PDA

View Full Version : I have an addiction

james23
04-19-2016, 11:35 PM
I have an addiction. Just about every gun show I go to, I find I cannot pass by a table loaded with brass without buying. I have brass in some calibres to last a lifetime but cant seem to pass up a good deal. Buy in multiples and make it even cheaper ! Molds are a little different but if its new and not something I have ? O well the boys will be well set in the future. I better get back to resizing brass.

Scharfschuetze
04-20-2016, 01:19 AM
Better get some powder and primers too!

Big Dangle
04-20-2016, 01:53 AM
I'm the same way at ranges, I know I have tons of 9mm but I can't help it gotta grab it.

Rustyleee
04-20-2016, 03:38 AM
And you come here to get people to talk you out of it?

Sasquatch-1
04-20-2016, 06:10 AM
At the club I belong to we have been discussing the opening of a Brassaholics Anonymous chapter. :bigsmyl2:

04-20-2016, 06:36 AM
And you come here to get people to talk you out of it?

That's what I was thinking. We're enablers here, you're not going to find help here. Lol. It's funny how before I was reloading and casting, I'd sweep away the brass. Now it bothers me when someone else sweeps it away. Don't they know what nectar it is! At the range I seem to be the guy the range officer offers brass to. I had a nice conversation with a guy about his muzzle loader and when he was packing up he offered me all of his 223 brass from the day as well. I'm not actively rummaging through the range trash cans but I'll take any of it, clean it and put it away. You never know when they'll take it all away.

Right now the federal government is dismantling the radio control model airplane hobby. 100 years of model airplanes just about to get taken away. We already have to register with the FAA now to be allowed to fly model aircraft and have to have our FAA UAS federal ID number on every model we fly. Now there is legislation with the senate that will require any future model airplanes to be built to meet some arbitrary federal standards.

Don't take firearms, shooting and casting for granted. It could be gone in a heartbeat. Squirrel away that brass.

GhostHawk
04-20-2016, 09:36 AM
I was lucky, our range sells 25 pound boxes of brass pretty reasonably. 50$ for 25# of 9mm, .40 bit more for .45acp.

Once I had 3 of those boxes, one in each caliber in my basement. My urge to gather brass evaporated.

Having a thousand each of .223 rem and 7.62x39 did not hurt anything either.

Grab what I want when I want, deprime, citric acid bath, then size, flare, prime, charge, and load.
50 rounds, 100 rounds, 150 rounds, whatever I feel I need. And the boxes sit there. Labeled clearly, notations on top of how many were removed, and when so I can track use, total rounds, etc.

Pretty good investment in my opinion.

w5pv
04-20-2016, 09:48 AM
My addiction is cleaning cloths and place mats.The mats I use to work on my reloading bench bench on they are soft and don't mar up anything that I am working on.

mdi
04-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Heck, if you come here for "help", the only help you'll get is how to get more brass...

runfiverun
04-20-2016, 11:56 AM
more likely where to mail that extra brass.

it's P.O. box 354.

Teddy (punchie)
04-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Yep go came to the right place, we will all help you out!!

Budzilla 19
04-21-2016, 01:45 AM
I cant help it, i pick up brass for rifles and pistols I don't even own! (I might need it) LOL. Addicted is putting it mildly! Obsessed is more like it! Sorry, gotta go, more brass in polisher needs to be changed out. Not going to load it, just look at it!! Hahahaha!!! (evil laugh inserted here). Later.

PBaholic
04-21-2016, 01:08 PM
I went to the scrap yard, and they had a 55 gallon drum full of really nice looking brass. It came from a local range. I sorted through it, and took home 25 lbs of .357, .38 and .45, but considered buying the whole thing.....

It was only $1.50/lb, which comes out to 1.5 to 1.8 cents each.

jimb16
04-21-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm managing my addiction. When the shelf in the ammo cabinet cannot hold another round of that caliber, the brass goes into a scrap box. When the scrap box is full, it goes to the scrap dealer for $. When the next show comes around, the $ goes with me and miraculously turns into another mold! This is a simple 3 step program for managing the urge to pick up brass. Now does anyone have a 3 step program for managing boolit mold purchasing?

Jayhawkhuntclub
04-21-2016, 09:04 PM
You people are sick. Okay, me too.:bigsmyl2: I see brass and I have trouble walking past it. I'm glad people don't care about 9mm brass. I have plenty, but someday I may need some trade bait. Also just built an AR9. Talk about being able to go through brass/ammo! Of course the real good days involve piles of 380 or 45 acp or 223/5.56! Also got a Hornady AP for my 50th B-day. It needs to be fed and it eats a lot![smilie=l:

gwpercle
04-22-2016, 07:11 PM
I've got that one too and a used mould addiction. Years ago , when nobody reloaded , I Would go to the range just to sweep up and trash barrel dive...shooting wasn't a real priority. Then the dreaded , can't pass up an unloved neglected mould thing got me , then E-bay made buying used moulds way too easy. Now I've discovered NOE moulds.... Lord do I need an intervention !
We need to form a support group, you know , so we can help each other find stuff we need...yeah , that's the ticket !
Gary

jimb16
04-22-2016, 09:02 PM
This morning, I went out to shoot skeet. Had another attack. I arrived a bit early and hit the pistol range for another 50 or so 9s and .380s. When I got to the skeet range, I dove into the dumpster for another once fired AA hulls that someone had carelessly tossed. Then it was the trash barrel for once fired 28 ga hulls (two boxes full) I guess I need further treatments, particularly since I don't even have a 28 ga.!

paraord
04-23-2016, 07:18 AM
I'm around 1200 pieces of brass in for my 44....and it looks just as enticing every time I see it for sale. Better get another thousand! You can only reload it 7-10 times or more haha

snowtigger
04-24-2016, 12:46 AM
1200, heck, I have 700 pieces of new 44mag brass. I don't use it because I have at least 5,000 rounds of once fired , plus about 3000 loaded 44 mag. even have a few hundred J word rounds loaded. 9mm, I don't have a clue. The only rifle I don't have an excess of is 7.7 Jap. bought it for the action and went another way. I just could not leave it alone. It seemed to be lonely, so I had to buy some brass and load 50 or so. I even shot it once.
I do not need help, unless it is help finding 308 Norma brass.