PDA

View Full Version : Casting for lever guns - chamber / bore cast

45coltnut
04-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Hello fellow casters,

I've recently purchased a new to me 45-70 levergun that I want to dedicate as a cast only gun. But, I think remember hearing that some chambers can be tight for wide flat nose boolits.

Can I do some type of chamber cast that will kill two birds with one stone (chamber and bore)? Can anyone point me to any methods for the chamber casting process? I'm just curious how this works without getting the casting material all in the action or completely in the barrel. I also want to do this in my 1885 hi wall, as I hope to use the same mold for both.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scharfschuetze
04-22-2016, 11:49 AM
I've never had an issue like this with three different JM Marlin 45/70 1895 rifles that I've loaded for. I can't comment on the Winchester 1886 rifles or the current Remlins though. I usually load .459 or .460 diameter boolits in my current JM Marlin as well as original and replica Trapdoor rifles.

Why not just make up a few dummy rounds with your chosen diameter of boolit and see if they chamber. If they do, you're good to go. If not, start sizing down till they do fit. Should work and if you don't crimp 'em, they'll be easy to break down with an inertia type bullet puller.

Tom Myers
04-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Hello fellow casters,

I've recently purchased a new to me 45-70 levergun that I want to dedicate as a cast only gun. But, I think remember hearing that some chambers can be tight for wide flat nose boolits.

Can I do some type of chamber cast that will kill two birds with one stone (chamber and bore)? Can anyone point me to any methods for the chamber casting process? I'm just curious how this works without getting the casting material all in the action or completely in the barrel. I also want to do this in my 1885 hi wall, as I hope to use the same mold for both.

Thanks for the assistance in advance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Chamber Impact Impression (http://www.tmtpages.com/draw/UltimateHelp/hs40.htm) method is not a chamber cast but it is a means to get the needed chamber dimensions without the mess of a chamber cast.

The process is detailed in the help files for the Cast Bullet Design ~ Ultimate (http://tmtpages.com/#ultimate)software

Hope this helps.

45coltnut
04-22-2016, 09:58 PM
I've never had an issue like this with three different JM Marlin 45/70 1895 rifles that I've loaded for. I can't comment on the Winchester 1886 rifles or the current Remlins though. I usually load .459 or .460 diameter boolits in my current JM Marlin as well as original and replica Trapdoor rifles.

Why not just make up a few dummy rounds with your chosen diameter of boolit and see if they chamber. If they do, you're good to go. If not, start sizing down till they do fit. Should work and if you don't crimp 'em, they'll be easy to break down with an inertia type bullet puller.

Thanks for the info. I'll know more on Monday after the gun arrives. I currently have a NOE 360-405 mold with all the pins. So, I'll try these out in the lever gun. But, I'm thinking about ordering another mold from Tom at Accurate with a wider flat nose. This is what I was concerned with before ordering a new mold. Maybe all be ok.

runfiverun
04-23-2016, 01:25 AM
Tom just gave you some real good advice. :lol:
impact slugging a gun is also described here in a good sticky by Goodsteel.

Shiloh
04-23-2016, 12:58 PM
the Lyman 31141 works fine for my sons .30/30 rifle.

Shiloh