PDA

View Full Version : H&G #503 (.44 Keith bullet)

Dale53
05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I had a bit of luck, today. I was looking at bullet moulds and found a "like new" H&G two cavity mould complete with handles for the #503 (Keith design 250 gr bullet). I would have preferred four cavities but will just have to settle for two cavities.

For those that care about such things, I paid $75.00 for the mould. I could have received a Lyman four cavity mould for not much more but it wouldn't have been an H&G, so-o-o, I have a smile on my face!:mrgreen:

There was also a six cavity H&G (also like new) for the #247 bullet (a short nose "kind of Keith" design weighing about 215 grs ) but it didn't spin my propeller. Six cavity moulds are too heavy for me. Plus, I really was only interested in a full size Keith design.

If this keeps up, I'll soon have as much money invested in moulds as I do guns[smilie=1:.

I did try to "leverage that" by buying a new-in-the-box 625-6 .45 ACP 5" barreled revolver. This is a "no lock" revolver (boo-hoo:roll:).

All in all, a VERY good day:drinks:.

I have already ordered a mount and rings to "Red Dot" my new revolver and cannot wait until they arrive. In the meantime, I'll just have to console myself with casting a few bullets with my "new" H&G mould.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dale53

MtGun44
05-10-2008, 09:25 PM
I picked up a #503 a while back on eBay, it casts wonderfully but I have
not been able to get the time to test them. They look great though!

Bill

Dale53
05-11-2008, 12:48 AM
MtGun44;
I have shot a LARGE pile of them through .44 magnums. I used to swap moulds with a good friend and he had a four cavity H&G #503. I don't know how close they are to Elmer's original design but it appears that they are pretty dern close. Elmer's bullets are pretty dern good designs for general use. Hard to beat them (it is possible that a good "round flat" such as Lee's .358-158-RF might even be a little better). However, at that level we are just splitting hairs. I wish Lee made that design in a .44 AND a .45. I would immediately buy both, they look THAT good to me. I do have a six cavity Lee for the .358 mould but have not yet shot it at long range nor any animals with it. I DO have confidence in it, however.

At any rate, I will be using the #503 in the .44 for the foreseeable future if this mould works as well as I think it will.

Dale53

MtGun44
05-11-2008, 12:55 AM
That's good news. I have a number of Lyman and Ideal 429421 molds,
a RCBS 250 K and now the #503. Learning about Elmer's designs.

It is good to know that the 503 is a good version.

Bill

Le Loup Solitaire
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
You did well in obtaining a good H&G 2 cav for that price and it will serve you well. I have it in 4 cav and have done well with it out of two S&W M29's. For shorter ranges (25-50 yds )I use 9 grains of 4756 and for longer distances (50+) 18 grains of 4227. Neither slam me around but they group well. I had a machinist friend duplicate the nose section (only) of one of the castings (a plug), out of aluminum rod and I insert it regularly in one of the cavities (with a tweezer) while casting. So one out of four casts is a flat faced wadcutter that I seat fluch with the case mouth using 5.5-5.75 grains of Unique. (the longer barreled Smith likes the higher loading) Its a very accurate load for 25 yard practice and cuts clean sharp holes in the target. LLC

Dale53
05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks "Mr. Wolf" for your comments. I have a REAL good feeling about this mould (complete with handles, I might add[smilie=1:)...

Dale53

bushytail man
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM
If a H&Gs mould has the numbers 503.429, does the 429 refer to the minimum diameter of bullets produced by the mould or the specific diameter of bullets produced by the mould?

H&G site shows moulds in #503 w/diameter of 429/431. Trying to find out if the 503 in question will produce larger diameter bullets that can be sized to .430 for use in S&W 29.

Do the bullets produced in a 503 differ from a Lyman 429421?

I am new to casting, thanks for all information.

GabbyM
05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
If it's stamped .429 it will probalby drop a .430" bullet with Lyman #2.
Should work great at .430. If you've a Star sizer it may not be enough to seal back the lube preassure. but I'd not worry about that yet.
I've a #50 six cavity stamped .357 that drops .3578 to .3581 across the six holes. My 452 #130 goes a little over 453. But my H&G ten cavity #309 for 9mm stamped .356 drops at near .358.
All these moulds had many miles on them before they made their way to me.

Texasflyboy
05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
If a H&Gs mould has the numbers 503.429, does the 429 refer to the minimum diameter of bullets produced by the mould or the specific diameter of bullets produced by the mould?

H&G site shows moulds in #503 w/diameter of 429/431.

The reason the website shows .429/.431 is that any mould can and may have been made in a non-standard diameter according to customer needs and wants.

The rule for Hensley and Gibbs is that any mould stamped with only the mould number, you may assume that the as cast diameter is .001 over the normal groove size that is traditional for that caliber. Just the mould number, no "S" prefix or suffix, no serial number.

An excellent example of adherence to this rule are the innumerable #50's that are only stamped "50". Since the normal groove diameter of .38 Special/.357 magnum is .357, those moulds cast a .358" bullet with Lyman #2 mix. But, since Hensley & Gibbs also made #50's for use with Clark Custom conversion M1911's calibered in .38 special, those moulds were made to cast .356 with Lyman #2 mix, and are so marked - usually. I've always wondered if when Wayne Gibbs went to serial numbers in the late 1980s and ceased marking "S" (for special order) on moulds if he continued to stamp the #50 moulds for Clark custom conversions with ".356". A mould like that would have: 50, .356", and a serial number. I've never seen one.

The normal as cast diameter for .44 Special/Magnum would have been .429. But on occasion, Hensley & Gibbs would custom cut moulds to .430, .431, and even larger. Years ago there was a 4 cavity #107B on eBay that was stamped .433. Special order it seems. So that's why the list I have up on the site has multiple as cast sizes. Some moulds were special ordered in smaller or larger sizes.

Always remember context when dealing with Hensley & Gibbs moulds. The customer was king, and whatever the customer wanted, the customer got.

Tom in NC

LAH
05-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the board Bushytail Man.

Heads up Crew, I've spoken with the new guy a couple times by phone. He was looking to buy some Keith bullets to use in his 44 but since Dry Creek is kinda dry these days he wants to cast his own. Has his eye on a H&G mould but was wondering if it would cast large enough for his S&W. I own no H&G moulds nor know very little 'bout them so I sent him here to our H&G Pro..........Texasflyboy

bushytail man
05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks Lynn for all your help. I appreciate you kindness and patience with a new "student" trying to learn from the masters.

lawboy
05-18-2008, 03:50 AM
I have a 4-cavity #503. I don't recall casting with it yet as I have a good number of moulds that I have not yet used. It sure does look good though and I may get around to it this summer.