PDA

View Full Version : @#$%Shingles

rockrat
04-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Took a few days to hit, but doc said this morning it is Shingles. Had a kind of tender area close to my temple with a tiny bump this last weekend. Was wondering what caused it. Woke up Monday morning and jaw hurt on both sides and lymph nodes at the back of the jaw, were swollen. Figured I had some infection, thought it was one of the kids at grade school (wife is a sub. teacher and I brought her lunch Friday)had spread something around and I picked it up. Tuesday , the area was red and the bump quite a bit bigger. Had switched from a tylenol a day to Ibupropfen last Thursday, to give my liver a rest, figured it was maybe a reaction.

Wednesday, red and swollen and multiple bumps. Wondering if "Hives" as alot of trees are blooming, but also having a suspicion about Shingles. Wednesday night, put some "anbesol" gel on it to stop the itching. Doc closed on Thursdays , so , first thing this morning called the Doc and went in.

I had been to the Doc last Friday, about how I am doing on my "NEW DIET" (down 9 pounds, 91 to go--Christmas '17 goal) and talked to the receptionist about Shingles shots (hexed myself, I did!!).

Not too bad for a case of Shingles, about the size of a half dollar. Doc said it should go away within about 2 weeks using the antiviral he prescribed for me. And I probably won't need the shingles shot as I have active chicken pox virus in my system and my antibodies are building up again. More than likely I won't get Shingles again, but still a possibility.

William Yanda
04-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Durn Herpes Simplex! Try Absorbine Jr., or Campho-Phenique (SP), or oil of oregano. Gotta be careful with that stuff though, full strength it may burn. DAMHIKT

edler7
04-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Try 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar (used to bake cookies and such) in a glass of water. Drink it down. It will calm things down.

I know it sounds strange, but it works.

bangerjim
04-22-2016, 08:22 PM
Have a lot of freinds and relatives that have had it. Not fun at all. That is why I got a shingles shot a couple years ago. Free with my insurance. They say it helps.

Good luck and best wishes for quick recovery.

banger

garym1a2
04-22-2016, 08:58 PM
Shingles tore my mom up.She was down for months. After that I got the shingles shot even though insurance did not pay.

Markbo
04-22-2016, 09:11 PM
I turned 55 last year. I am gettingvtbat shot next doctor visit!

trapper9260
04-22-2016, 09:23 PM
I had gotten it some years ago and the doc gave me some pills to take and then about 2 weeks later it was gone . They ask if I would like the shot ,I ask will it stop me from getting it again they might not.So I just will not get the shot.

LaPoint
04-22-2016, 09:54 PM
I got them on my back and ribs about 5 yrs ago in the middle of the summer. I was very uncomfortable for several weeks as I had to wear a ballistic vest. The Dr. prescribed a good painkiller but I didn't take them when I was working. Probably wouldn't have been a good idea to be carrying firearm and operating a squad car under the influence of narcotics.

Hickory
04-22-2016, 10:11 PM
This is one of those miseries you'd like to wish on your non favorite democrats. X2.

bangerjim
04-22-2016, 10:13 PM
The shot will not prevent you getting it 100%. But any % NOT getting it is good in my book!

Boaz
04-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Got it about 8 years ago . Had never had it before . Covered my whole right foot top and bottom , couldn't walk on it and used crutches . Plenty tender and painful , got a shot and pills . It started drying up in a few days , all the hide peeled off . I was good to walk on it in about 10 days . Don't need another dose of it , get the shot .

phonejack
04-23-2016, 08:18 AM
My wife and I got the vaccine. Health insurance paid for it.

trapper9260
04-23-2016, 09:09 AM
The shingles make getting scabies and the mange a walk in the park.Because I gotten both of them and got ride of them in about 3 days .Mange from a coyote that did not show sign of have it and the scabies from when I was in the hospital getting a hip replacement and someone on the staff had it and past it on to me ,The hospital sent me a letter about it and if I where to get it to see my doctor.But after I seen my surgen that gave me the hip replacement about what it was.I told him that is a easy one to get ride of, since it is about the same as the mange.I got it 2 days after see him.

Big Boomer
04-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Old doc I used to go to (now retired) said shingles shot was only effective in @ 50% or less among those receiving it and did not recommend it so I never got the shot. Got the shingles in May of 2014 and then again in December of same year. Biggest difficulty was the steroids he put me on. Couldn't sleep when I took the steroids. The anti-viral med was no problem. I have heard some people say steroids "make everything right and you feel super good!" Never made anything right for me but the shingles finally went away for all of 2015 and 2016 so far. Old doc said they can continue to return with some people. With me it was just a 2" or so purple blotch on my right-front side just above the belt line. Big Boomer

dale2242
04-24-2016, 08:58 AM
My shingles were on the right side of my neck and shoulder.
I did not get the shot. Mine lasted for 3 months.
I think I have a good tolerance for pain.
I have had my appendices burst and have had my leg broken by a log.
I would rather have them both at once than suffer the pain of shingles.
If you`ve had chicken pox get the shot......dale

500MAG
04-24-2016, 09:21 AM
As a Pharmacist, I counsel patients daily about the shingles vaccine (Zostavax). While it doesn't prevent shingles by 100%, it does help prevent the occurrence of post herpetic neuralgia which is the pain associated with shingles and can last for years to the rest of your life. This pain is many times described as 9-10 on a 1 to 10 pain scale. In other words, you don't want it.

blackthorn
04-24-2016, 09:56 AM
As a Pharmacist, I counsel patients daily about the shingles vaccine (Zostavax). While it doesn't prevent shingles by 100%, it does help prevent the occurrence of post herpetic neuralgia which is the pain associated with shingles and can last for years to the rest of your life. This pain is many times described as 9-10 on a 1 to 10 pain scale. In other words, you don't want it.

^^^^^+1! I had a friend that got shingles and he spent the last 5 years of his life in constant pain. Both my wife and I got the shot as soon as we could, even though we had to pay for it ourselves. Shingles is nothing you want to down-play. It can happen to you.

jcwit
04-24-2016, 10:57 AM
There was a local man here who ended the pain from shingles. Bullet to the temple!

crappie-hunter
04-24-2016, 11:11 AM
An infectious disease Dr. put me on Valtrex (spelling) I take one 500mg tablet every other day. No more visible outbreaks but sometimes do get some milder pain caused by by the shingles virus. Has made my life tolerable.