PDA

View Full Version : Weird Issue: Two Molds both having similar issue.

Rich22
04-19-2016, 11:02 PM
So the last two times I have used two of my molds I have been having an issue with the bases. For several thousand bullets these two molds worked flawlessly when up to temp. The fillout is still perfect when up to temp but the bases on one or two cavities are having excess flashing around the bases. The MP brass started first early last week and then on Thursday the NOE began to exhibit the same behavior. I have played with sprue plate adjustments and taken them both apart and cleaned them with no improvement as of yet. I would almost think it is something that I did to both of them or my alloy but since these things were working flawlessly, I obviously did not adjust anything and the alloy is the same as I have been using or months including the 10000 plus bullets that have come out of these things correctly. Any ideas would be great, going from 10 rejects per thousand to several hundred is no good. In the pictures the brass has a problem on the bottom cavity and the aluminum has a problem on the second from the top. Oh and before I forget, it is not always the same cavity but some are more frequent then others and a few have never had a problem. I would need to try again to remember which they are but will do so if it helps figure out the problem.

Thank you

BK7saum
04-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Did the sprue plate hinge area get a little dry? I'd remove the sprue plate and check for a bit of galling, then re-lube and assemble. Another thing to look at is if the sprue plate is too tight or too loose. But you may already have checked those potential problems.

Sorry. Just reread a little more carefully and see that you've already addressed. Should read the entire post before responding, DOH

Mica_Hiebert
04-19-2016, 11:08 PM
Too hot of aloy temp if your having same issue with 2 molds.

tward
04-20-2016, 02:41 PM
I had a similar problem with a NOE mold. I took it apart and gently polished the bottom of the sprue plate with 800 grit wet and dry on a flat surface, use a figure 8 pattern. Turned out to be a small burr on the bolt hole. Tim:bigsmyl2:

Rich22
04-21-2016, 12:26 AM
Did the sprue plate hinge area get a little dry? I'd remove the sprue plate and check for a bit of galling, then re-lube and assemble. Another thing to look at is if the sprue plate is too tight or too loose. But you may already have checked those potential problems.

Sorry. Just reread a little more carefully and see that you've already addressed. Should read the entire post before responding, DOH

May not have looked at lubing the hinge area. I have sprue lubed both of the molds

Rich22
04-21-2016, 12:27 AM
Too hot of aloy temp if your having same issue with 2 molds.

Same alloy temp as I have been using for months. They, esp the NOE likes it fairly hot and as fast as I can fill and dump. I did try varying temp within reason, I went as high as 780 and as low as 700, normally I keep 750 range

Rich22
04-21-2016, 12:28 AM
I had a similar problem with a NOE mold. I took it apart and gently polished the bottom of the sprue plate with 800 grit wet and dry on a flat surface, use a figure 8 pattern. Turned out to be a small burr on the bolt hole. Tim:bigsmyl2:

THAT I did not consider let me break out the 800 1000 and 1500 and give it a few passes