PDA

View Full Version : Wipe-Out Bore Cleaner

roscoe
04-24-2016, 05:15 PM
I was looking for something in the cabinets today and came across 2 cans of Wipe-Out Bore Cleaner. One can was new and the other one I had already started using. Since I haven't seen these in awhile I read the label again. One of the items it mentions it cleans is "Black Powder Fouling".

I do remember the first time I used it. I used it on a rifle I already thought I had cleaned the barrel. After using this I found it was not the case. So I thought I would try it out on my Sharps.

The active ingredients are:
1. Butylcellosolve (Glycol Ether) - http://www.dow.com/en-us/markets-and-solutions/products/cellosolvesolvent/butylcellosolvesolvent/
2. Alcohols
3. Water

Many of you gave me a lot of good recommendations when I ask how to clean my Sharps barrel. The process I'm using is the Ballistol and water. After a day at the range, I cleaned the barrel before I left the range.

After using the Wipe-Out, I happy to report my cleaning efforts at the range were great. A clean patch came out after the barrel was soaked for about an hour with the Wipe-Out.

The Ballistol solution I use is much cheaper than the Wipe Out. Ballistol runs about $16 and up for a 16 oz can. Where Wipe-Out runs about $11 and up for a 5 oz can.

The Wipe-Out is a good product which I have used many times in the past and may use it in the future. However the Ballistol solution for me is much more cost effective, easier and quicker to use.

country gent
04-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind that 16 oz can of ballistol is mixed with water is much more than the 16ozs originally. Ive used balistol for years for first clening on the barrels of my BPCR rifles followed by Shooters choice. I like to clean once then dry barrel and clean a second time with a diffrent solvent as some cut some things better than others.

marlinman93
04-24-2016, 09:14 PM
When using Wipe Out, or other strong cleaners (on smokeless or BP cleanup!) be sure to put a lightly oiled patch through the bore afterwards. The bore will be very bare and unprotected if you leave it after using Wipe Out.

JSH
04-26-2016, 05:58 PM
I use wipe out for jacketed and that is it. Balistol is what I have used for black.

upr45
04-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I have used wipe-out for copper fouling for several years. It works great for that, have not tried any of the other foaming bore cleaners so can not speak comparing it to those cleaners. I have used it on a muzzle loader and it pulled out fouling when I thought the bore was bright and clean. I always use a couple of patches wetted with Ballistol after wipe-out to neutralize the low pH of the wipe-out. I shoot more lead than anything else nowadays which cleans much easier than jacketed!

EDG
05-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Butylcellosolve is also used as a paint thinner. A supplier sent us a bad batch of epoxy paint back in the early 1980s and we thinned it with butylcellosolve. Since the stuff is so slow to dry it made the lusterless black camo paint semi-gloss. It should be good for cleaning smokeless rifles and shotguns but I would not expect it to be the best thing for black powder.