PDA

View Full Version : Receiver sight on an M48?

AbitNutz
04-24-2016, 08:54 AM
I think I'm going to give up the idea of putting a receiver sight on a Yugoslavian M48 that I have. This rifle has some serious stock wear/gouges but the metal looks great. The original rear sight mount looks to be swaged? Silver soldered? Around the barrel with no reasonable way of removing it. It seems that leaving it there would really interfere with the sight picture.

Yes? No? Any thought?

Scharfschuetze
04-24-2016, 11:11 AM
You can just remove the sight bar from its base. The base will look out of place, but you'll not notice it when aiming with the aperture sight.

You can also just put a higher front sight on the rifle and then when you zero, your aperture sight will be high enough to look over the original sight.

I believe that the sight base is silver soldered on, so you can remove it with the judicious use of heat from a propane torch.

If you drill and tap for the aperture sight, then you'll not need to worry about the collectability of the rifle so that will allow you more freedom of action in your choices.

W.R.Buchanan
04-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Typically those sights are Sweated on with soft solder. Usually they have a locating pin on the bottom which you need to drill out, or if you heat it and smack the sight base hard it will shear the pin off as it comes off.

Randy

AbitNutz
04-24-2016, 05:57 PM
The The front hooded sight is excellent. The rear might as well not exist because I can't begin to make that tiny notch. All in all Mojo sights are becoming a much more attractive alternative.