PDA

View Full Version : Hollow base bullets in bpcr

guninhand
05-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi folks.

I want to shoot hollow base bullets in a bpcr, but what to do to avoid that air space in the hollow base. (the bullet was intended for a muzzle loader).

Do I forget about using a milk carton wad and hope seating the bullet will fill the air space with powder?

Or do I use a wad and fill the hollow base with bullet lube?

Or is there another option?

Skipper
05-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Disregard the air space or fill it with lube, your choice.

Buckshot
05-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Disregard the air space or fill it with lube, your choice.

...................Amen.

..............Buckshot

martinibelgian
05-10-2008, 05:41 AM
IME you can have up to 30% of aire in the case, and not have anything happen... Let alone that tiny bit from the HB of a bullet. In your ML, there will also some air in the HB, why would a cartridge be different?

JeffinNZ
05-10-2008, 06:00 AM
IME you can have up to 30% of aire in the case, and not have anything happen... Let alone that tiny bit from the HB of a bullet. In your ML, there will also some air in the HB, why would a cartridge be different?

Good point MartiniB. .577 Minies for example.

13Echo
05-10-2008, 07:55 AM
The original loading for the 45-70 Springfield was a 405gr hollow base bullet.

Jerry Liles

guninhand
05-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I have almost no experience with bp, and every where you read it says airspace between bp and the projectile is likely to result in a blow up.

I assumed that in a muzzle loader, the heavy bullet seating force would get the skirt of the projectile down into the powder and pressure would crunch powder up into the hollow base.

I thought that trying the same in a brass case might bulge the brass, especially if there's a lot of hollow in the hollow base.

I guess lube in the base is best option, but I wonder how it might effect accuracy depending on how it gets flushed out or otherwise acted upon during the detonation.

martinibelgian
05-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Just try nothing - you won't blow up the rifle, and that lube can still contaminate your powder charge... You'll read lots of things on the 'net, and 50+% is nothing but hearsay. Of course, if you feel that way about it, then use solid-base bullets, you won't have to worry...

Skipper
05-10-2008, 10:29 AM
If the lube concerns you, don't use it. I've been loading 405 hollow base for many years without it.

Black Prince
05-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Guninhand

Most of this is common sense. The problem is that with today's government run schools, there isn't a lot of that around any more. The guys who frequent this site all seem to have experience in these things and can be a great source of accurate information without most of the usual BS. And if they do BS you, they'll always give out coupons for a free facial treatment at Spa Sydell.

And some of us are glad to get them because we need it. :)

guninhand
05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'll load them like in a muzzle loader. I got 5 bullets as samples to test before deciding to invest in the mold.

Buckshot
05-11-2008, 03:05 AM
..............Those talking of airspace in a BPC mean like loading a 45-70 carbine load ie: 55grs BP and then sticking a 405gr slug in the case with the powder just sloshing around. The gubmint filled up the room with wads.

................Buckshot

13Echo
05-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I've been shooting the Lee 405 HB in mine and a friends Trapdoors. The bullet is cast of 30:1 lead tin alloy, pan lubed with the base carefully wiped and loaded over 59grs of FFg Goex compressed to seat the bullet to allow a firm crimp over the front band. I don't use a wad or fill the hollow base. The load is accurate in the Springfields but appears to require the firm crimp, which, I believe allows pressure to build enough for the bullet to bump up to fill the rather large groove diameter of the Springfield rifle. This load is largely based on Spence Wolf's recommendations in his book.

Jerry Liles