PDA

View Full Version : Cody Conundrum

TXGunNut
04-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Got answers to my inquiries to the Cody Museum today, I suspected two would be very interesting but I was wrong about which two and why. I have an 1894 in 38-55 that left the factory in 1904 as a 32-40. It was repaired and returned in 1907. Odd. The unusual half-round 1894 in 30-30 that I just purchased left the factory in 1902...as a 38-55 :holysheep with an octagon barrel. No other details on either, other than plain triggers. Was noticing tonight neither barrel or receiver had proof marks. I believe the 30-30 should have had them if the barrel was swapped at the factory. Barrel markings appear correct but will verify that and check for markings on the bottom side of the barrel under the fore end wood.
Didn't put a lot into either but was pretty sure that 1894 with the half-round barrel, pistol grip stock, shotgun butt, express rear sight and button magazine was a special order rifle.
Very interesting, and maybe a little disappointing.

TXGunNut
04-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Thanks, PB. I need to refresh my memory a bit in that area. I've read Madis' book once and plan on taking another trip thru it.
Only info for the 1907 visit was the date and "repaired and returned". The images I've seen of these records don't have room for much else.
I thought the proof mark was applied to the rifles & carbines chambered for smokeless powder cartridges. Most of my older rifles are chambered for BP cartridges but I thought I'd read that somewhere.

stubbicatt
04-21-2016, 04:33 AM
Silly question, but how does one go about getting a Cody letter?

Shawlerbrook
04-21-2016, 05:49 AM
https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/

Try this link or just google Cody Winchester Records.

pietro
04-21-2016, 08:46 AM
According to The Winchester Book, Model 1894 Winchesters below serial number 350,000 (1906) seldom exhibit the WP proof mark, after 350,000 it will be found on most arms.

This could explain why your two receivers were not proof marked when manufactured.

From my understanding, ANY factory re-barrel done after the SN 300,000 production range change noted above would definitely carry a barrel proofmark - except (probably) re-barreling done on an older, non-proofmarked receiver.

Winchester was evidently reluctant to subject a customer's previously unproofed receiver to the chance of blowing up from a proof load.

TXGunNut
04-21-2016, 08:55 PM
Silly question, but how does one go about getting a Cody letter?

If you'll PM me the serial & model number I should be able to tell you what info is available for that model & serial range. An inquiry costs less than a letter, sometimes little or nothing is available.

TXGunNut
04-21-2016, 10:13 PM
Pulled the fore ends off both rifles tonight, neither had a date. The 38-55 barrel was so marked and both had the VP proof marks and 94 model markings. Both had a "3" very close to the threads but I don't know what that means.