PDA

View Full Version : Colt Anaconda problem

Pb Burner
04-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Hello everyone!
My brother and I inherited a few guns from our uncle who passed a few years ago. Our family is very small, he was our last uncle, so these guns are very special to us.
One of them is a Colt Anaconda that appears to be in very good condition(like new). I'm sure he had shot it very little, but he had fired it. He had told my brother he had bought it new. We got it in the Colt factory case with the owners manual.
We shot it yesterday. It wasn't hitting to point of aim so we adjusted rear sight. We had to run the sight blade to the maximum adjustment to get it to hit to point of aim, but after a few more rounds, it was off again.
We got to looking close and where the ejector shroud touches the front of the frame, the shroud was not centered with the frame. My brother took ahold of the barrel, and turned it! Barrel can be turned back and forth by hand, fairly easily. Needless to say we didn't shoot it any more after seeing that.
I called Colt customer service and they told me year of manufacture(I asked, 1992),and said that the barrel needs re-indexed. Said we would need to send it to them, BUT, right now they aren't accepting any double actions for repair work due to backlog of work,(until June). Also, we would have to pay for repair as the gun was made before 96. He said a good, reputable gunsmith could do the job.
I am looking for suggestions and/or advice. Maybe some one can recommend a gunsmith for this job.
I don't want to hand this revolver over to just anybody, it means too much to us. There's only one REALLY good smith here, that I have any experience with, and he doesn't do stuff like this that I know of(Wayne Novak). There's a couple more, but I have no experience with them and prefer not to find out the hard way that they are not very good, especially with this gun!
Anybody have any advice or recommendations of who we could send this gun to for professional repair done right? I hate to even let it out of our hands, but, what else can we do? We are both shooters, and want to shoot it.

Quickdraw4u
04-21-2016, 03:08 PM
Try Roy's Gun Service in Adairsville, GA. He has done a lot of work for me on revolvers and is excellent and very reasonable on pricing.
Roy King
77 King Road, SW
Adairsville, GA 30103

(770) 773-3548

toallmy
04-21-2016, 03:17 PM
Save this

dubber123
04-22-2016, 07:26 AM
I would remove the barrel if it threads all the way out, clean the threads very well on both sides. Slather on some Red Loctite, thread it in re-indexing to as straight up as you can get it. Let it sit a few days or a week. I did this to a basket case Luger years ago, and it hasn't moved yet. You can loosen the Loctite with moderate heat later if it ever needs to be.

Duckiller
04-22-2016, 02:53 PM
What are you doing shooting this gun? Do you have any idea what an as new Anaconda is worth? Wait until June or July and have Colt fix it. Then put it away. On the anniversary of your uncle's birth you and your brother should put on linen gloves and take out the anaconda to play with it, not shoot it. I have a really nice near new Python that my sons and I have stopped shooting because its price got absurd and we have other 357s to shoot. Grandchildren may get to sell it to support their retirement if the Government doesn't steal it first.

dubber123
04-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Anacondas may now be worth a lot, but that doesn't mean they were the finest Colt ever made. I'd fix it and shoot the snot out of it if that made you happy.

CLAYPOOL
04-22-2016, 11:58 PM
I bought mine when it was inment BILL CLINTON was going in. It had been shot 4 times and had a issue in the lock work. I sent it back in then and also had the factory ship it over to Mag n Port and have then port it. Got the factory papers some where. I took it and placed it in a lock box. To pricy to risk. kids can sell or enjoy. It is very nice, BUT NOT a Dan Wesson. PERIOD

hollywood63
04-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Shoodit lizbeth

toallmy
04-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Tell em Troy , shoot it Liz

2ndAmendmentNut
04-23-2016, 09:17 AM
I would send it to Ford's Custom in FL.

44man
04-23-2016, 09:20 AM
Shooting a gun has never hurt it unless you erode throats on hot rifles. Some very expensive old shotguns worth a fortune have a million rounds.
It is how the gun is cared for, no rust pits or holster wear. Any gun behind glass is worthless and all those with gold inlays are a joke.
To make money and an investment on a gun means you will be dead a few hundred years.

runfiverun
04-23-2016, 10:58 AM
ifi it don't work and you ain't gonna shoot it then it don't matter.
why bother fixing it.
your just spending money at that point.
let the guy that pay's the big money for it get it fixed.

44man
04-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Like spending $2000 for old brandy, good for two days here. Still just brandy!
Yeah, snake guns can be worth a lot but it is the name, not how good the gun is. Colt held back with the .44 for too long and did not make a great gun in the end. Glue the barrel in and shoot it.

Pb Burner
04-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Hello again,
My brother and I haven't got to talk in detail about what we plan on doing to fix this problem yet. We will discuss the different suggestions offered on fixing this revolver. It just might end up going back to Colt.
The way I see it, we will not "realize" the higher dollar value of this gun.....unless we sell it. We both already agreed we are not getting rid of it.
We probably won't "shoot the snot" out of it, but it will be fired and enjoyed by both of us. It will also be handled, cleaned and lubed with care.
I'm concerned if we use the Loctite to "glue" the barrel we may not get it centered or as straight as it should or could be.(but we will examine it closer and discuss possibly trying it.) We haven't tried to see if it will unscrew very far by hand, at least not yet. Maybe when we get a chance to get together again.
I plan on contacting the gunsmiths recommended to at least get a feel for the cost of getting it done right.
By the way, Just a few questions...
What is involved in re-indexing a barrel?
If just tightened as much as can be done without ant special tools, will the front sight be centered?
What about cylinder to barrel gap? How much gap should there be?
Like stated before, it looks "like new", but it has for sure been fired, even before we got it, but most likely a very low round count.
It will not be sold(we've got children and grandchildren to pass it on to), and we will on occasion put a box of boolits thru it, and the Marlin 1894/44mag that came with it.
Any one else have a good revolver smith they could recommend?
If anyone has anymore thoughts or suggestion on this, please post them!
Thanks to all that replied!

DougGuy
04-23-2016, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure I would loctite it even though that would work. Colt might be the way to go with it although it sounds expensive and time consuming may be the best shot in the long run to fix it and fix it right. On the other hand, sometimes their QC is really lacking and you may send it to them for them to take a long time and charge a LOT of money to do a job that a really good smith could have done better. It's hit or miss it seems.

I would NOT SHOOT this gun with the barrel loose, it may damage it beyond repair if it galls or spalls the threads in the frame.

I am not going to suggest either way but I will list some smiths that are worth calling and asking about this. I think the more you ask around the proper thing to do with it will soon enough come to you.

Starting with John Linebaugh, SUPER nice guy, he is too busy with his big bore conversions to take it in, but he is VERY knowledgeable and might have some good insight and I would value his opinion highly, just run it by him and see what he says, either call or email.

John Linebaugh - Linebaugh Custom Sixguns
Phone: 307-645-3332
P.O. Box 455
Cody, WY 82414
www.customsixguns.com/index.htm (http://www.customsixguns.com/index.htm)

David Clements - Clements Custom Guns
276-238-8761
2766 Mt. Zion Rd.
Woodlawn, VA 24381
bigbore51@yahoo.com
www.clementscustomguns.com/ (http://www.clementscustomguns.com/)

Cylinder and Slide
245 E. 4th Street
Fremont, NE 68025
Phone: (402) 721-4277
Fax: (402) 721-0263
Orders Only: (800) 448-1713
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

John Gallagher - Gallagher Firearms Inc.
(205)384-5229
3923 Bird Farm Road
Jasper, Alabama 35503
johngallagher1@bellsouth.net
closed website: www.gallagherfirearms.com (http://www.gallagherfirearms.com)

dubber123
04-24-2016, 07:01 AM
I was concerned about getting the Luger barrel I LocTited correctly indicated too, possibly moreso than you, as the Luger is essentially a fixed sight pistol. If you do decide to fix it yourselves, and the barrel unthreads freely, you could see if room exists for a wrap of Teflon plumbers tape. This if done right will secure the barrel enough to determine the best "clocking" for your rear sight to be centered. You could then put a small, easily removed Sharpie mark on the barrel and frame that shows you where to realign when you Loctite it in.

I did this on the Luger, and it shot perfectly for windage afterwards. As far as just tightening it all the way in, maybe. It's possible it just didn't get torqued correctly at the factory, but I doubt it. My guess is by the time you got it tight enough to hold, it would be past where you would want it. You also need the correct tool, both barrel wrenches and vises to properly tighten a revolver barrel, it is easy to ruin one. If this is the case, properly indexing it will involve milling off a portion of the barrel shoulder that contacts the frame, and possibly the barrel stub/forcing cone area that faces the cylinder to get correct orientation when torqued in properly. This is also one reason why I suggested my method, as you don't have to wrench on anything, risking damage. The barrel cylinder gap will probably range from .004" (good), to .009" (not so good, but within standards).

If you don't fix it yourself, I would recommend one of the good gunsmiths posters suggested. Colt screwed it up the first time, sometimes they don't get it right the second time either.

MtGun44
04-24-2016, 10:35 PM
What dubber said.

Unscrew, clean, install with Red Loctite. My gunsmith does this for my Smiths if they have a thread
constriction, works perfectly.

Bill

TXSlade
04-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Just wait and send it to Colt, I can get you in touch with their custom shop manager when the time comes, he's a good guy and will make sure it's done right. Or, their is a couple of former Colt wheelmen guys I could dig through my stuff to find their numbers. The Anaconda was my least fav snake, I owned a few, and own zero now, that kind of says something. I still have Pythons etc. If I had one, and was attached, refused to sell, I would be careful who touched the barrel. I've had a couple that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.
Just PM me if you seriously want that info, it will take some digging.

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Duckiller,

stick to killing ducks.

This handgun has value to these gentlemen because of a family member owning it, not any other notion.

I still shoot my Great Grandfather's Bisley, and my own custom engraved SAA with my initials for a SN.

Enjoy them...

44man
04-25-2016, 09:05 AM
That is the important consideration. Why it should be put back in good service.
I have many guns and when I am gone, Carol will sell them and everyone I know has dibs on each. I want them to get the info, dies, molds and everything else for each gun. I know each will be put to use and they will at least think of me.
I might have to haunt them and tell them, HEY, DIP, go back and get THIS too.

smkummer
04-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Did Colt say re indexing or re-qualify? It a barrel goes past about 10;30-11:00 oclock with hand tightening only, then the rear of the shoulder can be milled off and the forcing cone can be shorten until it will tighten correctly going in another whole turn. They will also cut the correct forcing cone angle. Colt has the tools and knowledge to do it. Of course this should have never left the factory but it happened. Wait and have it repaired correctly. That is what I would do.

Mal Paso
04-25-2016, 10:30 PM
The barrel just screws in so it wouldn't be rocket science to take it apart, clean the threads and screw it together to see how it fits. Check how the barrel lines up as it snugs down. Check the cylinder gap with regular feeler gauges. .004"-.007". Check the threads, barrel should rotate as you screw it in, no wiggle side to side.

Colt did a lot right with the Anaconda. I picked one up and after feeling the trigger and the way the cylinder closed, couldn't put it down. The reason I was able to snag it and why it looked new was it wouldn't shoot 6 rounds without the cylinder tying up with powder residue, gap was too tight. Fixed that. The bore is like a mirror, no tooling marks but it slugs .430". Those factory combat grips are the worst. The two rubber halves meet in the middle of the backstrap, on a Magnum, Really? I'm sure those grips alone unsold a lot of Anacondas.

44man
04-27-2016, 09:42 AM
The barrel just screws in so it wouldn't be rocket science to take it apart, clean the threads and screw it together to see how it fits. Check how the barrel lines up as it snugs down. Check the cylinder gap with regular feeler gauges. .004"-.007". Check the threads, barrel should rotate as you screw it in, no wiggle side to side.

Colt did a lot right with the Anaconda. I picked one up and after feeling the trigger and the way the cylinder closed, couldn't put it down. The reason I was able to snag it and why it looked new was it wouldn't shoot 6 rounds without the cylinder tying up with powder residue, gap was too tight. Fixed that. The bore is like a mirror, no tooling marks but it slugs .430". Those factory combat grips are the worst. The two rubber halves meet in the middle of the backstrap, on a Magnum, Really? I'm sure those grips alone unsold a lot of Anacondas.
You confuse me with the gap and residue. Or was it boolit pull? Or a cylinder face that hit the barrel because it was not true.

Pb Burner
04-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Hello again,
The guy at Colt said it would need re-indexed.
What is re-qualify?
BUT, things went from not good, to really bad as far as this Anaconda.
I did as suggested and tried to unscrew the barrel by hand. It unscrewed easily once started, which wasn't hard to do. After removing the barrel, I glanced at the threads in the frame,,,, what is that mark on the frame??? Oh no, a small crack about 1/8" long at 6 o'clock in the barrel hole/opening. Crack starts at front of frame goes back into the threads maybe 4-5 threads. Was hard in low light to be sure it was really a crack, so I took a pic with cell phone, then zoomed in on the picture and then there was no doubt.
I called Dave Clements and explained the issue, asked if it could be repaired. Dave said it probably could, but not by him.
A call to Cylinder and Slide resulted in basically the same reply.
Dave did give me a number to a friend of his that specializes in welding and does lots of work on guns, Dave says he's very knowledgeable and has done work for him. I might give him a call next week.
So right now it doesn't look good for this heirloom to be a shooter. May just end up in a shadowbox on the wall. One of those "high dollar" wall hangers.
Any one have any suggestions...?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help so far, at least I've learned a few things.
I'm really bummed right now...such a good looking revolver....

44man
04-27-2016, 12:23 PM
OH HELL, a cracked frame. Nothing can be done. If Colt does not replace the gun you have scrap metal. No wonder the barrel was loose.

dubber123
04-27-2016, 04:09 PM
You have nothing in it, and it has sentimental value, I'd personally put some money into repairing it. After the repair I would shoot a cylinder and inspect, repeat a few times until you were comfortable it was permanent. If it ever begins to go again, a retirement to the shadow box might be best. They can fix a lot when it comes to welding, but it's not a job for Bubba either.

I'm sorry, but don't give up hope yet.

Mal Paso
04-28-2016, 12:18 AM
You confuse me with the gap and residue. Or was it boolit pull? Or a cylinder face that hit the barrel because it was not true.

The end of the barrel was too close to the cylinder and not square with the high point on the right hand side. The cylinder turns to the right delivering debris to the choke point. Factory or handloads did not matter, after 2 to 4 rounds the cylinder drag ended shooting. Cylinder fit was tight as well and I stoned a .001" from the standing breech and squared the barrel. It was about .002" high on the right, very tight on a .004" feeler gauge.

Seems simple looking back but for a few days I thought I wasted $925. The fact I bought it for under a grand from that gun shop told me they knew something was wrong. It looked like a brand new gun. I think both of us got a good deal. :-P

Good luck Pb Burner!

Pb Burner
04-28-2016, 08:48 AM
If we could get Colt to replace the gun it would be great, but the it wouldn't be Uncle's old revolver. If the Anaconda was still in production that might still be an option, but how could they replace it?
Maybe if we could find a frame somewhere it could be "partially" Uncle's revolver. I'd bet used Anaconda frames are scarce, but will be looking.
Dave Clements gave me info on the welder/gun fellow. I'll give him a call next week I guess.
Packing up the truck right now to head out of town for a 4 day camping trip with daughter and granddaughter, a music festival.
If anyone has any thoughts on who could repair this revolver, please post!
Thanks again,
Burner

44man
04-28-2016, 09:36 AM
The end of the barrel was too close to the cylinder and not square with the high point on the right hand side. The cylinder turns to the right delivering debris to the choke point. Factory or handloads did not matter, after 2 to 4 rounds the cylinder drag ended shooting. Cylinder fit was tight as well and I stoned a .001" from the standing breech and squared the barrel. It was about .002" high on the right, very tight on a .004" feeler gauge.

Seems simple looking back but for a few days I thought I wasted $925. The fact I bought it for under a grand from that gun shop told me they knew something was wrong. It looked like a brand new gun. I think both of us got a good deal. :-P

Good luck Pb Burner!
Good fix. I wondered because I had DW revolvers that had cylinder fronts that wobbled. Set the gap and gun would lock up when trying to cock it.

TXSlade
04-28-2016, 11:30 AM
If Grant Cunningham would take work from people he didn't know, I would say try him, but time has worn on his hands. He pretty much only works on friends guns now, and stuck mainly with early Colts.

He highly recommends Frank Glenn. And to be honest, if Grant Cunningham tells me to go to Frank Glenn for my Python, that is were I am going. If Frank can't or won't, he will be your best source for who possibly could. Yes, I know this is an Anaconda, not a Python, but if the guy can repair Pythons, the Anaconda should be in his wheelhouse.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Personally at this point I would get on Colts waiting list and see if they will make this right. Though, not sure what they can do for a gun that has been long out of production. An anaconda with a cracked frame even if repaired to shooter level will never be worth much. I like the shadow box idea and would put the repair money towards a nice pre lock S&W 29 or 629 which are better 44s than any Anaconda ever will be imho.

MakeMineLead
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't trust a cracked frame gun to be repaired. I would like to know if Colt even had any spare frames in storage.

Geraldo
04-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Colt had crappy CS when they were building Anacondas, I wouldn't expect anything more now. In fact, I'd ask specifically about the frame before sending it in. They might not want to return it in any condition.

Mal Paso
04-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Good fix. I wondered because I had DW revolvers that had cylinder fronts that wobbled. Set the gap and gun would lock up when trying to cock it.

I'd love to find a good Dan Wesson. Or if Smith would make a 44 with some meat. :-P

The Anaconda's firing pin protrusion was wrong when I got it and mainspring too light leading to misfires. Cylinder throats were smaller than the groove. And the Combat Grips had to go. Colt got it most of the way there though. I think the guys complaining expected a finished gun, when has that ever happened? :bigsmyl2:

If you want a DA 44Mag heavier than S&W with a Fine Trigger there aren't many places to go. However my Anaconda started life it's a custom gun now, dead nuts accurate and reliable.

44man
05-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Colt made some fine guns but never advanced and stuck to old ideas. They could not compete. But the amount of money for any gun killed them a few times. Ruger made the SA work. Freedom had a better idea and failed with only a 5 shot with 6 chambers. Still better and stronger then a Colt.
What would you buy today? A SBH or SRH or freedom or BFR?
Even every Colt clone is a low pressure gun. An Anaconda is not a SRH or a S&W 29.Sales did not come so it failed.

sarge901
05-07-2016, 02:47 AM
I've owned several of the snake family of guns. I had a really nice snub Python when I first became a LEO and I thought that I ought to put it away and carry something less expensive. Our department Armorer told me that once a gun has been fired- there's no difference in shooting fifty rounds through it or five hundred- it's been shot. I figure that they were built to enjoy and use. If it lives at my house- it has to work for a living.

Duckiller
05-07-2016, 04:59 PM
sarge901 I would question your departmental Armorer's knowledge. Factories test fire gun and then sell them as new. Firing one round through a gun it can be listed as test fired only. A big difference between that and 500 rounds.

Geezer in NH
05-07-2016, 06:42 PM
sarge901 I would question your departmental Armorer's knowledge. Factories test fire gun and then sell them as new. Firing one round through a gun it can be listed as test fired only. A big difference between that and 500 rounds.Once there is a mark on the cylinder for more than 1-2 cylinders it is a spun gun and has been shot. Ask any SAA collector!!