04-23-2016, 06:52 AM
Drone Finds Rattlesnake Nest

http://m.wimp.com/drone-finds-rattlesnake-nest/

w5pv
04-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Wow just wow

Teddy (punchie)
04-23-2016, 08:26 AM
Thanks for sharing, I think they should have had a longer handle. Not even sure I would have gone after it. That was a pile of trouble.

Ural Driver
04-23-2016, 08:40 AM
Lotta good eatin in that hole.......:redneck:

Blackwater
04-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Now THAT is a real gut-wrenching video! I've never been afraid of snakes, generally, and used to be the "Mr. Green Jeans" of my high school class, and used to catch and bring snakes to school for the science lab. Was never afraid of rattlers 'till I almost got bit - twice! Now, a scene like that video makes my skin crawl! Sometimes, I don't carry that much ammo with me!Can you imagine being bitten by just 3 or 4 of those? I think I'd die of the shock of just being bit! Sheesh! But thanks anyway. With warm weather coming on strong now here in the southeast, it's a good thing to renew my newfound fear of rattlers. Keeps me vigilant.

RogerDat
04-23-2016, 08:43 AM
That just made it into the top 10 reasons to have a heavy lift drone with a sky hook to recover your first drone if it goes down in a "hostile environment". Those cameras are expensive.

A longer stick may not really matter, rattlesnakes always line up and strike at the closest point to them when coiled. If you get the right distance from a rattle snake and extend a gun pointed at the snake it will line up right on the barrel, that being the thing closest to it that seems like part of the threat. However boots made of stove pipe would have been required to get close enough to that pile of snakes to use the hockey stick.

Rick Hodges
04-23-2016, 09:55 AM
That would have me running home screaming like a little girl....I'm afraid that drone would have just stayed there...those damn snakes could have it.

M-Tecs
04-23-2016, 10:30 AM
A vacation spot for the mother-in-law.

DCP
04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Hate to think what would happen to a dog or human that walked into that.

bullet maker 57
04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Not me. No way. enough said!

Paper Puncher
04-23-2016, 10:54 AM
I am with Rick, scratch one drone.

Mytmousemalibu
04-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Oh my! That's uh.... That's the stuff of nightmare's right there! I'm not to bothered by snakes, I just don't like surprise but that is any animal. I have heard they are tasty, I wouldn't mind trying a rattler nugget! Beyond dinner, let them be.

One heck of a find though!

John in WYO
04-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Prairie rattlers. They're kind of green tinted.
I've seen several while hunting in WY.
That's not where I'm gonna sit to call coyotes...

LynC2
04-23-2016, 11:17 AM
If one ever needed an excuse to own a flame thrower, I believe that might do it! Just WOW! :Fire:

Light attack
04-23-2016, 11:32 AM
"Snakes, Why is it always snakes?"

bedbugbilly
04-23-2016, 11:38 AM
All the more reason to be diligent when out walking! Boy . . . that was one nest that I wouldn't have wanted to be day dreaming and suddenly found myself in the middle of! Thanks for posting!

We're south of Tucson and it's been warm here so whenever I take the dogs for their walks, my eyes are scanning the ground and vegetation. The other morning about 6:30 I was out walking them and was concentrating so much on looking for snakes that I didn't see the three huge Javelenas that were roaming the street! One shot through an opening but the other two were looking me over as I was between them and the opening in the fence. Fortunately they took off the other direction, ran likety split down the street and finally found an opening into the desert. While I don't like the Javelenas, I'd rather run in to them than a rattler. I know there are those of the "tree hugging philosophy" that like rattlers but the only ones I've ever seen that I considered "good" were dead!

pressonregardless
04-23-2016, 01:49 PM
Looks to me that few rounds of # 8 shot would go a long way into cleaning up that den.

Hickory
04-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I stepped into a bunch once while trying to sneak up on some prairie dogs, it sure will unnerve a person for the rest of the day.

rondog
04-23-2016, 02:31 PM
I'm calling BS on the "drone" part. That wasn't shot from a flying drone, that was filmed with a GoPro on the end of a pole. A drone can't fly that close to the ground and through brush and weeds like that. Still pretty awesome footage though.

Hardcast416taylor
04-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Darn shame there wasn`t a remote controlled napalm cannister on that drone! I remember reading in Outdoor Life way back in the `60`s about 2 hikers that came across a mess of rattlers. They rounded up another 4 guys and with shotguns and a case of shotshells returned and used every shell they had. They returned a year later to see a small mountain of snake bones and shreds of skin.Robert

04-23-2016, 04:38 PM
.................. and some say there is no reason for a belt fed shotgun. Ha!

PaulG67
04-23-2016, 07:06 PM
I think I would have let the snakes keep it!!!!!!!!

MT Gianni
04-23-2016, 07:22 PM
I'm calling BS on the "drone" part. That wasn't shot from a flying drone, that was filmed with a GoPro on the end of a pole. A drone can't fly that close to the ground and through brush and weeds like that. Still pretty awesome footage though.
I agree and interpreted the words as "I lost my phone". This is a video by people who knew what was there and went to approach it. One thing about wearing shorts in rattlesnake country, the calf of your leg gives the same size target and heat glow as a cottontail it you are wearing socks. Most common place to get bit if you are walking and not trying to pick one up.
Keep on moving, nothing to see here but a bunch of snakes.

montana_charlie
04-24-2016, 01:04 PM
I'm calling BS on the "drone" part. That wasn't shot from a flying drone,
I agree.
When that first rattler struck at the lens, it would have put a flyer into the weeds before the 'pilot' could adjust to save it.
Then, there were several more hits, and some of them were quite hard.

rondog
04-24-2016, 02:56 PM
I agree and interpreted the words as "I lost my phone". This is a video by people who knew what was there and went to approach it. One thing about wearing shorts in rattlesnake country, the calf of your leg gives the same size target and heat glow as a cottontail it you are wearing socks. Most common place to get bit if you are walking and not trying to pick one up.
Keep on moving, nothing to see here but a bunch of snakes.

Yeah, you're probably right - more likely a phone on a selfie stick than a GoPro. I still contend it was NOT a flying "drone". NWIH.

But wouldn't a snake hunter just pee himself to find that many in one place? Be just like me finding piles of brass out at the club after carbine classes and competitions! I wouldn't mind hunting rattlesnakes if I knew how to market them. I grew up in western OK, I ain't skeered of 'em. Just gotta know how to spot 'em and stay outta reach. They're not as aggressive as other poisonous snakes or as fast.

MT Gianni
04-24-2016, 05:00 PM
I have seen one bigger nest ball when I was young and dumb but that is a big one. My experience was that they would hang together in colder weather and split off when it was warm something the young ladys' shorts would indicate that the temperature was. Used to watch eagles pick them off the lava cliffs and drop them from 80-100 feet then go get a tenderized meal.

MaryB
04-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Lot of hat bands there... and deep fried battered snake...

Hickok
04-25-2016, 05:01 PM
"Feet, don't fail me now!"

Smoke4320
04-25-2016, 05:10 PM
now where did I lay my cryo gun ??

starmac
04-26-2016, 12:25 AM
Years ago there was a place I belive at Stephensville Texas that bought rattle snakes to milk.
I always heard the Big Texan in Amarillo paid good money for them too.

leadman
04-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Last year I almost stepped on a rattling snake in the tall grass between the 2 tire tracks of a road. Found out I can no longer hear them. My son pulled me back just in time.
That increased my fear of snakes significantly!
I agree that might not have been a drone.

Smoke4320
04-26-2016, 01:23 PM
I say it WAS a drone carrying a selfie stick !!
Youngen's

CraigOK
04-26-2016, 03:36 PM
If one ever needed an excuse to own a flame thrower, I believe that might do it! Just WOW! :Fire:

Yes! Cool to see that many snakes together like that in nature

swheeler
04-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Looks like McBride Canyon between Fritch and Amarillo, that place was usually crawlin with em. Pun intended:-)