum is heavier than I expected , a lot heavier , I had to change my mould handling technique or my hands and arm got very tired. (I'm over 60 and ladle cast ).
I don't have a brass mould but it must be heavier than the aluminum....I don't think I could handle it .
I liked the first Noe mould so much that when I spotted my all time favorite 38/357 design in a 3 cavity aluminum mould , and it was IN STOCK I just couldn't stop myself from ordering it. Them Noe 3 cavities are some sweet hearts. The design is NOE 360-160-WC , I love it !
Gary

Gary, thank you so much for your advice!

i hear conflicting theories about 38/357 boolits being used to load up 9mm... Do you do it with success? Or do you use your NOE 360-160-WC to load up a 38/357 revolver?

The reason I want to go NOE, other than the fine boolits they turn out, is I want a mould that will last me a lifetime. I am doing all the right things with my Lee Mould... But I like to have quality items :)

BrassMagnet
04-24-2016, 09:09 PM
Brass is very heavy compared to aluminum, or to steel.
I do not want to lift enough brass moulds to shoot competition with a STI.
Aluminum is sweet to cast with and I have many aluminum moulds from NOE.
However, for a lifetime of use I would buy steel!
H&G would be my first choice and Lyman would be my second choice.

Lyman moulds cast very nice, but there is just something magical about casting with a H&G 4C mould.

ChromeArty
04-24-2016, 10:00 PM
Brass is very heavy compared to aluminum, or to steel.
I do not want to lift enough brass moulds to shoot competition with a STI.
Aluminum is sweet to cast with and I have many aluminum moulds from NOE.
However, for a lifetime of use I would buy steel!
H&G would be my first choice and Lyman would be my second choice.

Lyman moulds cast very nice, but there is just something magical about casting with a H&G 4C mould.

H&G you say! ... That is a new name to me... I will have to research mwahahahaha :)

cheers!

Trev

runfiverun
04-24-2016, 10:50 PM
your overlooking that CZ.
feed it what it likes, and you'll be complaining about the long trigger pull in no time.

BrassMagnet
04-24-2016, 10:58 PM
H&G you say! ... That is a new name to me... I will have to research mwahahahaha :)

cheers!

Trev

Hensley & Gibbs
Made in San Diego. No longer in production (at least not by H&G!)

You will need to learn the mould numbers that interest you and shop S&S and FleaBay.

H&G moulds:

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/casting/Hensley%20&%20Gibbs%20Mould%20List.htm

Lyman moulds:

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

MT Gianni
04-24-2016, 11:46 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=34_256&osCsid=5rn00k7rh7sfbimiud4cjeh7k4
I run this in my CZ 75. It also likes the 124 gr rn.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=34_259&osCsid=5rn00k7rh7sfbimiud4cjeh7k4
I save the gc bullets for rifle loads, never needed one with the 9mm.

ChromeArty
04-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Gary

i hear conflicting theories about 38/357 boolits being used to load up 9mm... Do you do it with success? Or do you use your NOE 360-160-WC to load up a 38/357 revolver?

The reason I want to go NOE, other than the fine boolits they turn out, is I want a mould that will last me a lifetime. I am doing all the right things with my Lee Mould... But I like to have quality items :)

ChromeArty
04-25-2016, 12:02 AM
Thank you so much!!

I will ill continue my research :)

ChromeArty
04-25-2016, 10:49 AM
A fellow on our Canadian Gun Website just responded to a WTB add of mine for a 9mm mould from Accurate molds. It is a 5 cavity 115gr SWC for $125... I'm gonna buy it regardless of what it's made of... Hopefully it is steel or brass! As I already have aluminum :)

gwpercle
04-25-2016, 03:36 PM

The NOE 360-160-WC is a revolver boolit. I use it in 38 special and 357 magnum. Not suitable for 9 mm Luger.
I have used the Lee 358-105-SWC in 9 mm Luger , I got it to work with a little experimenting with proper bullet seating depth, but have found both the Lee and NOE 120-124 grain truncated cone boolits easier to get proper functioning with, mainly feeding.
I realy like the NOE best . Aluminum has to be treated with TLC , but the NOE blocks are large and hold heat and are beautifully made. The reason I prefer them is no rust and lighter weight.
Another reason is cost...the 4 cavity ran $92.00 in aluminum. The 3 cavity was $86.00.
Don't abuse them and I have no doubt they will last.
Some of my $9.99 Lee moulds from the 1970's are still in use , but I take care of my gear.
Gary