PDA

View Full Version : Novice caster thinking of upgrading to Lee 6-cav moulds

xsquidgator
05-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Like the title says. I've been casting for about 6 months (really like it by the way) with a collection of Lee 2-cav moulds. Couple of questions for you guys with experience...

Question1: I ladle cast, will I get a nice increase in hourly production rate from buying a 6-cavity mould? (ie- do you HAVE to have a bottom pour pot to make a 6 cav work well?)

Question 2: For 45ACP I've been using the Lee TL452-230-2R (the funny round nose with sort of a shoulder due to the shape once the boolits are loaded). Do the 230TC (tumble lube-able) boolits work well for ya'll?
I did a search and it looks like people have had mixed experiences. I'm not looking for match grade accuracy, but rather for better feeding reliability in a 1911. My GI model SA1911-A1 doesn't seem to care as much for the Lee tumble lube round noses as it does conventional round noses. I'd like to give the TC boolits a try but of course it'll cost more to try them with a 6-cav mould, if it turns out I don't like 'em as well.

So, do you think I should some 6-cav moulds with a ladle casting setup, and would you suggest the Lee 230RN or the 230TC if/when I do?

mooman76
05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I ladle pour in the 6 cavity moulds. Yes you will increase production allot with the 6x. You will probubly need a bigger ladle unless you already have a big one. I can't really comment on the TC mould you are talking about other than I would think it would work well. I had trouble with the Lee TL SWC in my 1911 but I think if I had worked with it some more and polished my feed ramp I moight have worked it out. I mover to the 230g RN you are talking about and fixed the problem easy.

HeavyMetal
05-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Yep your gonna need a ladle big enough to hold a "full charge" of alloy for your six banger. This is where a sprue plate slot, ala the old H&G molds, would be nice on the Lee's.

As to ladle size? bear in mind your dealing with 6 230 gr boolits and the sprue on top of the mold!
I would think you'll need to figure as much lead on top as inside so were talking 2,760 grains, about 6 ounce's of lead here!

I have no idea where you'd find a bottom pour ladle in this size, used to be a company called Rowell?? that made bottom pour ladles in a bunch of different sizes for the casting industry.

Try a google search. by the way come Xmas you'll find opening those walnuts won't nearly be as hard as it used to be.

45nut
05-10-2008, 10:59 AM
http://www.advancecarmover.com/ladle.html

there ya go.

mcassill6933
05-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I use a #2 Rowell ladle with a grand old H&G 6-cavity #68, with excellent results. For smaller bullets the #1 seems to work fine. My Kimber feeds just fine with #68s (200 gr semi-wadcutter for the uninitiated); the trick was getting the OAL out long enough. :drinks:
Mark

xsquidgator
05-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info gents. Once I locate a place that has them in stock I'll be getting a couple of the Lee 6-cavs and an oversize ladle. Yesterday pushed me over the edge, I spent all afternoon casting with my double cavity moulds and made maybe 1000 boolits. Gotta step it up.