PDA

View Full Version : Witnessing ?

Boaz
04-20-2016, 06:02 AM
Do we witness enough ? I don't see it being practiced hardly at all away from church and even there not as much as it once was . Shouldn't our daily lives require it ? I was taught to express my belief and love of Christ as a child .

It seems out of fashion now to a great extent . Correct me if I'm wrong but the social norm of this time requires that personal exchange of any profession/admission of belief or personal conviction is off limits . People are afraid , paranoid , scared , non trusting ?

Preacher Jim
04-20-2016, 06:12 AM
The question is do we believe Jesus? He said, You shall be my witnesses (my paraphrase) everywhere you go. So it should be my normal function as a believer to be sharing my testimony of what Christ does for me.
LORD, make willing to stand, talk, walk for you in spite of the political correct society I live in because it got that way because we weren't witnessing.

Boaz
04-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Thank you Jim .

Boaz
04-20-2016, 06:32 AM
I may be corrected here but are we not witnessing to one another ? Are we having an effect ? Do you feel safe here talking/ encouraging/ praying/confessing/counseling/expressing /helping/ etc ? This is a 'safe' place for us . I use it to prepare for ...........out there .

Pine Baron
04-20-2016, 09:12 AM
I may be corrected here but are we not witnessing to one another ? Are we having an effect ? Do you feel safe here talking/ encouraging/ praying/confessing/counseling/expressing /helping/ etc ? This is a 'safe' place for us . I use it to prepare for ...........out there .
Yes we are most assuredly witnessing to one another, praise Jesus. As to having an effect, I think we are, but that is not up to us. We can only live the example. It's up to each individual to recognize and relate and act. And absolutely, this is a "safe" place. I consider it a "rest" stop, an "R and R" between engagements, so to speak. May God continue to Bless us and guide us, in Jesus name. Amen

Preacher Jim
04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
yes we are strenthening one another by sharing and praying. we are all children of our Father in heaven helping one another through another day. Praise the Lord for the help.

buckwheatpaul
04-20-2016, 04:56 PM

Seems like we are witnessing, ministering, more and more as the number prayer requests go up.....prayers, helping others in need and using our talents in God's name is as good as it gets.....

Blackwater
04-20-2016, 06:39 PM
You know, Boaz, you really know how to ask some difficult and thorny questions, sometimes. Thanks. Those are the ones that make us think the most and deepest. FWIW, here's my take on it:

I think prosteletyzing, as it's come to usually be done, probably does about as much harm as it does good. No, that's not always true, by ANY means, but that's why I said this is really a pretty thorny question. The expected answer is generally "We can never witness enough," and certainly there's truth in that as well. These are two of the reasons that I've come to conclude - so far at least - that it's really our lives that should be our testimony - our attitudes, words, deeds, manner of expression, whatever we can exert some control over in a Godly way. I've long noted that people present themselves, generally, in manners they often aren't aware of.

But this is just the first step in the process. The rest is about preparing ourselves to deliver a good and effective testimony, and that can vary widely depending on who it is we're talking to. Some people expect us to be "holier than thou" and to talk down to them. When you don't do that, they're usually impressed, especially if you have enough sense of humor to take any provocations lightly and light heartedly and good naturedly. Don't take offense at your faith being questioned. After all, that's why you're THERE, isn't it? Because they don't yet have it?

This is really crucial if you want them to respond favorably. And just be as casual and good natured and open as you can. When they ask a hard question, like what YOU think about hypocrites, don't hedge or hem and haw. Tell them what you think, and why. Let them know what the Lord has said about them, and don't try to defend those church goers who sin, even habitually. And we all know some like that.

But also, don't let them paint ALL Christians with too wide a brush, either! When they talk about hypocrites, smile, and let them know that sure, there ARE those like that, but there are many others who aren't like that at all, and are humble, and in their own struggle to ascertain God's will for them.

Never make excuses when a non-Christian cites some failing of individual or collective "Christians," and let them know that seeking Christ is an individual pursuit, and it's not the same for any two of us, and that it's a search, not a destination, and we all do indeed err, and have to re-correct ourselves periodically and regularly because we don't cease being human, and are never immune from temptations life always offers.

But let them know that in NO way affects the divinity of the One we worship, because He truly IS perfect, unlike us, his simple creations. And let them know the greatest gift any of us will ever receive is the forgiveness that is so freely and consistently offered to all of us. Nobody is left out, and nobody is looked down upon by Christ, even if some who call themselves by His name might indeed do that, against His instructions.

Mostly, witnessing is something the unbelievers observe in most of us for a long time, and only finally inquire IF and WHEN they find something within them moving them to ask. This can come at any time in their lives, and for any number of reasons, or from any number of events. But when someone shows an interest, just talk to them like you would to anyone about anything, and show the depth and sincerity of your belief.

It's been said that more is "caught" than "taught" by kids from their parents in the child rearing years. I believe that 100%. The EXAMPLE we set, and the demeanor we show on a daily basis, and how we handle serious matters, has a HUGE impact on the kind of results we get.

If you're spouting cynicism all the time, nobody is gonna' take your faith very seriously, because they KNOW that if you had REAL faith, you couldn't be cynical. Similarly, if you have a weakness, say for the opposite sex, alcohol, drugs, etc., they may ACT like they accept your excuses, but you're really not gonna' get them very far along the path toward becoming real Christians.

And after you're successful bringing someone to Christ, the job's FAR from over! Just start talking to them in normal conversations, as PART of your conversations, how they're doing with their newfound faith. If they say "horrible," just laugh, and say "me too, and I've been at it for XX years!" Just mainly keep them at ease.

Remember, it's a scary thing at first, to realize there's something MUCH bigger than you acting within you, and without your own will being in total control! Conversion really IS frightening, at least in part, to the newbie to faith. Don't turn them away. Many who have little besides a few Bible verses and their own fears about not being really capable of witnessing well, are better at running people away from belief than they are at helping instill it in new initiates.

In short, just talk to them openly, honestly, and with some knowledge of what they truly need to do to be saved, and that's pretty simple. "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Other than that, it's mostly whatever's going on in their lives and within their own psyches that leads them to hear that knock at the door that Jesus spoke of. But many have to have the courage to answer it, and that's mostly what they're looking for.

That's my take on it, and I have no corner on the market at all in answering this thorny question. That's just all I can offer at this stage in my development, and I've seen people who are SO much better at this than I am. Billy Graham had that look in his eye, and that special tembre in his voice, that I think was instrumental in his having led so many to Christ. Nobody came to his events except those who already had faith, or those who were looking for it, and he very expertly led them across the threshold. Most of us are a lot less adept at it than people like Billy, and some others.

One more thing, if you can get the ones who read to read G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis, that's a real plus. If they're the scientific and existential type, try Hugh Ross's "Why the Universe is the Way it Is," and his "Beyond the Cosmos," and "The Science of God" by Gerald L. Shroeder. Schroeder's book might likely be best for those who just try to use science and existentialism to try to fend off belief, at least tentatively at first. I've found a smile and mild chuckle, along with words like "I'm no scientist, but I can tell you where to find the answer from one who is," and cite your book. Or just hand them a copy of yours and tell them you'll be back in a couple of weeks to answer any questions they have. Then follow up.

Mostly, it's different with everyone you meet, and you primarily just have to figure out what it is they might most likely respond to simply by paying attention to what their "hot buttons" seem to be. Without good observational skills, you're just guessing, and even if you ARE a good observer, you'll be wrong at times. Then, don't act like you just got caught naked, but slough it off with a smile and keep going. Good humor and sincerity will persevere and win a LOT more friends than haughtiness of ANY kind, or "hellfire and damnation" sermons, which are VERY out of place. Almost nobody is ever brought to Christ by those hellfire and damnation speeches/sermons. They don't want to be judged. They just need to be prepared for the judgment, by people who genuinely MEAN that smile they wear, and the words we speak. Genuineness is something there's really no substitute for, and that probably goes for any endeavor.

And that's all I know about that, as Forrest Gump might say.

Boaz
04-20-2016, 10:20 PM
In my late 20's I belonged to a large church (member for 42 years).There were always many visitors . Cards were in holders on back of the pews asking if they would like to have someone visit them in there home (where they are more comfortable) . Most members didn't like to visit , very time consuming and success rate was low . Usually two members would be involved in the visitation . My methodology was to be simple and honest . Some were looking for a new church and some were not Christian and knew nothing about Christ or how a church worked . I wore casual clothes and did not carry a bible .
On entering the home and introducing ourselves to them I tried to start everyday conversation . If they had children I asked them simple question about what they did for fun or what the pets name was . These folks were always nervous and didn't know what to expect .
When we got to finding out about each other things got more relaxed . At that point I would tell them ...........I'm here to answer your questions , not ask questions and if I don't know the answer I will find it for you .

To this day thats still the way I witness . Home visitation ended long ago , folks don't want anyone coming to their home . But in public you have waiting rooms , barber shops , on the job , restaurants , etc . The opportunity is still there to witness , I try everyday .

Preacher Jim
04-20-2016, 10:41 PM
What God has done for you should be more important than what people think about you.

Boaz
04-20-2016, 10:57 PM
I agree Jim .

shoot-n-lead
04-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Effective witnessing is not a "one size fits all" deal. Some people require a subtle approach that works it's way toward their acceptance and some will be open to a very direct approach. It is kind of incumbent upon you, to feel them out and decide which is the more effective route. I am pretty clumsy at all of it, and I think it is because of the way that I was saved. No one personally witnessed to me and helped me understand about salvation and how I could be saved. I had been more or less brought up in church and I new most of the details and workings of salvation. It just took until I was about 11yrs old for it to happen. My family attended our small country church's revival and on the first or second night I fought the conviction that I was feeling and did not go down the isle. On the next night, the conviction was there again and I went right down the isle...I was more broken and desperate than I had ever been in my life and perhaps, ever have been. So, honestly, the idea of being talked to about salvation, does not resonate with me because I went down the isle under an incredible amount of conviction. Again, honestly, I just don't remember a time in my life that I did not believe in GOD. Consequently, I have always been at somewhat of a loss in trying to talk to someone that is not sure if GOD exists.

By the way, 4 members of my family walked the isle during that one week revival. PRAISE GOD!

Boaz
04-21-2016, 06:30 AM
Effective witnessing is not a "one size fits all" deal. Some people require a subtle approach that works it's way toward their acceptance and some will be open to a very direct approach. It is kind of incumbent upon you, to feel them out and decide which is the more effective route. I am pretty clumsy at all of it, and I think it is because of the way that I was saved. No one personally witnessed to me and helped me understand about salvation and how I could be saved. I had been more or less brought up in church and I new most of the details and workings of salvation. It just took until I was about 11yrs old for it to happen. My family attended our small country church's revival and on the first or second night I fought the conviction that I was feeling and did not go down the isle. On the next night, the conviction was there again and I went right down the isle...I was more broken and desperate than I had ever been in my life and perhaps, ever have been. So, honestly, the idea of being talked to about salvation, does not resonate with me because I went down the isle under an incredible amount of conviction. Again, honestly, I just don't remember a time in my life that I did not believe in GOD. Consequently, I have always been at somewhat of a loss in trying to talk to someone that is not sure if GOD exists.

By the way, 4 members of my family walked the isle during that one week revival. PRAISE GOD!

That must have been a great revival ! Thank you for testimony , this is the first post I have read this morning and you started my day off in a wonderful way ! I love to hear shared testimony , I enjoy giving it . It's one of the most important contributions we can make to others and to Christ himself whether public or in sharing with one person . Public profession of faith serves all , shows your conviction , commitment and love of our Lord , it inspires and confirms . Thank you .

WRideout
04-21-2016, 06:52 AM
In my day job I work with a lot of lost, lonely and desparate people. I don't proselytize, but sometimes, when talking about their sources of support, I will ask if they have a sense of spirituality. Many times, people who have nothing else, will say they do have faith in God. I encourage them to cling to that faith.
Wayne

buckwheatpaul
04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
In my day job I work with a lot of lost, lonely and desparate people. I don't proselytize, but sometimes, when talking about their sources of support, I will ask if they have a sense of spirituality. Many times, people who have nothing else, will say they do have faith in God. I encourage them to cling to that faith.
Wayne

Wayne has a very good point....being subtle, testing the water so to speak, can plant the seeds that God will take over and water and allow to flower into belief.....

Preacher Jim
04-21-2016, 08:39 AM
sometimes i feel like i am preaching to the choir when all i talk to is fellow Christians. that reminded me that to witness i have to carry the message out to everyone i come in contact with each day. we encourage one another but are we taking that encouragement and translating it into action in the fields. Jesus looked upon the fields and said, "the fields are ripe for harvest but the workers are few". We need to carry the testimony to those we come in contact with everyday. Remember it is not our responsibility to win them, that is the work of the Holy Spirit, we are only required to go and tell. We are seed planters, watering devices, cultivators, reapers once in a while. there is nothing to reap if the steps are not followed. Prayer without action is words!

johnson1942
04-21-2016, 10:45 AM
remember, not by might nor by power but by my spirit says the Lord of Hosts. every day when you get up is different than the last. follow the Holy Spirits leading. some days the Holy Spirit has nothing for you to do and that is ok. then one day he will lay something on your heart and you have to do it or prepare to do it, (set it in motion). that is called walking in the Spirit. remember when the Holy Spirit is touching your heart to do something he is also touching someone else also. recently a good christian friend of mine seemed very worn out, mental and physical. no fun in his life. God spoke in my ear, take him fishing. so i looked on the internet and saterday is very little wind and 80 degrees. i called him and he is all up and ready to go. their is a little sandhill lake 50 miles way out their full of sun fish. he rarely gets to fish and it is just the thing to lift his spirits. not every thing we have to do by the Holy Spirit has to be reaping lost sinners. building up the body of believers in their mind and spirit is important also. also prayer, if the Holy Spirit Lays it on your heart to pray for some one, do it. pray untill you feel a release and only quit praying when you feel that release. every day is different, walking with the Holy Spirit is so much better than walking ahead of the Holy Spirit.

Blackwater
04-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Johnson makes a great point. When you find someone you think might be prepared to accept Christ, sometimes you have to plan a way to get them in the MOOD to do so. This can be as simple as a fishing trip, as he says. After all, getting "out there" in God's creation tends to be a pretty fruitful place to discuss the serious things in life. And it often helps to have a lead-in and preparatory question at some point where it seems natural and appropriate to ask, like "What do you think about (fill in the blank)?" This could be something that is commonly talked about like politics, something in the news, or whatever you think might lend itself to your going into your response, that might be something like, "Well, I'm a Christian, and I believer God's in control, but that He doesn't make bad things happen, but merely won't prevent us from reaping the natural results of our own wills, and I believe that (fill in the blank again with whatever you think). From there, I'll try to gently and very casually ask if they believe in Christ, and if they respond negatively and seem not to want to discuss it, I'll generally try the "yes but" technique, and just smile, and say something like "I can't blame you for that. Sometimes people who prosteletyze annoy me too, and I'm a believer." And I mean it because it's true. People who seem to try to steam-roller folks with fire and brimstone type stuff, or who spout Bible verses, aren't even trying to make a connection with the individual involved at all, but trying to go with their own limited perceptions is about what they're supposed to do. They don't often seem to be enjoying the process either, their own selves.

I take my cue on that from the way Jesus always seemed to speak in very simple terms, most of the time, especially when witnessing Himself. Rarely did he seem to raise his voice. He stands at the door and knocks, and he does it humbly and leaves the decision to answer that knock completely up to each individual. I also know that people today clearly demonstrate a near universal displeasure at being talked "down" to, or being approached in an authoritative manner. Christ never did that, but approached slowly and meekly, and HE was the SON OF GOD! If He did it that way, don't we need to assume that He was modelling for us, and showing us how to approach those who haven't yet made their own commitment? That's my take on it, anyway. Nothing and nobody can overcome a potential convert's will. They have to be open, and the best way to get them to open their door is the same as it'd be if someone came to YOUR door and wanted in. If they seem insistent, it's unlikely that I'd do anything but get my gun and meet them and "reason" with them in an equally or superior authoritative way. The person who you are trying to introduce to Christ will almost always react in a similar manner. Anything authoritative and insistent tends to make them lock their doors, while good humor, easy casualness and sincerity tend to make them at least leave it cracked a bit. And a crack is all you'll ever really get in any initial contact, and sometimes, it takes any number of subtle and casual but repeated efforts to win them over. How could it really be any different, really, with all the stuff today we HAVE to reject that we hear? It gets to be a habit after a while, to just refuse everything except what we figure we really need, so they're going to pretty well do the same, aren't they?

And another key to gaining converts is the aftermath. In my own Baptist faith, most seem to act, if not think, that once someone walks the aisle, that's it! It's over, adn the "battle" has been won. In my eldest grandson's case, when he walked the aisle some years ago, everyone congratulated him and said how happy they were at what he'd done. I was the lone one who smiled, said how proud I was for him and of him, and said, "Now the hardest part begins." He looked at me like I had two heads! I just smiled and said, "Now you've got to learn how to DO the things that Christ told us to do, and that'll take the rest of your life." I thought I saw the light bulb go on in his eyes, but he was too happy and busy right then to worry about the future that lay ahead of him. Not an unreasonable thing at all. But followup is, I think in most cases, the real key to getting them to really realize the fullness of faith, and that's pretty well always going to take some reading privately on their part, and they need to be given some good advice on what to read to guide their development of their own faith's fullness. Personally, I like G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis, but there are many others who can do a good job here. The reason I like Chesterton and Lewis is simply because they never take on the issue of faith head on, but deal with all sorts of common situations in life, and simply demonstrate in their writings how crucial faith can be in handling the everyday considerations we all meet along our pathways in life.

When newbies read the Bible, it can be very perplexing trying to discern what it really means, without some training and instruction in its interpretation, and each one of us is entitled to, if not outright required, to develop our own interpretations of it. This, then, tends to indicate that it's really not the best way to find Truth in it. Sometimes, reading the Bible can give rise to more questions than answers, and this can cause confusion, especially in the newbie to faith. Getting some to read a book today, can be a pipedream, though. Most figure that when they get out of high school or college, that they'll NEVER HAVE to read another book again, and are GLAD of it! Even so, if you drop enough quotes, some at least will get interested enough to read at least one book. Choose it carefully. Very few will read more than one book, but you never really know who that person will be, and, as is so often the case with us humans, it's surprising sometimes who those people are who DO respond, so don't EVER think you've got it all planned out, because though plans are necessary sometimes, they usually never go quite like we envision, and we have to keep "light on our feet," and able to go with the flow, wherever that leads. If we do that, it usually impresses those we're trying to bring to belief.

And that's pretty good advice about witnessing always - stay nimble, because you never really know where it's all gonna' lead the two of you, and keep your good humor and casual and faithful demeanor, no matter what. If you ever catch them in a bad mood, just apologize, say something like "Oh! I'm sorry. Didn't mean to intrude when you're just not in the mood for it. Let's talk about something else," and then, just show some interest in them and what's going on that has them in a bad mood, but again, keep your casual demeanor and good humor in it, while showing genuine interest in them as a person and a friend.

Mostly, it's just observation combined with good common sense, and reason, and a knowledge of what it takes to really and truly come to belief. When they find it's a humbling thing, and that being humbled isn't the horrible experience they feared it was, you have some momentum built up. Don't let it sit idle. But don't be too insistent, either! For almost all of us, it took years to get our faith to the point where it is now, and it's going to almost surely be the same for them, too, so don't rush it. Rushing always keeps things from sinking in. Just let it proceed at its own natural pace.

We have a tendency today to try to rush everything, and in witnessing, that can be the biggest turnoff for those we want to bring to Christ that we can display. So take it slow, and listen and observe VERY acutely, and let them lead you as much as possible. That's how Christ seemed to do it, and I think it's how we're supposed to do it, too.

Boaz
04-21-2016, 05:51 PM
There are many different ways to determine the needs of different people . I usually just use normal conversation that's interesting without being intrusive . Sooner or later I'll ask where they attend church . If they belong to a church I try at that point to simply encourage their attendance . If someone is happy where they are I'm glad for them . I'm not out to just gather members for my church .

Preacher Jim
04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Effective witnesses show Jesus in their every day life, word mean little till they see love in action, difference in how you deal with negatives and how you live every time something ticks you off.

Boaz
04-22-2016, 06:35 AM
Jim is right . You have to..'Practice what you preach'.

6bg6ga
04-22-2016, 06:50 AM
I had a nice reply and went to post it only to be told it was too short. When you speak of witnessing are you speaking of going up to an unknown individual and asking if they are saved?

Boaz
04-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Witnessing can be many things . Yes , spreading the gospel to one's you don't know or do know . It's also as Jim commented , the way you live is also witnessing to others .
I wouldn't just walk up to strangers this day and time and ask if they are saved . You will be rejected and no purpose served . Witnessing can take many forms , you have to consider different situational common sense factors to actually be successful in starting spiritual growth in another .
Witnessing can be helping another Christian through encouraging with prayer , or simply being encouraging , etc . Witnessing takes many forms , any time you speak or act to promote Christ you are witnessing . You witness constantly by the way you live .

Blackwater
04-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Amen, Jim! I recently told an 80+ yr. old woman who's simply amazing, that I knew she was a Christian the first time I laid eyes on her. She wrinkled her brow in disbelief, and asked "How did you know that?" I just smiled and told her that it was because of the look in her eyes, the way she carried herself with pride and humility at the same time, and the look on her face of fearlessness, but with genuine concern that showed through like a beacon in the night. She raised her eyebrows as if to say, "Wow! I never thought of how that works." She knew me well enough to know I sincerely meant it and that it was true.

We have many ways via which we betray what's really going on inside us. Collectively, these means are generally called "body language," and if you learn to read it well, it'll give you lots of cues that most folks miss, typically. I've always found it kind'a amazing how no matter how hard we try to conceal our true motivations and sentiments, they always seem to come out anyway, and most of the time, it's we who betray our own selves and our selfish interests and purposes. Truth seems to come out no matter how hard we try to suppress it, and hide it. And the harder we try to hide it, the more likely it is to betray us. Ain't it funny how that works.

johnson1942
04-22-2016, 09:08 AM
when you let the Holy Spirit lead, some one may have planted and it could have been years ago. someone may have watered and someone may have weeded and then the Holy Spirit leads you to that person and you reap the person into the body of believers. also we tend to forget those that are believers once they are a part of us. prayer is always needed by someone in the church, never neglect this. i find the best definition of love is one that came from a medical dictionary when i was in college way back when. LOVE= CONCERN FOR SOME ONE AND THE DISPLAY OF THAT CONCERN. display of that concern is the key here. concern with out display of it is like a loaded cartridge sitting in a drawer and never used, put it in a gun and shoot a deer and you got meat. putting it in the gun and shooting it is the display of concern. also when you talk to someone ask this if the moment allows it. what do you need or do you have some concerns. if they offer some, ask if it is ok to pray about their concerns. an answered prayer is the best testimony their is.

Boaz
04-22-2016, 04:29 PM
I understand and agree . It takes patience .